Baked Alaska

Firsttimer9

Had it once and that was enough. I thoroughly dislike the "parade" and the napkin waving. Pretty cool for a pre-school or something but not for me. I agree that it's one of the last nights or perhaps the actual last night before disembarkation.

The so-called Baked Alaska parade is usually the last night. Sometimes they will hold it the next to last night if the last day is a late port day.

I loved Baked Alaska back in the days when they really served Baked Alaska. When I first started cruising with Princess, the Assistant Waiters paraded with the real flaming Baked Alaska. They then brought it to the table. It was sloppy and messy - and delicious. They do not serve real Baked Alaska anymore. They parade with fake items with electric lights. They then bring you neat Neapolitan ice cream with meringue from the kitchen. It is not the same thing.

The parade also is not the same thing in anytime dining. In traditional dining, the parade occurs when everyone is ready for desert. In anytime dining, some people haven't even ordered their meals yet, and it is much more of an interruption.

It is usually on the last night and usually we do specialty dining the last night. So we don't get it often.

I like the idea of it, but you have to sit through the parade (yawn) and then it's tiny, but it's usually the last night. You can ask your first night at dinner in the MDR and they can reconfirm. If your waiter doesn't know, the head waiter will know.

For a first timer, it adds to the magic of the cruise, so I hope you get the whole parade, music, and fun.

I think people forget that feeling on a first cruise where everything is memorable. I don’t think any of us should try to take that away from anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What they carry and what you get served are not the same thing unless you eat plastic

Correct, reusable plastic fakes of Baked Alaska, paraded through the Dining Rooms. You get the Neapolitan Ice cream with a bit of Meringue version.:rolleyes::o

Apparently, the Baked Alaska lovers outnumber the folks who are tired of it...there sure are a lot of napkin twirlers in the MDR during the parade.

Hey, there...could you check your font settings, you posts are coming in very tiny....

Years ago we ejoyed the real flaming parade & the real baked Alaska .Now ,I have a standing order for every dinner meal desert for sugar free butter pecan ice cream .It is my favorite & the maitre' D takes car of my request :p

I have always thought it’s more to make a big deal out of dinner (introduce staff, etc) to subtly remind passengers that the waitstaff deserves to be tipped. I agree it’s a bit of a sham and annoying in anytime dining.