Cruise Critic Community
awestover89

Buying drinks for others when you have the package

We are leaving tonight for a family cruise and I want to buy the first $100 or so of drinks for my two brothers. I meant to buy OBC but lost track of time, and this close to sailing I'm hesitant to try and make any changes at all until we get on board.

Once on board can we add OBC to another room via credit card/our Seapass, or would it be possible for us to just order their first handful of drinks on our cards and get our drinks for free with the package while paying for theirs?

If you have OBC on your account, you can transfer it to anyone else's account. If you have cash, you can add that as credit to anyone else's account. Not sure if you can use a credit card to add credit to another's account, but I suspect you can.

You can also use your SeaPass card to buy drinks for others.

You can simply BUY others drinks as you wish, and use your package for you. If you want to put $$ on someone's account,use the cash method...you don't want your card linked to their account, as they could charge whatever they wanted to.....

We are leaving tonight for a family cruise and I want to buy the first $100 or so of drinks for my two brothers. I meant to buy OBC but lost track of time, and this close to sailing I'm hesitant to try and make any changes at all until we get on board.

Once on board can we add OBC to another room via credit card/our Seapass, or would it be possible for us to just order their first handful of drinks on our cards and get our drinks for free with the package while paying for theirs?

Yes if you go to the bar and only have one seapass with a drinks package and order 3 they will issue you a receipt which you will have to sign so you will be charged for 2 drinks or as bob said go to guest services and stick $100 on there room/seapass.

Rcl doesn’t care who buys it

(flame retardant suit on). No you cannot use you r drink package to buy for others. This is the reason everyone in a cabin has to buy on if 1 person does. However like posted, you can use your package you can buy yourself one and then pay for 2 extra drinks. It is a nice gesture to want to buy all drinks but it hurts everyone around. If one is caught buying others drinks with their package, the card is revoked and one looses their money. Saw it happen last year. I recommend like others have, place it on their sea pass of get RCCL gift card.

BTW amscene1, I do care. It makes all of us that follow rules get penalized so "your kindness".

(flame retardant suit on). No you cannot use you r drink package to buy for others. This is the reason everyone in a cabin has to buy on if 1 person does. However like posted, you can use your package you can buy yourself one and then pay for 2 extra drinks. It is a nice gesture to want to buy all drinks but it hurts everyone around. If one is caught buying others drinks with their package, the card is revoked and one looses their money. Saw it happen last year. I recommend like others have, place it on their sea pass of get RCCL gift card.

BTW amscene1, I do care. It makes all of us that follow rules get penalized so "your kindness".

It’s very clear from the initial post that the OP wasn’t trying to use his beverage package to purchase drinks for others. They intended to pay for $100 of their friends’ drinks with their account (either through adding OBC to their stateroom or buying the drinks with their Seapass card when going to the bar to get their own drink), not give them $100 of free drinks using their beverage package.

The OP is not trying to abuse their drink package at all, they clearly state they want to buy the first $100 of drinks for their brothers.

Right, definitely not trying to share the package, I just wanted to be sure that it would work that we could pay for their drinks and get our own free drink without issue. If that wasn't possible for any reason (i.e. if Royal programs the cards such that all drinks attempted to be put on the card would fall under the package) then I would find another way to give them $100 worth; preferably via credit card for the points, but I'd be willing to do cash as well if necessary.

But it sounds like there will be no problems going to the bar as the four of us, ordering four drinks on our two cards and just paying for 2.

Take $100 cash and put it on their accounts. Using a credit care will work, but I had an issue with them putting it on my account (name issue) and the other family accounts.

Just my personal opinion, but even though it's possible to pay for their drinks with your card on a one-by-one basis, I would be inclined to just put $100 on their accounts of give them $100. That way you don't have to keep up with how much you have already purchased for each one, or deal with getting to the point where you say "ok, I'm not buying anymore, you're on your own now" which even if that's the agreement from the start, could still be an awkward moment.

Buy a couple $100 visa gift cards and put them toward their OBC. It's not connected to your personal c/c but will do the trick for your Brothers.....I always have a couple in my carry on bag in case I go over and don't want to walk off with a tab. :-)

the OP is clearly asking if he can CHARGE his sibling's drinks on HIS sea pass card while simultaneously using his drink k package for himself. at no point in his post did he suggest he was trying to get 3 drinks at a time under one package

Try actually reading the OP before responding. It isn't what they are talking about.