NCL Meet and Greet

coldweather

On 7/31/2019 at 7:47 AM, Capitan Obvious said:

Really? I see that you've only been on Cruise Critic since April 20th...barely over 3 months. You would not be able to post to a Roll Call without being a CC member, so am I to understand that in the 100 days that you've been on CC, that you have not only taken two cruises, but also had enough time to participate in roll calls that drew 200 and 350+ participants?

I don't see posts in your history that support this claim...😏

You need to also check post history under his last several user names. 😉  He has a handful! 😂

• 5 months later...

We are planning a meet and greet for a 200+ crowd and are concerned about it getting too large. At the time we started planning, we invited FB and CC cruisers. One group tried to tell us that M&G’s are more or less “open house.” We have been given a large restaurant so room is not the concern but rather if the crowd is too large, we lose the idea behind “meeting” fellow passengers. Is it permissible to close down additional signups? We are three weeks from sailing.

These are getting out of control. Cruise Critic Meet and Greets are meant to be that - CRUISE CRITIC Meet and Greets. It seems the last 3 or so I've been to have been full of people simply on social media, who aren't even cruise reviewers or enthusiasts. I have referred other solo PAX once on board to the group, but even then, I still insisted they sign up via contacting the Cruise Critic board or organizer. I have complained multiple times about these M&Gs being labelled as Cruise Critic M&Gs when they're really not.

Also, too many organizers "hog" this responsibility. It should be a concensus decision on the roll call board among the first people to sign up, who's the lead the M&G. One of my cruises currently has an organizer who is doing something like...5 M&Gs. That is ridiculous. Let other people enjoy the spotlight a bit and add their own "flavour" to the M&Gs. Totally inappropriate and actually kind of selfish. I appreciate the work people put into it, but its also fun for people to organize these and too many organizers keep them all to themselves. I have started to encounter M&G organizers who really do their organization in a "rote" manner and add no fun or personality into the M&G whatsoever, and I never see them again all cruise. Sorry - while I appreciate the efforts, it is no fun for anyone if you're just organizing it like an automaton.

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

Also, too many organizers "hog" this responsibility.

These folks are just interested in the perks that are given to the organizers.  Maybe NCL needs to stop with the perks and I'd bet these "hog" will disappear quicker than you can say NCL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lprose said:

We are planning a meet and greet for a 200+ crowd and are concerned about it getting too large. At the time we started planning, we invited FB and CC cruisers. One group tried to tell us that M&G’s are more or less “open house.” We have been given a large restaurant so room is not the concern but rather if the crowd is too large, we lose the idea behind “meeting” fellow passengers. Is it permissible to close down additional signups? We are three weeks from sailing.

Maybe see if you can have one meet and greet for those from Cruise Critic and another for those from FB.

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I thought the organizers don’t get perks. What do they get. 

Check in with suites, can eat in the suite restaurant, goodies, etc.  Some will say they don't get anything, but unlike a group who each one said there weren't any perks, but when they did a group trip in their review they said they made X the organizer, so she could check in with them and eat in the suite restaurant, since she was the only one in a non-suite cabin.

49 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Outrage, yes, but now you know what some hog the organizer position and won't let others do it.

There was one cruise and the original organizer started the meet and greet, creating spreadsheets, etc. and then another poster posted months later, called NCL and said he was the organizer and tried to steal the organizer job away from the original poster.  Thankfully, Cruise Critic got involved and it went back to the lady that started the meet and greet.  Some folks will do anything.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Check in with suites, can eat in the suite restaurant, goodies, etc.  Some will say they don't get anything, but unlike a group who each one said there weren't any perks, but when they did a group trip in their review they said they made X the organizer, so she could check in with them and eat in the suite restaurant, since she was the only one in a non-suite cabin.

It is my understanding that while this happens sometimes, it’s not a given. It depends upon the HD. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Is there a way to have the ship leave a note reminder to the cabin of those who had expressed interest about the M&G (like how the newsletter or CruiseNext stuff gets delivered)?

On a few that I have been involved in, the organizer will leave invitations out side your door as a reminder if requested.  You would have to provide your cabin number to them.

And like a PP mentioned, any perks that are given are based on the HD.  I have organized a couple and did not get any preferential treatment.

• Like 3

Thanks I have never attended one and ended up facilitating one coming up so this is helpful, I guess I'll see if I can print something up and leave them myself if I can arrange. We aren't doing anything formal and ours is a small group (about 45 probably). It wouldn't have even occurred to me that anyone would get special treatment, and I certainly wouldn't think they should do so for a small informal gathering like we are doing - heck, I think it is grand they are supporting it as much as they are.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, coldweather said:

What does NCL provide at a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet?

Last year I was on Royal Caribbean and they provide snacks but also had door prize drawings for some good prizes.

I think some of the officers stopped by but the prizes were the draw.

thanks.

We have found the the cruise critic meet and greets on NCL always draw a significantly smaller number than on Celebrity.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, NLH Arizona said:

It has happened on every ship I've been on.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, NLH Arizona said:

It has happened on every ship I've been on.

You must have been the coordinator for the meet and greet on every ship you’ve been on; otherwise, how would you know

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, purpleally said:

You must have been the coordinator for the meet and greet on every ship you’ve been on; otherwise, how would you know

I've never been an organizer and since I cruise in a suite, I would want someone who is not in a suite get the perks.

Because they tell you cabin and they are not in a suite, but come to suite restaurant, etc. or in conversations they have told us.  

Edited by NLH Arizona

9 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I've never been an organizer and since I cruise in a suite, I would want someone who is not in a suite get the perks.

Because they tell you cabin and they are not in a suite, but come to suite restaurant, etc. or in conversations they have told us.  

I have organized several M&G, most recent one was Sept2019. It does depend on HD of ship. The most I have ever received was bottle of wine or strawberries delivered to cabin. Did it twice on the Pearl , enjoyed it but received nothing extra.

Once, when in a Suite, had a bottle of wine delivered to room. This last one, Bliss(Alaska) they did a great job for everyone. We all got special treats delivered to cabins. Everyone thanked me but, it was special events coordinator who did it. Cabin numbers given at sign up for meet and greet. I gave her a big “thank you” gift at end of cruise. Received nice emails after from my group.  We had many first time cruisers, left a great impression. No recap from HD.
Ton of work, if done well. Do it only if you are committed to being a good leader for group and able to answer questions about NCL procedures to help new cruisers.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, pghflyer said:

Thanks I have never attended one and ended up facilitating one coming up so this is helpful, I guess I'll see if I can print something up and leave them myself if I can arrange. We aren't doing anything formal and ours is a small group (about 45 probably). It wouldn't have even occurred to me that anyone would get special treatment, and I certainly wouldn't think they should do so for a small informal gathering like we are doing - heck, I think it is grand they are supporting it as much as they are.

That is a ton of work, andThey do not encourage this on the ships. I was going to leave message on cabin phones night before but, Many did not want to divulge cabin numbers. I went with adding reminder when answering their emails and posting here right before the cruise worked best. Meet and Greet usually held first full day, so many still remember the reminders.  Good luck, you will do well. Remember, your special events coordinator is your best friend on the ship. 

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Ours will be second day because we don't leave until 7PM, but if it is frowned upon, I will definitely hold off on printing, lugging across 2-continents,  and trying to find 30 cabins. Makes life easier. Thanks for sharing.

Delivering reminder flyers yourself outside rooms is not frowned upon by NCL.  What they discourage is having the crew deliver them for you.  I have heard that on the mega ships they tell you there is a fee per room delivery.

With such a small group,  it is best to deliver or email reminders.  Turn out can be low otherwise.  

Enjoy and have a great cruise.

Edited by herdingdogmom

14 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

Delivering reminder flyers yourself outside rooms is not frowned upon by NCL.  What they discourage is having the crew deliver them for you.  I have heard that on the mega ships they tell you there is a fee per room delivery.

With such a small group,  it is best to deliver or email reminders.  Turn out can be low otherwise.  

Enjoy and have a great cruise.

By delivering the flyers the host will have a better good idea of arranging a Cabin Crawl if that option is entertained !

Take care in delivering the flyers to the CORRECT cabin avoiding uninvited - invited guests.

Using the phone for a verbal contact or message is simple - just pick-up the phone and dial the cabin number.

If there is a location change in the M & G - have a volunteer at the old location to redirect to the new one.

I've offered to organise the CC M&G for my upcoming cruise for our very very quiet roll call. I'm currently hoping we get enough people to sign up to make it actually happen. I'm not doing it for any other reason other than I'm travelling solo and I like to take any opportunity I can get to meet with others... I wasn't even aware that some organisers get perks for doing it... kinda makes sense of a few things I've seen occur on certain roll calls though... quite sad that some people behave this way. 

With regard to the question of what NCL provides... my last M&G was on the Encore and several officers attended and were introduced to the group... they also mingled and chatted to us. We had appetisers and mini beers provided too. 🙂 

• Like 2

Eventually NCL will receive enough complaints about it and they will determine that it is just not worth it and cancel the entire thing.

And this will be why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2