Couple of newbie cruise questions...

arinie17

This website and the posts are amazing and so helpful, thank you everyone for your insight! So, we are doing our first family cruise in January on the Oasis. Very excited and a bit nervous. I've been reading and copying posts and links like crazy it feel like, a bit overwhelming! Couple of questions...

Don't plan on drinking really a lot at all with kiddos (8 and 11) so not interested in the beverage package. However, was looking at the soda package. I think my kids, particularly my 11 yr old would like it. We don't normally do soda a lot at all but would be a nice vacation treat for him. However, curious if we get one for him and one for one of us adults, can we buy booze on a ship store (do they even have stores?) and then mix drinks for ourselves in cups we bring?

So, it seems that all purchases are on a "sign and sail" card. Assuming this is our card for the week that is attached to our credit card, like the wrist bands at Disney? If so, do we even bring cash for on ship stuff or just enough for the ports/excursions/taxis? How much do you recommend?

Everyone says to book any/all shows you want to see. I can't seem to do that yet on my "cruise planner"? Is that because I'm too far out from our sail date? When can you start booking? Should we also book any specialty dining we want to do, say maybe a date nigh with kids in the kids club?

Any other tips with two kiddos greatly appreciated! Sorry for so many questions in one post!

Thank you in advance!!

Alicia

You cannot use liquor you buy in the ship's store until you get off the ship. They hold it until the end of the cruise.

Correct, you use your SeaPass card (room key) for all your onboard charges, except for booking a new cruise.

Reservations for shows and other things open at seemingly random times. All you can do is keep checking your Cruise Planner.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You will love Oasis, it's an amazing ship.

To answer your questions

1. You cannot have booze in your room on the ship. Any booze you purchase will be brought to you on the last night. You are allowed, however, to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine per person.

2. Correct, the ship is cashless. Cash is only needed in port. The amount you need really depends on what you plan to do and which ports you stop at.

3. Shows were available for booking for us somewhere around 60 to 90 days out . Check about 3 months before your sailing and then keep checking if unavailable.

4. I recommend specialty dining! We just got off Harmony and had purchased the 3 night dining package. It was $90 per person for 3 nights, so a good deal as some restaurants charge $50 pp.

5. Sign your kids up for the kids club on the first night so that they can make friends! Everyone is new on Day 1, but the kids seem to make groups quickly. It is always a good idea to attend the first night.

Have fun!!

1. You cannot have booze in your room on the ship. Any booze you purchase will be brought to you on the last night. You are allowed, however, to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine per person.

Agree with all of jacquelyn’s post except the wine is 2 bottles per cabin (as long as there is a guest of legal drinking age in that cabin) not per person.

We loved Oasis and I’m sure you will too!

Agree with all of jacquelyn’s post except the wine is 2 bottles per cabin (as long as there is a guest of legal drinking age in that cabin) not per person.

Oops, thanks for catching! That is what I meant to type :o

Just to be clear, you are not allowed to bring any alcohol, other than the mentioned 2 bottles of wine, on board to consume. All alcohol has be to purchased on board.

You can just buy drinks at the bars. Also, under the gift section, you can order a 375 ml bottle with mixers to be in your cabin when you board. Gin, rum, and JW Red are available.

Some people carry some smaller bills to give an additional tip to the staff who go above and beyond. Most of the gratuities are covered by the auto gratuities.

How much you spend off the ship will be up to you. I do eating and most things by credit card. So just have to cover some minor things. If you tell us your itinerary, we can help further.

You can get anything without a package. If you want a drink, simply get one. Unless your child will be guzzling soda all day, the package might not be worth it. You can also buy a can of soda without a package any time you want. That you may share. A fountain soda on a package is for the package holder only.

I wished I had brought more smaller bills for tipping, we used them up at the toll booths driving in and didn’t think to go and get more before we got on the ship. Soda package for me is a must, but my husband is happy with the available free soft drinks at meals. My kids like having the soda package and probably got good value out of it, even though it meant they drank more soda than we usually would allow.

... do we even bring cash for on ship stuff or just enough for the ports/excursions/taxis? How much do you recommend?

Some folks will say more (maybe a lot more), but for on-ship tips I get by just fine with about $60. That allows $20 for a decent room steward, $20-30 or so for MDR wait staff, and the rest for miscellaneous (drinks, etc), which isn't usually necessary because they automatically add an 18% gratuity for every drink you buy.

YES cash for onshore. A lot of people will scream "paranoid" about this, but I've been hit twice with credit card fraud right after a cruise (one was definitely in Mexico, probably a cafe or pharmacy). My card company covered all the fraudulent charges, but it was a pain in the backside. Not to mention a little scary. Maybe you can trust using a credit card at one of the duty-free stores at port (like for larger purchases), but as for many of the shops outside the port area, I highly recommend cash only. For cafe lunches while onshore, you can typically expect prices about the same or maybe a little higher than at home.

I just noticed, with the kiddos I'm sure you'll be tipping more for stateroom(s) and dining. You might want to figure $100 plus.

But do bear in mind, all of that tipping is optional, your choice, in consideration of the per-day Gratuities you'll get charged by default. I always tip extra for good service, in comparison to the really bad service we sometimes get.

And a little extra advice, which others might agree or not: We always slip our room attendant maybe a $10 bill (for one stateroom) no later than Day 2, as incentive to do a good job. Usually by the end of the cruise we'll tip more.

Edited by Moonarino

You need someone who's 21 in each cabin anyway, though you can get extra keys.

Don't bring cash you only use your seapass card to make everything easier. only place credit cards excepted is next cruise. Only complimentary,no-reservations required places open late night are cafe promenade and sorrentos. everything else closes before 9. The best place to find liquor on the ship would probably the shops on the royal promenade. On this ship if you didn't book an oceanview cabin you won't feel like your on cruise ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You will love Oasis, it's an amazing ship.

To answer your questions

2. Correct, the ship is cashless. Cash is only needed in port. The amount you need really depends on what you plan to do and which ports you stop at.

3. Shows were available for booking for us somewhere around 60 to 90 days out . Check about 3 months before your sailing and then keep checking if unavailable.

4. I recommend specialty dining! We just got off Harmony and had purchased the 3 night dining package. It was $90 per person for 3 nights, so a good deal as some restaurants charge $50 pp.

5. Sign your kids up for the kids club on the first night so that they can make friends! Everyone is new on Day 1, but the kids seem to make groups quickly. It is always a good idea to attend the first night.

Have fun!!

Great advice! Sounds like from a couple of threads that getting the kids to the kids club that first night is key. I always feel guilty even thinking about having them do a kids club but I know that they may love it more than hanging out with us on some of the cruise days.

Good to know on shows too. I'll need to put reminders on my calendar. Thank you!

Just to be clear, you are not allowed to bring any alcohol, other than the mentioned 2 bottles of wine, on board to consume. All alcohol has be to purchased on board.

You can just buy drinks at the bars. Also, under the gift section, you can order a 375 ml bottle with mixers to be in your cabin when you board. Gin, rum, and JW Red are available.

Some people carry some smaller bills to give an additional tip to the staff who go above and beyond. Most of the gratuities are covered by the auto gratuities.

How much you spend off the ship will be up to you. I do eating and most things by credit card. So just have to cover some minor things. If you tell us your itinerary, we can help further.

So you can order a bottle of something to be delivered to your room and then buy soda as well on board and mix that and drink? I like rum/coke so thinking if we bring a cup that would work but don't want to break any rules either.

Interesting how many people seem to tip with cash over the automatic gratuities charge. Never would have thought of that...Just assume if you are paying gratuities you are good already.

As for itinerary.... none booked yet but hoping to soon. Jamaica - Blue Hole and beach/lunch; Labadee - beach day and maybe renting one of those covered bed things/cabana; Cozumel - jeep tour where we can snorkel, visit some sort of Mayan thing, and lunch.

Thank you!!

Don't bring cash you only use your seapass card to make everything easier. only place credit cards excepted is next cruise. Only complimentary,no-reservations required places open late night are cafe promenade and sorrentos. everything else closes before 9. The best place to find liquor on the ship would probably the shops on the royal promenade. On this ship if you didn't book an oceanview cabin you won't feel like your on cruise ship.

So reservations a must for us, thank you! We did book an oceanview room so that is great to hear! Mostly as my daughter/husband sometimes get overwhelmed with crowds so I thought this would be a nice way to just get away from a bit but still get fresh air/and beautiful views!

Some folks will say more (maybe a lot more), but for on-ship tips I get by just fine with about $60. That allows $20 for a decent room steward, $20-30 or so for MDR wait staff, and the rest for miscellaneous (drinks, etc), which isn't usually necessary because they automatically add an 18% gratuity for every drink you buy.

YES cash for onshore. A lot of people will scream "paranoid" about this, but I've been hit twice with credit card fraud right after a cruise (one was definitely in Mexico, probably a cafe or pharmacy). My card company covered all the fraudulent charges, but it was a pain in the backside. Not to mention a little scary. Maybe you can trust using a credit card at one of the duty-free stores at port (like for larger purchases), but as for many of the shops outside the port area, I highly recommend cash only. For cafe lunches while onshore, you can typically expect prices about the same or maybe a little higher than at home.

Very helpful, thank you! Again, never would have thought of bringing so much for tips with the built in gratuity charge but glad I know now. Also good point on the card as well, my hubby is very anxious about fraud as well. Thank you again!

So you can order a bottle of something to be delivered to your room and then buy soda as well on board and mix that and drink? I like rum/coke so thinking if we bring a cup that would work but don't want to break any rules either.

Interesting how many people seem to tip with cash over the automatic gratuities charge. Never would have thought of that...Just assume if you are paying gratuities you are good already.

As for itinerary.... none booked yet but hoping to soon. Jamaica - Blue Hole and beach/lunch; Labadee - beach day and maybe renting one of those covered bed things/cabana; Cozumel - jeep tour where we can snorkel, visit some sort of Mayan thing, and lunch.

Thank you!!

I believe you have to preorder the liquor to be in your room. I've never seen a list of bottles on board to buy, but I was never on the lookout fot it either.

Fyi blue hole is a long way from falmouth. You're prob looking at a two hour bus ride to get there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I believe you have to preorder the liquor to be in your room. I've never seen a list of bottles on board to buy, but I was never on the lookout fot it either.

Fyi blue hole is a long way from falmouth. You're prob looking at a two hour bus ride to get there.

I did read it was a bit of a drive, about an hour and 1/2 which is what is really making me not like it. But, not sure what else to do with two kids either. Dunns Falls looked very touristy to be honest and we have done a lot of waterfalls in our area, and the tubing seemed a bit too much for our 8 year old. The Blue Hole got great reviews and I like that you can opt out of any jumps if you want (for kids sake) and seemed a bit less touristy. Keeping our fingers crossed!!

Very helpful, thank you! Again, never would have thought of bringing so much for tips with the built in gratuity charge but glad I know now. Also good point on the card as well, my hubby is very anxious about fraud as well. Thank you again!

You do NOT have to bring a lot of $$ for extra tips. Extra tips are NOT necessary. There are SO many posters here that either lie about what they do or just brag about how much they tip. For anyone to give $1 - $2 ADDITIONAL on each drink from a bar is just excessive.

You do NOT have to feel awkward about not tipping additional money, either. It is the norm to not tip additional. It is the exception TO tip additional.

I did read it was a bit of a drive, about an hour and 1/2 which is what is really making me not like it. But, not sure what else to do with two kids either. Dunns Falls looked very touristy to be honest and we have done a lot of waterfalls in our area, and the tubing seemed a bit too much for our 8 year old. The Blue Hole got great reviews and I like that you can opt out of any jumps if you want (for kids sake) and seemed a bit less touristy. Keeping our fingers crossed!!
Dunns is actually really cool in my opinion, though just about as far. I haven't been to blue hole as I'm waiting until I port in ocho rios again, but from friends they both seem equally touristy.

I've kayaked and river boarded down the river Bengal falls is on. Much closer, though I wouldn't recommend the boarding for 8 & 10 years. The little personal kayaks, maybe - depends if the kids have paddled or not. Though frankly some of the adults in my group barely knew what they were doing.

Thank you!!

Just pointing out the bottle of rum purchased through gifts and delivered to your cabin is a small bottle! If you only want an occasional drink you might be better off just paying for it.

Lots of advice about extra tips. Some people do tip a favorite bartender above and beyond the standard gratuity but it is definitely not necessary.

As long as you pay your standard gratuities that are billed per person, per day, including the kids, you don’t have to pay any extra.

I am not saying that extra tips are not appreciated for very good service but that’s a very personal choice and something you can decide at the end of your cruise.

It’s a good idea to have smaller bills for on shore purchases; otherwise you run the risk of getting change back in local currency.

Thank you!!

The packages are booze and mixers. So the Rum option gives you a 375 ml bottle of rum and 4 cans of Coke. And they are a bit pricey. Most people just buy a drink when they want one.

I tip extra for above and beyond. On Grandeur a couple of weeks ago, I was bantering with the pool bartender about how he made caipirinhas. They were using simple syrup, and I was commenting they were better made with real sugar. He went to WJ, got packets of sugar and made them. And did this every time I came up to the bar. So I tipped him extra for the extra effort.