Question for Law Enforcement or LEO wives

DCLCrazy

For those of you who have traveled to Cuba, did you or your mate have to declare that you were a cop on the visa? Were you questioned by Cuban authorities at all? It makes me nervous to declare my husband’s profession in a communist country. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just had this issue in Russia, for some reason they asked my son what he did for a living and when he told them police officer they grilled him and wanted police id, they also grilled him getting back on to the point he decided he wasn't getting off ship in Russia second day.

We met a group of guys who worked for government and needed permission because of their security clearances to get off in Russia, they were advised if immigration asks these questions DO NOT LIE, if they get too pushy ask for American embassy or go back to the ship. Which would not have worked for my son as our embassy in St Petersburg is closed.

Can not say how Cuba would be but you have a valid concern.

We just cruised to Cuba in June and loved it!! My husband is a Police Officer (for 32 years now) and I was an officer and no one asked any questions about his profession or anything like that. Our daughter in law and her family are from Cuba, they did though advise us not to bring his badge/ID or freely let them know we are in law enforcement but of course would not lie either if questioned. I do not know why they would ask though.

We just cruised to Cuba in June and loved it!! My husband is a Police Officer (for 32 years now) and I was an officer and no one asked any questions about his profession or anything like that. Our daughter in law and her family are from Cuba, they did though advise us not to bring his badge/ID or freely let them know we are in law enforcement but of course would not lie either if questioned. I do not know why they would ask though.

It may be random, my son's issue was in Russia, he may just have "the look" lol in any case o/p posted a valid concern/question and the knuckleheads could not resist chiming in, takes all kinds

I have not read all of the replies. My travel buddy on my last cruise (June 2018 to Cuba on NCL) is a county detective. He is assigned to an FBI task force. He had to complete a travel form from the Bureau. We put the basics of our trip. It was simple and NOT an issue. Cuba didn't get a copy lol. They don't know the occupations of individual cruisers.

Have fun and DON'T worry!

I've never been, and have no desire to go. If I were going I would simply list my occupation as local government employee. One of the nicer part's about being retired is that's pretty much all I have to say.

As a former LEO, I've listed on many documents that my occupation was municipal employee. I doubt there would be an issue if he did list his occupation as an LEO, but I can certainly appreciate the concern.

The main issue anyone should have with this question is that it’s a presumption that men who are employed as LEOs, not women - surely it should be “you or your partners” not “wives”. Unless I stumbled in to the 1950s ;)

Although to the point of the question: as the pp said it would be a question directed to their employer if their profession was relevant. FWIW people in the UK have been going to Cuba for years, regardless of their professional position in society :)

You should go back and read the original post. It says if you or our partner are a LEO. I was very specific to not post gender. Don’t be so addicted to outrage. It makes life easier. I’ve been a LEO Wife for 14 years and I am well aware that there are women in LE.

Part me? Try holding up an anti communist/anti Castro sign at the cruise pier and let's see what will happen to you. There is no free press and opposition party in Cuba for a very good reason. Sorry OP, I don't have the answer but your concern is definitely legit and valid.

Thank you, and I totally agree. We are going back and forth on whether or not we should go simply bc they are still a communist government who are oppressing their people.

You should go back and read the original post. It says if you or our partner are a LEO. I was very specific to not post gender. Don’t be so addicted to outrage. It makes life easier. I’ve been a LEO Wife for 14 years and I am well aware that there are women in LE.

Uhh, you might want to check the title of your post.:)

OP, if your husband is a local or state LEO, I would say there wouldn't be much of a problem, but it might be a good idea for him to check with his organization. They might know of any concerns, or have some of their own. . Federal officers can have much more of a problem. My DD and SIL are Federal, and there are some countries they are warned against by their own agency, and other countries that won't allow them in! The State Department website might have some more information, too.

I haven't been to Cuba yet, but I understand any visit will be carefully controlled, so your husband's profession shouldn't be an issue. I think the Cuban government is much more interested in getting American tourist dollars!

Good luck! And by the way, thank him ( and you too) for his service.

Thank you for your caring and rational response. I am definitely not trying to call attention to myself, as others on the board are claiming I am doing. I’m sure you know that LEOs do the exact opposite and try to minimize their presence in off duty situations. But if you’ve never walked a mile in a LEO FAMILY’s shoes, I guess they wouldn’t know that, so I am trying to show grace to all the people on the board who are saying I’m making too big a deal out of this. Judging by the other posts from government agencies, I can see I was right to ask and they can all go kick rocks. ;)

Just had this issue in Russia, for some reason they asked my son what he did for a living and when he told them police officer they grilled him and wanted police id, they also grilled him getting back on to the point he decided he wasn't getting off ship in Russia second day.

We met a group of guys who worked for government and needed permission because of their security clearances to get off in Russia, they were advised if immigration asks these questions DO NOT LIE, if they get too pushy ask for American embassy or go back to the ship. Which would not have worked for my son as our embassy in St Petersburg is closed.

Can not say how Cuba would be but you have a valid concern.

Yes! I have heard about Russia and LEO which is why I was concerned about Cuba being another communist country. Thank you for confirming that my question was valid.

As a former LEO, I've listed on many documents that my occupation was municipal employee. I doubt there would be an issue if he did list his occupation as an LEO, but I can certainly appreciate the concern.

Thank you for your rational comment. I will keep that in mind! :)

No I stand by title. Nobody in the agency ever says “LEO Husband”. :rolleyes: Again, you’re nitpicking just to be outraged about something small.

I'm not outraged at all, it's a perfectly understandable projection of your exact situation. Just pointing out that it wasn't as gender neutral as you claim.

I don't have an answer and have never been to Cuba....but I am a LEO wife so I appreciate the heads up if we ever go. Please thank your husband for his service for me and ignore the rude comments.

You are awesome! We fight as one! :cool:

This is a good question.

Many government agencies don't want their employees to admit they work for the US government if they travel in nations hostile to the USA. You could be more subject to kidnappings. While Cuba is opening up, its none of their business what anyone does as a job. The issue is here in the United States. As someone already pointed out state and local law enforcement officers are a bit different in this area than the Feds. The US Department of Justice forbid its employees to travel to Cuba not long ago. If you did travel to Cuba and it was found out during your background investigation, it could really complicate things. First ask your agency if you are allowed to go to Cuba. If you are then its not a problem. However some Feds with top secret background investigations may not be allowed to go especially if they work in intelligence.

Long story short..... check with your agency but I don't see the reason to state your profession to Cuban officials. Its not really a big deal but cops usually don't wear their status on their sleeve while off duty. Cops make up various phony professions when asked even in the USA. Usually that is a sign of a fake cop...someone that advertises who they are off duty.

My mate who came to Cuba with us, was an undertaker, others were hospital managers, nobody cares in Cuba... don’t believe all you read it’s a normal resort

You’re comparing apples to oranges. None of these occupations mentioned are government related.

What is with the bad vibes on this board?? It was a simple question. Or so I thought.

I don't have a husband who is a police officer but I do have one in the military. If there was a problem with him declaring being a police officer this would not be the only country he could not visit. My husband has certain countries that he is told we cannot visit. When Mexico was having problems Americans were told not to get off the ship. As a police officer visiting Cuba this is not the case. Just like most countries, don't advertise your country and your profession. You are as safe as a any person on vacation.

We were just in Cuba (via the Norwegian Sky). The Visa affidavit had nothing where you had to declare your occupation. I do not know if Norwegian supplies that info from their Guest info intake sheet. Perhaps you could check with them.

Havana was amazing. We had the best guides!! I believe they make the difference.

I hope y’all get to go!

28 replies before someone actually answered the question that was asked. And even after it'd been answered people still came in with off topic answers. Such a shame what's happened to CC.
Original question actually answered in post #2 and the OP changed the question completely in post #13 and that was answered in post #24

Not sure your point