Carnival Horizon hits pier in New York upon arrival

jetskier

This is the image on facebook. Looks like the nose of the bow hit the pier, possible big dent in that area

Capture.png

This is a known issue with the Manhattan terminal and long bigger ships, always a close call with making that tight 90 degree turn into the terminal. They really should do something to make the navigation easier for this ships such or maybe they should use the Brooklyn terminal more often which is much easier for ships to pull into and that pier can accommodate these longer much better

I hope everyone is ok. Could propulsion problems like they had a few weeks cause this to happen? I dont know anything mechanical, that is why I am wondering.

They are various things that can cause this too happen:

1) To pull into the pier requires the ship to make a sharp 90 degree right turn, to successful make this turn the ship has to make a wide turn similar to how 18 wheel trucks make turns. if the captain did not setup the ship for this turn correctly, this can happen

2) the current in the rivers can cause issues with navigation and turning

3) there is a possibility that a azipod propulsion could be an issue with the ship not turning that good.

NYC is my homeport and i always sail out of this terminal. I seen more then a dozen close calls with ships trying to pull into this terminal.

They are various things that can cause this too happen:

1) To pull into the pier requires the ship to make a sharp 90 degree right turn, to successful make this turn the ship has to make a wide turn similar to how 18 wheel trucks make turns. if the captain did not setup the ship for this turn correctly, this can happen

2) the current in the rivers can cause issues with navigation and turning

3) there is a possibility that a azipod propulsion could be an issue with the ship not turning that good.

NYC is my homeport and i always sail out of this terminal. I seen more then a dozen close calls with ships trying to pull into this terminal.

Thank You so much for explaining possibilities so well. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Correct me if i am wrong but doesnt the captain relinquish control of the ship to the harbor pilot who brings the ship in and docks it

that is correct. there is a pilot on board to help dock the ship. The pilot does not control mother nature. If mother nature causes strong winds or strong currents, there is not that much you can do expect for brace for impact if any.

Correct me if i am wrong but doesnt the captain relinquish control of the ship to the harbor pilot who brings the ship in and docks it

The captain is always in charge of the ship and can take over at any time from the pilot if the captains feels it is necessary.

There is a popular appliance store in my town that offers a nice discount for appliances with scratches and dents. They work fine and you can't even see them sometimes because they are on the side or back of the appliance. Is Carnival going to give discounts for a ship that still has the damage from being in a wreck?

The captain is always in charge of the ship and can take over at any time from the pilot if the captains feels it is necessary.

Nope. The pilot is merely a consultant. The Captain does not give up physical control and is not required to except for one place, which is the Panama Canal. The pilot is onboard to give advice and info that may not be on the latest charts due to storms, accidents, etc that might have debris in place that it hadn't been or shifts in sand, etc. Every bridge tour I have ever taken (many) , the Captain has answered that question and they all say the same thing. They are still completely in charge of the ship and the pilot does not drive the ship, except in the Panama Canal.

Hope and Pray!

With the Azipod problems to replace one or the two you have to lift the ship.

Staten Island as well Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey has this and would be able to lift the ship to replace/repair the NEW Azipods etc.. ( I wonder what the bloody guarantee covers now..?)

The Muck and Mire in the Passenger Cruise Ship Terminal is a well known hazard. Hello Muck. Hello Mire! NYC, NY comeon get with it and maintain your Piers.. we sure pay one of the highest Rates worldwide to use them. Where is that Media Happy Mayor now? Not on the Noon News on any TV/Cable Network !

With the Carnival Horizon , the largest Passenger volume ship coming in I hope and pray all souls are well.

PS:

Carnival and NYC, NY do we All get a lowered fare and/or OBC now for damaged goods?

Edited by AAAAmerican

This is coming into the pier on the Carnival Splendor - a smaller ship

p1799662192-3.jpg

Those tugs were getting a work out against the currents

p1779839179-3.jpg

I didn't think we'd make it. I've seen them dock ships here on a lot of cruises. A lot of times the tugs just hang out in case there's a problem. This time they were really working. It's never easy, but always interesting! The seagulls were loving all the fish the tugs were churning up.

This is the image on facebook. Looks like the nose of the bow hit the pier, possible big dent in that area

Capture.png

This is a known issue with the Manhattan terminal and long bigger ships, always a close call with making that tight 90 degree turn into the terminal. They really should do something to make the navigation easier for this ships such or maybe they should use the Brooklyn terminal more often which is much easier for ships to pull into and that pier can accommodate these longer much better

Ya that pier is super tight...never meant for ships of that size but in dowtown they arent going to build a new one

Is Horizon the largest cruise ship using this port?

No. The largest for this port is the Norwegian ships like the Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Escape

Cunard Queens usually use Brooklyn don’t they?

Yes. Cunard and Princess uses the Brooklyn Terminal.

I just heard about this accident.

Many years ago we were on the Island Princess waiting in a special lounge at the back of the ship for disembarkation when an RCI ship hit the end of our dock -- made too sharp a turn. Smashed the dock up pretty badly. Glad we were on a small ship or we would have been smashed as well.