Cruise Critic Community
RoyalFan2011

Buying Spices and Chocolate

We have a stop in Grenada the week of Thanksgiving. Are people able to buy the local spices and chocolate and bring them back on the ship? I thought those might be some great Christmas presents. I have seen posts about buying rum, but can’t find information on buying spices and chocolate. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely! You can buy both of those things. If you buy a spice necklace ( great gifts) be sure to bring large ziplock bags to seal them in. They are very fragrant!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Absolutely! You can buy both of those things. If you buy a spice necklace ( great gifts) be sure to bring large ziplock bags to seal them in. They are very fragrant!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

But don't leave them in the plastic too long they will mold. Put them into paper bags as soon as you can. A lot of the ladies will give you paper when you buy them, as opposed to the plastic.

Leave the little marketplace outside the terminal and walk towards town (through the tunnel) for better prices.

Agree with the previous poster - don't use plastic bags as they will go mouldy which would be a shame.

Things to buy in Grenada that are unique are our spices, our chocolate and some of our hot sauces :-) We have a fabulous chocolate museum in town that serves coffee and all things chocolate - very yummy:*

Agree with the previous poster - don't use plastic bags as they will go mouldy which would be a shame.

Things to buy in Grenada that are unique are our spices, our chocolate and some of our hot sauces :-) We have a fabulous chocolate museum in town that serves coffee and all things chocolate - very yummy:*

How far is the walk from where ship docks? Would like to visit the museum. And of course get some chocolate.;) . Directions??

5 minutes stroll I would say. Come out of cruise ship terminal and turn right, walk through the Sendall Tunnel (if has traffic so hug the right hand side). When you come out follow the road but keep left going past the museum. Take a left and just up on the left is the Chocolate Museum. Go in, Say hello, grab a chair, put feet up and relax with all things chocolatey!! :cool:

On 9/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, IslandStar said:

5 minutes stroll I would say. Come out of cruise ship terminal and turn right, walk through the Sendall Tunnel (if has traffic so hug the right hand side). When you come out follow the road but keep left going past the museum. Take a left and just up on the left is the Chocolate Museum. Go in, Say hello, grab a chair, put feet up and relax with all things chocolatey!! 🆒

Hi IslandStar,

If we don't want to deal with walking thru the tunnel with traffic, could we get a cab, do you think?

Thanks

Liz

On 8/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

But don't leave them in the plastic too long they will mold. Put them into paper bags as soon as you can. A lot of the ladies will give you paper when you buy them, as opposed to the plastic.

Leave the little marketplace outside the terminal and walk towards town (through the tunnel) for better prices.

Absoluely!  Get your spice necklaces into paper bags ASAP!  

10 hours ago, Ellizabeth said:

Hi IslandStar,

If we don't want to deal with walking thru the tunnel with traffic, could we get a cab, do you think?

Thanks

Liz

you could but definitely not worth it as will take you longer in traffic in our one way system to bring you to the museum. The tunnel is only 350ft long - you'll be fine🙂

1 hour ago, IslandStar said:

you could but definitely not worth it as will take you longer in traffic in our one way system to bring you to the museum. The tunnel is only 350ft long - you'll be fine🙂

Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Ellizabeth said:

Thank you.

You are most welcome. I actually thought about a nice little walking tour. through the tunnel and right for a view of our Carenage. Then back up road to the choc museum and well earned coffee 🙂 afterwards walk up hill 50 feet and on your right is Lilo's Batik shop (lovely stuff in there), another 50 feet up and on your right is Maria's glass jewellery store and coffee house. Then its an easy hill to the fort for a wander about and some great views and then back down the stairs to your ship

Sorry to hijack this thread, but IslandStar, it seems you live in Grenada? We are coming for our first time in January 2020. Any other must do’s there? The Chocolate factory and coffee sound perfect to me.... and I definitely want to pick up some nutmegs and a spice necklace. We like snorkeling, adventure, tours, walking, whatever....

I would suggest that you get Tom’s Port Guide. It can be downloaded from the internet. It’s a great guide on how to get around the port. He has several ports that he offers the guide and the best part is it’s free.

We got lots of spices and chocolate on our visit to Grenada in December.