Cruise Critic Community
Rainbowfalls

How often do you get a new birth certificate?

I know this may seem silly but the bcs i have are from 2012 and the raised seal on the one for my bf is a bit worn. Does anyone ever update their copy after a few years just in case??

next cruise: Carnival Liberty 12.9.18

The bc I have is from 1984, when I was born. If you are using them often enough that they get worn, you may want to consider investing in a passport. But I don’t believe a raised deal is a requirement for you to board with a bc on carnival. And I don’t think there’s any expectation that a bc will be brand new, as long as it’s intact and legible it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I know this may seem silly but the bcs i have are from 2012 and the raised seal on the one for my bf is a bit worn. Does anyone ever update their copy after a few years just in case??

I got a new one about 20 years ago.

Get a passport.

A raised seal isn't a requirement for a birth certificate. My birth certificate is from 1980.

Mine is the original from 1952. Torn and tattered, so worn that the seal is flat as the paper, never got a new one.

Keep in mind that if you are sailing on Carnival, they will accept a clear photocopy of your BC where there is (obviously) no raised seal so your certified copy of a BC with worn emboss is fine

never. I have 2 copies currently just in case but I don't need one routinely since I have a passport.

If you just go ahead and get a passport, that's good for 10 years, you wouldn't need your BC at all. We're on our 4th passport.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

After Superstorm Sandy I was forced to get a new one, the safe flooded. So when I did get all new documentation (BC, marriage cert., and church records) I ordered everything in triplicate. One of each is at home in easy reach, one in a safety deposit box, and one with a trusted relative.

I've only ever had the one. As long as it comes from the State, worn or not, it's fine. Not all States have the "raised seal" anymore....as long as it's from the "vital statistic" bureau, it's good.

I had the original from b irth, and prior to having my passport it was used often and getting 'worn out . Igot a new B C and am now on my third or fourth? passport. No need now to get more BC's.

I think I last got a new copy of my birth certificate when I go married, 22 years ago. But I’ve had passports for a lot longer than that.

Mine will be 71 years old next month. Never replaced it or needed to. On passport #4. Use it all the time.

when each of our kids were born they asked how many BC's we wanted .....

I got 5 "originals" each time .......

DW and I had already gone thru the BS of getting 'correct' BCs for our passport applications. Kids are adults now .. each has 2 original BC in their possession, and I have 3 in reserve! And they have passports . . . .

I last got one 64 years ago. Why would you get new ones? If you are going to be replacing BCs, then get a passport.