Cruise Critic Community
excitedofharpenden

Northern Lights over Millennium

A friend of mine is working on Millennium in Alaska at the moment and he posted some photos of the Northern Lights over the ship last night. Amazing!

Phil

10880cf44945036b8d8ec3a7fa50242f.jpg8518e981d05701c4c5db5d56e4e82739.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sail Millie Friday, I hope I get this lucky!!! I will be top deck waiting with hot cocoa in hand!!! (yn)

Patty

There's a thread on the Alaska Ports of Call board that's been talking about how active the lights have been for the last 3 or 4 weeks. It also has a link to the U. of Alaska's website that tracks activity:

http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu/

We're hoping it will still be active when we're there in mid-September. We saw a faint aurora in Iceland 2 years ago, but nothing spectacular.

Due to the clouds and rain along the coast in Alaska, the odds of seeing AB are usually not very good. Then you need darkness as well. Who knows, you could get lucky. We had no such luck, even on a clear night.

Phil,

Thanks for posting the beautiful picture. :)

Stunning, thanks so much for posting.

Sincere best wishes for those of you cruising soon that you get to see a good show....

I’m onboard now! I guess I’ll be staying up as we head to Skagway tonight from Juneau. It’s been beautiful in Juneau today. Starting to get cloudy but maybe clear up as we head out later!

Because of the way rods and cones work in the eyes, it is much easier to “see” them by taking a photo with your phone and digital camera. Unless it is a very active event... here is the forecast... last night was a good night. https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

The website for the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is mentioned by Kartgv. The article on the website called "Traveler's Guide to the Aurora" is very helpful. And so far I am not aware that we have seen them in Fairbanks yet this late summer -- we have been cloudy and rainy since August 21st.

Thank you very much for the pictures. We have been to Alaska 3 times and have never seen the AB. It's kind of a bucket list thing for me, so at least I got to see pictures! Will have to go to Alaska again, I guess!

Great pics!

The sky was pretty active here in the Southern Hemisphere last night also. Was just a bit of a shame about the full moon.

Thank you very much for the pictures. We have been to Alaska 3 times and have never seen the AB. It's kind of a bucket list thing for me, so at least I got to see pictures! Will have to go to Alaska again, I guess!

I is usually not visible in summer months, only from autumn until spring. To see it at end of August is very early I believe.

Wow! Thanks for that. It's on my bucket list, too.

End of July, leaving Juneau, we all stayed up past midnight, freezing outside, waiting, waiting. The captain announced it was coming! All we saw was some light. No colour. Too bad. He was teased relentlessly after that!

Very nice. Let's see what tonight brings.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Now Solstice has had them!

Phil

9e57acc4db9047d961d6ae3534108d18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting. We too are hoping for AB, but next year around this time. :)

Any sense of port/area this was taken?

We are on Millie now, this picture was taken on the sail from Juneau to Icy Straight Point. Near midnight the captain made the announcement and stopped the ship for viewing. Spectacular! Seeing the Solstice against the backdrop of AB was surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ISO cruises for Northern Lights spotting.

I see Viking Ocean is doing this. And I think Celebrity may have a few years back. Am I correct?

Can't see anything for 2021 Jan/Feb/March on X website