Cruise Critic Community
lrskier

Sun on Westbound Transatlantic from UK to Caribbean.

Which side of ship receives the Sun in the AFternoon on a ta in the fall from UK to Carib?

The southside since the route is north of the equator. Port side is left (south) looking forward. (I hope I got it right.)

The southside since the route is north of the equator. Port side is left (south) looking forward. (I hope I got it right.)
Yup, you got it correct.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Indy transatlantic last OCT. Portside gets all the sun from sun up to sundown. Starboard gets nothing. From Southampton to Fll. the weather was shorts and t shirts from day 2 - 15.

Question from a newbie...currently booked in a starboard balcony cabin for an April T/A eastbound, I just assumed the sunny side would be better, is that true? Considering bidding on a upgrade to a larger cabin, but afraid we'd be assigned to the shady side and regret it. Thank you for any opinions.

The sunny side is best but it can get quite hot, even in the morning for breakfast on the balcony.  It can be quite cool on the shady side.

The story goes that the more well-to-do passengers on ships travelling between England and India used to have POSH written against their bookings, standing for 'Port Out, Starboard Home' (indicating the more desirable cabins, on the shady side of the ship).

So I guess if you want sunnier and potentially hotter cabins you would want Port (southern facing) when sailing Westbound