How often do you get a new birth certificate?

I last got one 64 years ago. Why would you get new ones? If you are going to be replacing BCs, then get a passport.

Because it was required to get the passport:rolleyes:

We had to replace my husband's BC for his passport. On his original from 1972 there was some field missing that they needed for our passports issued in 2012. I think it was a 9/11 change requiring more information. Mine (1973) had already been updated for some reason several years before by my dad.

I last got one 64 years ago. Why would you get new ones? If you are going to be replacing BCs, then get a passport.

Because it was required to get the passport:rolleyes:

We had to replace my husband's BC for his passport. On his original from 1972 there was some field missing that they needed for our passports issued in 2012. I think it was a 9/11 change requiring more information. Mine (1973) had already been updated for some reason several years before by my dad.

Not necessarily an obvious answer. I got my first passport when I was 16. My original birth certificate was still fairly fresh, relatively speaking.

I do have a birth certificate but never used it for cruising. I did use it for crossing the US/Canada border by vehicle before I had a passport. I only use a passport now. Much easier to store and keep track of.

Passports are replaced much more easily as well.

Maybe for some but for me the process to get a new birth certificate was much easier (and less expensive) than renewing a passport or replacing a missing one.