Plastic straws

Acrusa

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Interesting story.

First time I’ve ever heard of a straw deposit policy.

Where is this hamburger/pizza joint?  Name please? So I can boycott the place.

King

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Interesting story.

First time I’ve ever heard of a straw deposit policy.

Where is this hamburger/pizza joint?  Name please? So I can boycott the place.

King

Me too.    A lot of nerve

5 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

They said the same thing about seatbelts, back in the day.

Now, people that don't use them are seen as, well, peculiar  :classic_wacko:

Think about it-

Seat belts and straws are so different they should NOT be in the same sentence or conversation.   Totally invalid comparison and absurd what the tree huggers are trying to do to the world with lots of bogus information and people selling BS.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Straughn said:

Ok, here is what I witnessed, a few days ago, at a hamburger/pizza joint. I don’t have to have a straw for my soda in a cup.  However,  I wouldn’t blame the mother in this occurrence  if she never set foot in the place again. 

In line to order. A mother with two elementary school aged children in front of me. She orders their food and asked for straws for the children. (Big signs saying that straws are available by request.) The person taking the order asks the children’s age. Mom says why does that matter. Response: We only provide straws for guests under age 10, elderly, or those with mobility/physical disabilities. Mom says ages are 7&9. Cashier says that there will be a $1.00 per straw deposit and the money will be refunded when the straws are returned so they can be disposed of properly.  Mom asks what happens if they take the drink and straw with them. No deposit refunded as no way to know if straws will be properly recycled.

Yes, folks this is what we have come to...

Poster did not say where, and name of the burger/pizza joint.

Paying a $1 depoosit for a straw,  if true, is absurd.  :classic_angry:

Once known,  everyone should boycott the joint or the restaurant chain.  

Look what happened in 2016.   

King 

Edited by Kingofcool1947

18 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Poster did not say where, and name of the burger/pizza joint.

Paying a $1 depoosit for a straw,  if true, is absurd.  :classic_angry:

Once known,  everyone should boycott the joint or the restaurant chain.

Look what happened in 2016.   

King 

What happened in 2016?    Must have been on a cruise and missed whatever it was. 

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Seat belts and straws are so different they should NOT be in the same sentence or conversation.   Totally invalid comparison and absurd what the tree huggers are trying to do to the world with lots of bogus information and people selling BS.

True.  Bogus info and people selling B.S. like:

smoking causes cancer.

sugar causes diabetes.

red meat causes heart attacks.

there is a hole in the ozone.

there is a shortage of natural gas.

plastics pollute the ocean.

seat belts save lives.

guns kill people. 

government is for the people,  by the people.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

True.  Bogus info and people selling B.S. like:

smoking causes cancer.

sugar causes diabetes.

red meat causes heart attacks.

there is a hole in the ozone.

there is a shortage of natural gas.

plastics pollute the ocean.

seat belts save lives.

guns kill people. 

government is for the people,  by the people.

Thank you for your service.    

plastic  straws  are a small part of the problem   think of all the plastic water bottle Oceania uses on a daily basis

better they should  give passengers  reusable  metal water bottles to take ashore

like these

image.png.32e450fa342d84dfde97ae8a19c79508.png

On 12/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Straughn said:

Ok, here is what I witnessed, a few days ago, at a hamburger/pizza joint. I don’t have to have a straw for my soda in a cup.  However,  I wouldn’t blame the mother in this occurrence  if she never set foot in the place again. 

In line to order. A mother with two elementary school aged children in front of me. She orders their food and asked for straws for the children. (Big signs saying that straws are available by request.) The person taking the order asks the children’s age. Mom says why does that matter. Response: We only provide straws for guests under age 10, elderly, or those with mobility/physical disabilities. Mom says ages are 7&9. Cashier says that there will be a $1.00 per straw deposit and the money will be refunded when the straws are returned so they can be disposed of properly.  Mom asks what happens if they take the drink and straw with them. No deposit refunded as no way to know if straws will be properly recycled.

Yes, folks this is what we have come to...

Fake news.

The post is most likely made up pure anti-straw B.S.

The poster never responded to provide  details that could be verified.

No name, and location of the  hamburger/pizza joint given.  So, the story can’t be fact checked.  And the joint boycotted.  

• 1 month later...

Lets  see.....I worked 10 years in Hawaii, on the beach  is various national parks as a ranger,   We had hundreds of Green Sea Turtles....      Interesting..... in that 10 years I never saw a single straw wash up.....  nor did  I ever see a Turtle or any other sea creature, at any time  get bothered by a plastic straw...................Some stupid  8 year old  made up this fairy tale and the world accepted it..   The guys that make these films  do so to generate money..for them... they dont  care  as much for the environment as they do their wallet.... and having power.         Wake up to the scam 

If people wanted to make a difference  they would stop using plastic water bottles by the hundreds of  millions and discarding them everywhere    If you want to see a con job...."Bottle Water" is the winner for the 20 th  century....      right along with  'This Mortgage is assumable   and  The Check is in the mail.

Plastic in the ocean comes from 3rd world countries and pacific  islands  where all the garbage is chucked into the sea and  Aisian fishing nets....      There is not a straw in the lot......   A classic case of mis-placed focus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Lets  see.....I worked 10 years in Hawaii, on the beach  is various national parks as a ranger,   We had hundreds of Green Sea Turtles....      Interesting..... in that 10 years I never saw a single straw wash up.....  nor did  I ever see a Turtle or any other sea creature, at any time  get bothered by a plastic straw...................Some stupid  8 year old  made up this fairy tale and the world accepted it..   The guys that make these films  do so to generate money..for them... they dont  care  as much for the environment as they do their wallet.... and having power.         Wake up to the scam 

If people wanted to make a difference  they would stop using plastic water bottles by the hundreds of  millions and discarding them everywhere    If you want to see a con job...."Bottle Water" is the winner for the 20 th  century....      right along with  'This Mortgage is assumable   and  The Check is in the mail.

Plastic in the ocean comes from 3rd world countries and pacific  islands  where all the garbage is chucked into the sea and  Aisian fishing nets....      There is not a straw in the lot......   A classic case of mis-placed focus.

Well written post.   Agree 100%   

On 2/11/2019 at 6:23 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Lets  see.....I worked 10 years in Hawaii, on the beach  is various national parks as a ranger,   We had hundreds of Green Sea Turtles....      Interesting..... in that 10 years I never saw a single straw wash up.....  nor did  I ever see a Turtle or any other sea creature, at any time  get bothered by a plastic straw........

Here's a report from Florida beaches today.

From the Herald Tribune  2/11/19 (Sarasota, FL) newspaper: "The Sarasota City Commission is considering banning single-use plastic straws citywide and polystyrene in public places, such as city buildings, events, sidewalks and on properties in which private entities lease space from the city. If the commission ultimately decides to prohibit either plastic product, the move would follow in the footsteps of other cities enacting similar bans of straws or polystyrene, including St. Petersburg, Sanibel, Fort Myers, Hollywood, Surfside, Coral Gables and Miami Beach

....According to local data cited by city officials, 17,049 bottle caps, 6,649 straws and stirrers, 6,192 plastic bags and 1,562 foam take-out containers were collected from local beaches from 2013 to 2017. The figures for the same time period also show 70,424 cigarette butts and 2,113 plastic lids were also collected from area coastlines. The problem with plastics is they don’t biodegrade in a marine environment, officials said. While plastics do break into smaller pieces, in the process, they become toxic and poison wildlife and water."

For the full article: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190210/sarasota-considers-ban-on-plastic-straws

3 hours ago, Pet Nit Noy said:

Here's a report from Florida beaches today.

From the Herald Tribune  2/11/19 (Sarasota, FL) newspaper: "The Sarasota City Commission is considering banning single-use plastic straws citywide and polystyrene in public places, such as city buildings, events, sidewalks and on properties in which private entities lease space from the city. If the commission ultimately decides to prohibit either plastic product, the move would follow in the footsteps of other cities enacting similar bans of straws or polystyrene, including St. Petersburg, Sanibel, Fort Myers, Hollywood, Surfside, Coral Gables and Miami Beach

....According to local data cited by city officials, 17,049 bottle caps, 6,649 straws and stirrers, 6,192 plastic bags and 1,562 foam take-out containers were collected from local beaches from 2013 to 2017. The figures for the same time period also show 70,424 cigarette butts and 2,113 plastic lids were also collected from area coastlines. The problem with plastics is they don’t biodegrade in a marine environment, officials said. While plastics do break into smaller pieces, in the process, they become toxic and poison wildlife and water."

For the full article: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190210/sarasota-considers-ban-on-plastic-straws

So who did the counting? Is that a government job? No wonder taxes are so high. 

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Agree with above statement.

Denying that plastics harm our oceans and our environment is like denying global warming and its effects. Yet some very prominent people do so :classic_angry:

Not the place to debate global warming.  Not everyone agrees with either opinion.  Lets leave that for the political websites I think. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Not the place to debate global warming.  Not everyone agrees with either opinion.  Lets leave that for the political websites I think. 

You obviously missed the point of my post so I will repeat it.

To deny the deleterious effect of plastics for our ecology is like saying that there is no evidence for global warming.

All educated people will agree on both as there is plenty of hard scientific evidence for both (despite the fact that it is still cold and it sometimes even snows in the winter :classic_biggrin:).

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

To deny the deleterious effect of plastics for our ecology is like saying that there is no evidence for global warming.

All educated people will agree on both as there is plenty of hard scientific evidence for both (despite the fact that it is still cold and it sometimes even snows in the winter :classic_biggrin:).

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Seems to be hard scientific on both sides, but it would be a good thing to re cycle all plastics not just a few little straws.  I heard that it still snows in the winter. Global cooling?   Maybe. 

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

You think? Could it be why Oceania will stop using plastic water bottles (in addition to a few little straws) :classic_biggrin:

Might be cheaper for them.  Will they save money?   Could be that is the reason.  Do not know and I am sure they won't tell us.  

28 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Climate warning did not wrk so they went to climate change, now it is going to be extreme climate. What part can.t they get right?

These days, it is only the truly reactionary who dispute the effects of Global Warming.

Ask any Oceanfront Realtor 🤑

1 hour ago, rvmike said:

Climate warning did not wrk so they went to climate change, now it is going to be extreme climate. What part can.t they get right?

Take a look at this:

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2018-was-4th-hottest-year-on-record-for-globe

Especially this part:

This marks the 42nd consecutive year (since 1977) with an above-average global temperature. Nine of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2005, with the last five years comprising the five hottest.

Of course, I should have realized that you know more about this subject and are a better expert than NASA, UK MET office & World Meteorological Organization combined.

Gut feeling always trumps facts. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili