Why the Silence?

Hi everyone - After years of cruising, I just discovered Cruise Critic. Where have I been all this time, this is so much fun reading about different anecdotes related to my favorite pastime.

There is something I find as a bit of a surprise regarding the Seabourn forum. Management never responds to certain questions or issues like management often does on TripAdvisor. Since discovering Cruise Critic, I've been jumping around on the different forums of my preferred lines and have found that other lines' Guest/Public Relations regularly post answers or advice as how to address problems.

Considering all of the surveys Seabourn sends out, it is clear that our opinions matter to them so I am guessing they have someone in their offices glued to the computer screen reading what we have to say. So why the silence?

it is clear that our opinions matter to them so I am guessing they have someone in their offices glued to the computer screen reading what we have to say. So why the silence?

If the SB forum is monitored (and I doubt that it is) I don’t think they would be glued to their screens for long. It only takes about 15mins a day to read the number of additional daily posts on this forum.

Entering into open discussion with anonymous people who want to wash your and their laundry in public isn't everyone's idea of great PR.

The Seabourn machine isn't what you'd call "street", I think they like to do things at their own pace and are possibly a touch on the conservative side.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We are a tiny proportion of the guest list - look how quiet the roll calls are.

Henry :)

There are some lines that have a designated employee to respond to posts on this board. (Azamara for example). That poor person is barraged with questions along the lines of "Can I get corned beef hash at breakfast" and I feel really really sorry for her. She is paid to be polite and respond, although if I had that job I'd quit in a heartbeat. So .. I can't fault Seabourn for this.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I have to agree with Henry (post 5) and David (post 7) on this regarding the forum. I would prefer it to use CC as a way to gain factual information about ports, suite position etc or enjoying reading about people's cruises.

On board the ship you get a questionnaire mid ship plus the questionnaire at the end of the cruise. Also if you have a problem onboard The Head of Guest Services, Housekeeping, Restaurant Manager and Hotel Director I have found you can easily make an appointment to see. I have found them good at helping resolving situations as best they can.

I know those surveys are read and things do alter if there is enough input.....sometimes it takes awhile ie the smoking changes. But I have also over the years seen staff who we have praised on the surveys be promoted and the crew tell me the surveys help.

Julie

There are some lines that have a designated employee to respond to posts on this board. (Azamara for example). That poor person is barraged with questions along the lines of "Can I get corned beef hash at breakfast" and I feel really really sorry for her. She is paid to be polite and respond, although if I had that job I'd quit in a heartbeat. So .. I can't fault Seabourn for this.

This! I couldn’t agree more. Very well said.

Bonnie on the Azamara boards is the nicest person but her presence has done the forum no good. It’s now clogged up with her many marketing posts and announcements (shouldn’t be allowed imo) and endless threads with questions “attn Bonnie” like “is there Vegemite on board”, “what night is white night on my cruise”, “at what time does my ship sale” and “why is this tour at 9 am”.

I have to agree with Henry (post 5) and David (post 7) on this regarding the forum. I would prefer it to use CC as a way to gain factual information about ports, suite position etc or enjoying reading about people's cruises.

Exactly, and I enjoy that.

I'm sure that someone from Seabourn reads the posts on this board, but I don't blame them for not responding here. Anyone who has a real complaint knows that they can make it directly with the cruise line--which is the appropriate thing to do.

I think this is a great board for asking questions of other cruisers and giving an account of experiences on a SB cruise.

... Bonnie on the Azamara boards is the nicest person but her presence has done the forum no good. It’s now clogged up with her many marketing posts and announcements (shouldn’t be allowed imo) ...
So true. In recent years, the Azamara CBO has evolved into Chief Marketing Officer who never misses the opportunity to promote the cruiseline. Such was not the case under its first CBO (Bill Leiber) who worked tirelessly as a gateway for genuine 2-way exchange of info between CC members and Azamara management. He was a pioneer of the CBO role and I don't think he's been equaled to date. Not by Azamara. Not by Crystal. Not by Oceania. Not by Regent. If Seabourn could adopt the Bill Leiber model on this forum, I think we could have meaningful engagement and productive dialogue. If not, I'd rather they not comment but leave it to CC members to tell it like it is.

I feel pretty sure that someone from Seabourn reads this board, and also like to think that what is said can have some influence. However, I certainly would not expect anyone from the Company to be put forward as a spokesperson; just asking for trouble, IMO.

I feel pretty sure that someone from Seabourn reads this board, and also like to think that what is said can have some influence. However, I certainly would not expect anyone from the Company to be put forward as a spokesperson; just asking for trouble, IMO.

I would venture to say that 99% of questions can be answered by a good TA. For one reason many people would rather ask here than of the person who is working for them.

I would venture to say that 99% of questions can be answered by a good TA. For one reason many people would rather ask here than of the person who is working for them.

I agree a good TA is helpful but they can't know all the ships. My TA is excellent but she knows Regent and Crystal better then Seabourn. In fact she called me on Friday to ask a question about suite choice on Seabourn near the back elevators. I was able to give her some knowledge based on my experience.

This sharing of experience particular to Seabourn ships or cruises they do is where I have found CC useful. I am sure it is the same on other cruise line boards.

Julie

When researching a hotel on TripAdvisor, I do take note of how reviews are responded to by management. A hotel whose management does not bother to answer a critic is off my list. Just last week I was deciding between 3 different establishments in Beverly Hills; The Peninsula, Beverly Wilshire and the mythic BH hotel. I am happy to report all 3 participate in this form of communication.

Would you consider these hotels to be "street" as someone mentioned above?

My spouse and I have been sailing with Seabourn for many years. On occasion I have made very long, in depth comments on the post cruise surveys. Not once have I received a follow up e-mail or letter. I find it disrespectful on their part to be so one-sided. I hope some of you have had different experiences. I am only explaining what I have encountered.

Unless absolutely necessary, I choose not to address problems while on vacation and prefer to remain anonymous and discrete.

Could the Seabourn moderator (or maybe someone else) tell me how to order caviar for my face whilst I am enjoying a Nicholas Feuillatte footbath in the spa? Also, is Dr Andrew Weil's beard available for purchase for my next Halloween party? Does Thomas Keller have a cellar? ... Enlighten me Seabourn ;-)

When researching a hotel on TripAdvisor, I do take note of how reviews are responded to by management. A hotel whose management does not bother to answer a critic is off my list. Just last week I was deciding between 3 different establishments in Beverly Hills; The Peninsula, Beverly Wilshire and the mythic BH hotel. I am happy to report all 3 participate in this form of communication.

Would you consider these hotels to be "street" as someone mentioned above?

My spouse and I have been sailing with Seabourn for many years. On occasion I have made very long, in depth comments on the post cruise surveys. Not once have I received a follow up e-mail or letter. I find it disrespectful on their part to be so one-sided. I hope some of you have had different experiences. I am only explaining what I have encountered.

Unless absolutely necessary, I choose not to address problems while on vacation and prefer to remain anonymous and discrete.

BH Hotel, stayed there a few months ago, absolutely iconic, unique, the history oozed out of the walls.

MM

Could the Seabourn moderator (or maybe someone else) tell me how to order caviar for my face whilst I am enjoying a Nicholas Feuillatte footbath in the spa? Also, is Dr Andrew Weil's beard available for purchase for my next Halloween party? Does Thomas Keller have a cellar? ... Enlighten me Seabourn ;-)

When I said address certain issues and answer questions I meant having someone come on the forum to say "we are sorry you experienced this inconvenience, please contact us at at xxxxxxxxxx@seabourn.com etc. so that we can better take care of the situation.

The above sarcasm is lost on me. If I were to expose the problem I encountered on a sailing many years ago that led me to send a letter to the offices, at that time, in Miami, you would think twice before letting them take an imprint of your credit card for onboard purchases. . I never received a follow up letter from the cruise line. Fortunately American Express took over. Perhaps I did not go through the proper channels at the time.

Like I said, it was a long time ago. I still cruise with Seabourn, but obviously have trust issues. The fraud was not the fault of management, but by ignoring the situation leaves me doubting how they handle unpleasantries.

When I said address certain issues and answer questions I meant having someone come on the forum to say "we are sorry you experienced this inconvenience, please contact us at at xxxxxxxxxx@seabourn.com etc. so that we can better take care of the situation.

The above sarcasm is lost on me. If I were to expose the problem I encountered on a sailing many years ago that led me to send a letter to the offices, at that time, in Miami, you would think twice before letting them take an imprint of your credit card for onboard purchases. . I never received a follow up letter from the cruise line. Fortunately American Express took over. Perhaps I did not go through the proper channels at the time.

Like I said, it was a long time ago. I still cruise with Seabourn, but obviously have trust issues. The fraud was not the fault of management, but by ignoring the situation leaves me doubting how they handle unpleasantries.

They put their heads in the sand.

Your experience sounds awful. On top of it you must have been totally frustrated that you never had a response. I know how you feel.

Long live Amex