Are we allowed to bring a case of pop onboard during a port of call?

Produce123

If you're grilling a hamburger, you still call it BBQ? Even though a hamburger doesn't have BBQ? What about a Zagnut bar, do you still call it a chocolate bar even though it has no chocolate? Curious...

Yes in Canada we BBQ hamburgers steaks pork chops etc Never heard of zagnut bars Nougat bars yes

Local colloquialisms are fun!

I grew up in Ohio but now live in Georgia. I still try to "stick to my roots" and call it "pop" but I've noticed myself slowly changing over to "soda" since moving to the Coca-Cola capital of the world.

Also, it's sneakers, not tennis shoes, unless they are specifically made for playing tennis.

And BBQ is anything done on the outdoor grill (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc).

And running the vacuum cleaner is called "sweeping". :)

My folks are from NH but we all live in NY. They raised me stating that soda is an ice cream soda and pop is your dad thus they call all pop tonic but I still call it pop, soda, or just the worst thing you can put in your body lol!! My mom still calls jeans dungarees and says that only old ladies have "purses", we have "pocketbooks". On the other hand, pizza is pronounced "pizzer" and she goes down into the "cella" to get her vegetables she canned from the garden. Tomayto tomahto, whatever!!

Well in Tennessee were Im from originally any soda pop is a "coke" lol!

In Louisiana I've heard Coke and cold drink. Cold drink bugs me more. It is way too vague.

My dad was from Louisiana, and my mom is from Iowa. I don't remember my family ever saying anything other than pop.

Typical conversation in the south:

"Would you like a Coke?"

"Sure."

"What kind?"

"Dr. Pepper or root beer if you have it."

Local colloquialisms are fun!

I grew up in Ohio but now live in Georgia. I still try to "stick to my roots" and call it "pop" but I've noticed myself slowly changing over to "soda" since moving to the Coca-Cola capital of the world.

Also, it's sneakers, not tennis shoes, unless they are specifically made for playing tennis.

And BBQ is anything done on the outdoor grill (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc).

And running the vacuum cleaner is called "sweeping". :)

That reference of BBQ must be a northern/midwestern reference. :) Living in GA pretty much my whole life, cooking hot dogs or hamburgers is "grilling". While cooking pork or ribs is called "smoking". BBQ is something we put on pork, ribs or chicken. (I also belong to a Backyard BBQ Team so this is something near and dear to my heart.)

This sums it up nicely -

Edited by DMKahlan
add a link for humor

In Belfast any meat cooked on a grill outside is "BBQ,d", sports shoes are "trainers" rest, washrooms are "loos" and the one that sets us in most trouble when abroad is. When asking for an ice cream cone in Northern Ireland we ask for a "poke" which means something completely different in a lot of other countries😀

I came from Michigan and we called it pop. When I moved to Fl, I asked a friend for a pop. She looked at me funny and ask why would I want pot. After when I explained, she told me never call it pop cause it's to close to pot. So asking the wrong person you might just get pot. So I conformed, been calling it soda ever since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

This has been fun, and no name-calling either. In Canada. we carry purses, never heard of a pocketbook

Pocketbook is funny. A word that my grandmother used long ago. I think it's an older term. Like Davenport (couch or sofa), Parlor (living room or sitting room).

"Would you like a Coke?"

"Sure."

"What kind?"

Same here in Arkansas ,,Do you want a Coke ? yes... What kind do you want? Coke ,Dr Pepper ,Pepsi ? ect

"Would you like a Coke?"

"Sure."

"What kind?"

My aunt would visit and ask me for a Coke. I'd bring her a Coke and she'd get mad. Would happen when we'd eat out, too. I would tell her she'd need to learn to speak Yankee. She'd get twice as mad (she was a die hard "the South was robbed" person [emoji849]).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Canadian here, living in Texas! I had a boss years ago who used to make fun of every Canadian term I used: pop, zed (instead of zee), pro-ject (instead of prah-ject)… I'd finally had enough and told him at least where I came from, BBQ was a means of cooking, not a food group! He was so insulted he never bugged me again about my colloquialisms!