Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Hurricane Lane - Hawaii

As reported by Birdtravels NCL Pride of America changing itinerary this week.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2670398

All the islands under watches at least, about half the areas are under warnings.

It isn't obvious yet, but Kauai is in the target. All Maui is under warning because they are depending on a turn to NW to avoid a direct hit.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tc_graphics/2018/graphics/EP142018_3day_cone_no_line_32.png

watches & warnings:

Issued: 22 Aug 2018 5:45 am HST

New information

CHANGES TO WATCHES AND WARNINGS:

A Hurricane Watch has been issued for Kauai Leeward, Kauai Mountains, Kauai Windward, and Niihau

The Hurricane Watch has been upgraded to a Hurricane Warning for Haleakala Summit, Kahoolawe, Lanai Makai, Lanai Mauka, Leeward Haleakala, Maui Central Valley, Maui Leeward West, Maui Windward West, Molokai Leeward, Molokai Windward, and Windward Haleakala

CURRENT WATCHES AND WARNINGS:

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Central Oahu, Kauai Leeward, Kauai Mountains, Kauai Windward, Niihau, Oahu Koolau, Oahu North Shore, Oahu South Shore, Olomana, Waianae Coast, and Waianae Mountains

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for Big Island Interior, Big Island North and East, Big Island Summits, Haleakala Summit, Kahoolawe, Kohala, Kona, Lanai Makai, Lanai Mauka, Leeward Haleakala, Maui Central Valley, Maui Leeward West, Maui Windward West, Molokai Leeward, Molokai Windward, South Big Island, and Windward Haleakala

Good news this morning is the forecast path is still offshore, and even better a curve is developing that could spare Kauai from much impact. Bad news is the approach to Maui, Molokai and Oahu is pretty close, with a good chance of hurricane force winds reaching the south shores. I think it is highly unlikely based on this graphic that Pride of America can be in port Saturday, and I would expect a day's delay. And I would expect a lot of canceled flights into Oahu Friday and Saturday. Note in this graphic you can see where there are hurricane force winds and tropical storm strength winds.

EP142018_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind_35A.png

Major flooding already going on the Big Island. They are of course out of the cone. Got my brother and wife living on that island.

My son lives in Oahu so he is hunkering down. My nephew happens to also live there since he is at UH.

I'll post some live updates as I get them as my son is an officer in the Army so is getting updates from them as well as the news.

Oahu could be a in bit of trouble. The wind shear has good and bad news today. It's of course had the storm lose strength, the bad is that same wind is steering the storm a bit closer than they anticipated.

This 6 hour time difference is killing me!

Thanks Carolyn! I agree on the 6 hour difference... makes it hard to keep up!

5am HST update from NOAA is improving. Storm is forecast to weaken a little faster and stay offshore with the curve away from Kauai increasing. Still going to be interfering with Airport and Seaport Saturday in Honolulu.

For passengers embarking this Saturday August 25th, will NCL provide hotel rooms if the sailing is delayed?

For passengers embarking this Saturday August 25th, will NCL provide hotel rooms if the sailing is delayed?

Based on recent other delays, I would not expect it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

EP142018_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind_35A.png

It looks to be far enough offshore which will limit wind damage. The onshore wind with wave battering is going to be the problem.

I wonder how the Kona area will be affected by surge and flooding. Honolulu will also be exposed to an onshore wind flow a storm surge. I have not seen any surge maps for these locations.

If you are there now, keep your room.

If you are there, what are the local stations expecting?

Big Island is now on Tropical Storm warning. Flooding in the Hilo area is horrible. They have gotten about 20 inches of rain. My brother is over by Kona and they have had rain but nothing at all like Hilo. No storm surge as as of 10 pm EST there were waves which were unusual as they weren’t rolling in the typical pattern. Don’t expect any storm surge there.

Winds are now picking up over on Oahu and they have had some light showers on and off. They sounded the alarms at 4 PM for 3 minutes to warn people of the impending storm. Just hung up with my son and he said there are lots of dark clouds out there and you can see the storm coming.

The area of Waikiki down by the famed Royal Hawaiian could be in a bit of trouble. Storm gets too close and they could have very large waves actually pounding into the buildings. Only time will tell if this happens.

Winds are now down to 120 mph and the storm has slowed to an excruciating 6 mph. It needs to speed up a bit so the rains can move out.

Hopefully this bad boy stays further out so the islands are spared.

This morning the storm is weaker but the track is still very close to the islands, and it is moving slowly. Seeing the results of so much rain and wind from Hawaii and it's not good.

Over on the NCL board, current and upcoming cruisers report they are now getting messages from NCL and what seemed obvious - a change in schedule for Pride to be in port Monday. The storm will be parked off Honolulu Saturday morning!

Hoping it continues on the predicted path to keep hurricane force winds off shore. Here's the forecast.

EP142018_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind_39A.png

Hurricane Lane is weakening to a tropical storm more quickly now and staying well offshore. Good news for this morning. The rain has been bad enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk