Cruise Critic Community
Geoffa30

Pacific Princess Rescues Fisherman

Yes we did rescue the 3 men yesterday evening. Captain announced around 6:30 that they had seen a flare go off and that we were going to go towards them.

At first they started to launch a tender out, but the seas were choppy and the Capt. said we would wait for the Coast Guard helicopter to get there, but that would be another hour. They finally were able to get the men on the ship. It wasn't for quite a while later that we learned there were 5 men on the fishing vessel. The Coast Guard cleared us to leave the area around 9:10 and we headed on to Dover.

We could see the helicopters out searching the waters for the other 2 men. It was very sad when we learned about the 2 men that were missing.

This was something to witness that I will say I'll never forget.

The two missing men are found and sadly they are drowned. The costguard found their bodies near the sunken vessel.

Sad news.

I guess they must not have been able to get into the life raft with their collegues but you would think they would have had life jackets.

I wonder if smaller vessels don't bother with the regular safety drills we have to go through and sadly this has cost them their lives:(

These boats can go down very fast depending where you are in the vessel you wouldn t have a chance. If it was a collision it could fill with water very fast.