LIVE BLOG! From the EQUINOX - AUG 25th Sailing - CHICAGOPAUL

chicagopaul

Last night we started at the Martini bar per the usual. The bartenders are great. Boon is there who we know from previous cruises and remembers our drink.

We ate in Murano at 8:30 and Nenad saved a perfect table for us. Murano was packed! The busiest I’ve ever seen but the wait staff was really on point. It took them a few minutes to get started but they executed perfectly and the food was outstanding.

We started with a cheese plate

6a6b2e0b28d3f44857620fa093c05eb1.jpg

I then had the salmon and crab parfait

2598f90a506b1e0734daf4e18d2dd963.jpg

Then for dinner I had the Dover Sole

f7c9872da9077c652b472abd51de77df.jpg

Then for dessert we had the crepe.

feb2adf3862a310faa3c935e26cc385d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One item to note is that Caymus is now available by the glass for $25. So only $10 extra (plus grat). We will definitely be ordering a great deal of it. The Napa Chardonnay I had in Murano by the glass was also excellent. Here is a photo of the wine list by the glass.

3a286e18e24f15cabfa16c239a233239.jpg

After dinner we went up to the Sunset bar, had a cigar and a few after dinner drinks. It was beautiful night with a full moon. We met another cruise critic member and really enjoyed the conversation.

625b2783525d1e92942685e28fb07736.jpg

fb08f1bb542aca6e092d67bdc90272bf.jpg

Today the weather in Key West is beautiful. It was going to rain according to the weather report but it turned out great. We plan to get off in about 20/30 minutes and grab lunch and a drink.

f9b95166c9ae1a70ca9a54781f7f1964.jpg

fb021007ba1b15845249c6a694fdbed6.jpg

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and it is well worth the $450 a year and less than the AmEx Platinum which I think is up to $550. You get $300 annual travel credit; Global Entry or TSA Pre reimbursement (I believe GE is $100 and good for 5 years); and 3x points for travel and dining. With just the travel credit it brings the cost of the card down to $150 so considering you would pay around $95 a year for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, and many others, the card would only cost an extra $55 per year. Add to that the Reserve's trip cancellation benefit which is $10,000 per person up to $20,000 per trip but not sure what the yearly cap might be. It doesn't cover pre-existing conditions but only has a 60 day look back period.

As a word of caution if you have a trip cancellation claim, I can relate my recent experience with Chase which was frustrating but was ultimately paid. We had to cancel a cruise in May due to health issues I was having. This was not a pre-existing condition so I was covered. The claim was handled by Chase Benefits and Allianz Insurance was also involved but never could get a straight answer as to what part they had although they did issue the check even though Chubb is the Underwriter. My claim was not denied but it took three months of constant phone calls and over 30 pages of documentation to settle. The claim was slightly over $10,000 and they kept telling me because it was over that amount it required further reviews by management. What was also frustrating is they initially paid a small amount for reinstating points for airfare and never let me know they needed further documentation even after I sent them at that point over 20 pages. I really had to persist to even find out what they wanted/needed. Finally, after three months of blowing me off I threatened to file a complaint with the CA Superintendent of Insurance since there are regulations they must adhere to. That threat got me and my claim to the right person and within one hour I got a call back and an e-mail confirmation that my claim was being paid. They even sent the check next day delivery. My only consolation through all of this was the fact that we didn't have to buy travel insurance which would have cost around $1,000 so the Chase Reserve card has more than paid for itself at least for a few more years.

Carole

Carole, thank you for this awesome information and a review of your claim. I guess I could try and Google the information, but I wonder if your claim experience is the norm? That sounds excruciating. My son worked briefly for a life insurance company and they purposely made it difficult in many situations for people to receive their money. Hence why he left.

Looking forward to your blog.

Even though we've been on many Celebrity cruises we always manage to pick up a new bit of information from you. Your writing style and photos are wonderful.

Have a great cruise!

Last night we started at the Martini bar per the usual. The bartenders are great. Boon is there who we know from previous cruises and remembers our drink.

We ate in Murano at 8:30 and Nenad saved a perfect table for us. Murano was packed! The busiest I’ve ever seen but the wait staff was really on point. It took them a few minutes to get started but they executed perfectly and the food was outstanding.

We started with a cheese plate

I then had the salmon and crab parfait

Agree with Ma Bell, I've taken a few cruises myself and I always learn some new things by reading your blogs Informative, funny and detailed. Thanks as always!

The weather is very warm and humid today. Exactly what I would expect for being down here in August.

We had a couple drinks this morning with Taz at Sunset bar and then got off to walk around town and grab lunch.

I know Key West is just that, a Florida key but I’ve always really enjoyed it. There is something quirky about not only the island itself but definitely the people.

We walked down Duval and stopped at Pinchers for lunch. We’ve been here before and it’s become a bit of a tradition. We had Mahi Mahi bites to start with a cucumber ranch dipping sauce. Then we both had the grouper tacos. We of course also had a couple drinks. We both opted for vodka lemonades.

627083feec9e6029215d7147a1e57abe.jpg

1b3be23aea0e363aa406408b5be993e9.jpg

After lunch we just walked back to the ship but we did stop to buy a couple cigars to have this evening.

2754daa7a33c5441d652df0883024f9c.jpg

0f3564f7ec81fe3492572167ff918f18.jpg

1c9bccc38302483c1093ff06513e1ae1.jpg

Getting off and back on the ship today was simple without any issues. Celebrity had a small tent set up with ice towels and 4 different types of water with fruit. Definitely welcome on a day like today.

Thank you so much for spending your time with all of us - sailed on Equinox back to back last year in suites and will sail in September unfortunately no suites but C2 so really appreciated your coverage on what is included

Another friend is traveling and she has walking difficulties so spends more time in her cabin - I thought that Celebrity still offers first run movies (not pay per view) in the cabins - have you seen that listed?

So appreciate your thoroughness - Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you so much for spending your time with all of us - sailed on Equinox back to back last year in suites and will sail in September unfortunately no suites but C2 so really appreciated your coverage on what is included

Another friend is traveling and she has walking difficulties so spends more time in her cabin - I thought that Celebrity still offers first run movies (not pay per view) in the cabins - have you seen that listed?

So appreciate your thoroughness - Have a wonderful cruise!

My pleasure! Here are the free movies currently on the Equinox.

4e608cb7dedf701e870939bb9728b7c9.jpg

b3fea768c57b786009ad3042d0529d9f.jpg

Hi Paul

I posted yesterday re F&B director Valdo, in case you missed it could you please try and find out when he leaves Equinox as we board 26th Oct for 21 nights.

Many thanks

I definitely will! Will likely see him at the officers party tomorrow night and I’ll ask.

Carole, thank you for this awesome information and a review of your claim. I guess I could try and Google the information, but I wonder if your claim experience is the norm? That sounds excruciating. My son worked briefly for a life insurance company and they purposely made it difficult in many situations for people to receive their money. Hence why he left.

Mike, glad you found it helpful and wish I had some of this info beforehand so I knew what to expect. According to Chase, the delay in settling the claim was because it was over $10,000, and only by $100, hence the further review requirement. Initially, they paid me $350 to reinstate airline points and their e-mail said my claim was paid and that was after I sent them many pages claiming the cruise fare and hotel costs that were past the refundable time frame. They just ignored the remainder of the claim and left it at that never bothering to tell me what else they required. It really was a fight to the finish and if I hadn't persisted I never would have gotten paid.

Since I now have a pre-existing condition we can no longer rely on the Chase Reserve card benefit and have to purchase the insurance. I've read a lot reviews for different companies and all of them have many complaints. Some of the issues were because people didn't read the fine print especially with regard to pre-exisitng. I ended up purchasing through USAA with Travel Insured who I used before I had the Chase card but never had a claim. A friend of mine used them and had no issues with her claim although it was not large.

Carole

Hi Linda - Yes, that card should have some good protection. I did a very quick google search (you made me curious so I had to find out) and the points guy had a nice review stating the benefits. You should look it up. Looks like coverage for cancellation for a covered reason is up to $5k per traveler. There is also trip delay and lost baggage protection. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Paul! I should definitely go dig up the paperwork re: benefits so thanks for doing some initial research for me. And sorry for diverting the attention away from your awesome live posts. Didn't mean to do that! Hope you had a great day in Key West - I love it there. Not as much as Chicago in the summer but pretty close. I still miss my 21st corner studio apartment that I had after college graduation on the Gold Coast with the awesome view out of my wrap-around windows all the way to Buckingham Fountain. You are lucky to live in such an awesome city!

Linda

Paul, can you check and see if a bartender named Rickie is on board. We have been lucky to have him on 3 of our last 4 Celebrity cruises. He is usually @ the Sunset bar, or the Pool bar. If he is on can you see if he will be on late October. We board on Oct 26th,,,

Thks for taking the time, enjoy your blog.

Brian & Lisa

Paul,

Another grateful reader of your most entertaining blog.

We also enjoy Key West. Like most, we have done the requisite first time tourist things:

Hemingway House,

Sloppy Joe's

Southernmost Point

Sunset at Mallory Square

Key West Trolley

We now do as you do, Late breakfast on board, walk up and down Duval with a late lunch at either Pincher's or the Schooner Wharf.

Thanks again for bringing us along.

I’m so excited to read this! We where on the ship in July and loved it!!! IF you happen to go to the art gallery can you tell all the guys hi from Darlean & Roger! We bought a Peter Max statue in July (amongst a lot of other art work!) we loved the South Africa team working it!