Silly Question RE: Bag Tags

Hello everyone,

As I am in "compulsive cruise prep" mode; two quick questions I have:

a) My group is "Maroon" but is it a requirement to print these with a color printer?

b) How do you advise attaching these luggage tags such that they do not detach or become wet should there be rain?

Appreciate the insight from more seasoned cruisers :) This is only sailing #2 for me...but definitely not my last!

Thanks so much,

Adam

The color probably makes identification for sorting easier. But, they deliver the luggage based on the deck and cabin number. Black and white should be fine.

The porters always seem to use handwritten tags that have no color designation at the pier.

Just use shipping tape and tape the front and the back to make them stronger and keep them water tight (I've use a laminating machine before, as well). You can punch a hole in the tag and attach them with zip ties. Not sure about the color, but I would guess that that is needed to expedite getting your luggage.

I agree that b & w is fine for printing. As for attaching, I don't attach mine until we arrive at the port. The porters always have staplers and they attach them for me. I just have them ready in my hand when we hop out of the cab so it can all be done quickly.

Each Norwegian ship is assigned a color.

What you print out from MYNCL.com will show your cabin number, forward, aft and whether or not you are on the port or starboard side of the ship.

I purchase from an office supply store plastic baggage tags. Just cut to fit. I print enough to have tags showing on both sides. Have used the same plastic baggage tags for a number of cruises without any problems. I have a baggage tag on my carry on as well as my purse.

I use these, https://smile.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holders-Steel-Loops/dp/B017BVF8L6/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1535731128&sr=1-5&nodeID=1234358011&psd=1&keywords=cruise+luggage+tags. I keep them (and a back-up set) in my carry-on. They go on either at the hotel before leaving for the port or at the port itself. It's probably overkill, but I'm one of those people who like's to exercise as much control of my stuff as I can manage.

Each Norwegian ship is assigned a color.

That is not quite correct. Each SAILING is assigned a color.

The purpose of the color is to tell the luggage handlers which luggage is coming off of the ship, and which luggage is going onto the ship.

While a color printer makes it easier, it is not required. That is why the tag not only has the color, but also the color is spelled out in text form (also to help any luggage handlers who might be color-blind).

Colors are used to separate oncoming and off-going luggage.

The FWD, MID, & AFT designation tells them which elevator bank to use on the ship.

The cabin number tells them specifically where to deliver it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, As I am in "compulsive cruise prep" mode; two quick questions I have:

a) My group is "Maroon" but is it a requirement to print these with a color printer?

b) How do you advise attaching these luggage tags such that they do not detach or become wet should there be rain?

Appreciate the insight from more seasoned cruisers :) This is only sailing #2 for me...but definitely not my last!

Maroon is the color for the ship. All bags have the same color. No need to print in color.

Print and fold as directed. If you are compulsive, you can place a piece of packing tape or duct tape on the back of the tag to give it a bit more strength.

We use some packing tape to tape the two ends together.

If you are compulsive, place a tag on the top handle and another on the side handle of your bag.

For the ultra compulsive cruiser or anyone else for that matter make sure your luggage has identification

not only on the outside handle or other place BUT ALSO ON THE INSIDE in case the luggage loses it grip ah er handle.

A bag without any outside identification can be opened and the lost and found situation salvaged.

Put a copy of your cruise documents inside each of your checked pieces.

I use these, https://smile.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holders-Steel-Loops/dp/B017BVF8L6/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1535731128&sr=1-5&nodeID=1234358011&psd=1&keywords=cruise+luggage+tags. I keep them (and a back-up set) in my carry-on. They go on either at the hotel before leaving for the port or at the port itself. It's probably overkill, but I'm one of those people who like's to exercise as much control of my stuff as I can manage.

Another vote for these! Just got mine the other day and they work great.

Absolutely, and most any other cruise line.

Thank you!! I think they are my next purchase! Did you get lanyards from that company too? Any recommendations for lanyards that are water prof but easy to take card out often for beverage purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, neilkear said:

Reusable heavy duty flexible plastic sealing holders and a screw together metal rope attachment, and cheap! Did I say cheap!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071PB33NY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Agreed! I bought these...……...very durable and withstood American Airlines baggage handlers

• Like 1