Cruise Critic Community
TheBandit

Oia - how to get there independently

The boat to Oia is super easy and convenient. We spent several hours there and caught the last bus back - it goes along a ridge with lovely views. No hassles at all, enjoyed our day very much thanks to people on this board!

On 5/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, QueenP said:

The boat to Oia is super easy and convenient. We spent several hours there and caught the last bus back - it goes along a ridge with lovely views. No hassles at all, enjoyed our day very much thanks to people on this board!

Can you confirm when you were there?   Was it this year / recently?    I am heading there in July and just want to confirm the boats are there.   I had read different threads from last year that said there were not boats / water taxi's to the base of Oia.     Thanks much.   

It was October 2017. There were multiple boats waiting at the pier as soon as you stepped off the tender all competing for your money! I cant comment on more recently sorry.

I was there last week and used the boat/ferry service you will see immediately at the pier. For 15 euros you get a nice boat ride and the busses leave on the hour between 9 and 2 to return you to Fira. Service was very reliable and pretty efficient. We took cable car down with minimal wait but there were only 2 ships in port. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input.     Ugh...  We don't dock until 1:00 pm and depart at 10:00 pm.     If the busses stop running at 2:00 I am guessing we are on our own.     Wonder if they adjust the bus schedule to accommodate the ships in port.      There will be 3 ships in port.... one arrives at 7:00, one a 9:00 and ours at 1:00.    

Edited by ELIZG

4 hours ago, Piper77 said:

I was there last week and used the boat/ferry service you will see immediately at the pier. For 15 euros you get a nice boat ride and the busses leave on the hour between 9 and 2 to return you to Fira. Service was very reliable and pretty efficient. We took cable car down with minimal wait but there were only 2 ships in port. 

That's great! So, you just go to the ferry without reservations and they take you?

How was the weather?

Thanks.

23 hours ago, aberthelot said:

That's great! So, you just go to the ferry without reservations and they take you?

How was the weather?

Thanks.

I found the company that we used.  There was no need for reservation.  I'm not even sure if there was set departure times, seems like they kinda waited until the ferry filled up.  We waited no more than 15 minutes it seemed.

http://www.aegeantravellersantorini.com/transfer-to-oia-by-speedboat-private-bus-back-to-fira/

From what I saw, the public bus also seemed pretty reliable.  In Oia there was a bus terminal that was easy to find where everything seemed to go from.  It's filled with tourists - so shouldn't be hard to find the right destination :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.    I have sent off an email to see when the last water taxi and bus is... as we are in port from 1:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

Greatly appreciate the contact info.

I am not sure where folks got the idea that the bus between Fira and Oia stops at 2pm.  This is simply not true.  It runs all day and even into the night until around 10pm!.   But if there are a few ships in port that bus from Oia can become overcrowded and even full.  The driver will usually cram everyone in....but there are times when that might not be possible.  Here is a link to the bus schedule:

https://santorinisecrets.com/santorini-bus-schedule/

In the past the boat operators simply handed a regular bus ticket (for the return from Oia) to the passengers and they could return on any bus.  

Hank

Thanks Hank.    There has many conflicting reports on this service.   Glad to hear this is do-able within the time we have available.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I am not sure where folks got the idea that the bus between Fira and Oia stops at 2pm.  This is simply not true.  It runs all day and even into the night until around 10pm!.   But if there are a few ships in port that bus from Oia can become overcrowded and even full.  The driver will usually cram everyone in....but there are times when that might not be possible.  Here is a link to the bus schedule:

In the past the boat operators simply handed a regular bus ticket (for the return from Oia) to the passengers and they could return on any bus.  

Hank

Hi Hank,

It is a difficult walk up the steep stairs to Oia or do people take the bus into the town?

Thanks!

Angela

17 minutes ago, aberthelot said:

Hi Hank,

It is a difficult walk up the steep stairs to Oia or do people take the bus into the town?

Thanks!

Angela

There are a lot of stairs so if you have mobility or endurance issues it would not be fun.  When we have been in Oia there is a small shuttle bus that we could see bringing folks up from the pier to town.  If you are concerned about the steps you probably should ask the boat operator (at Fira) if there is a bus...before you pay for the boat transportation.   I looked around the Internet and found the attached picture which shows the small pier from Oia.  It should help give you some idea of the geography.

Hank

th[1].jpg

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There are a lot of stairs so if you have mobility or endurance issues it would not be fun.  When we have been in Oia there is a small shuttle bus that we could see bringing folks up from the pier to town.  If you are concerned about the steps you probably should ask the boat operator (at Fira) if there is a bus...before you pay for the boat transportation.   I looked around the Internet and found the attached picture which shows the small pier from Oia.  It should help give you some idea of the geography.

Hank

th[1].jpg

Thanks Hank!

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The company I provided info on was not using the public bus and their shuttle service that included a coach ride back to Fira stopped at 2pm - but one could certainly take a public bus back if they wanted to on their own. 

I chose the 15 euro boat / bus combo as it meant we did not have to take the cable car up to Fira. 

The boat service we used took 15 minutes and then they also provide a short bus shuttle up to Oia - so you can avoid the steep walk if you prefer. 

I went to the source and contacted the company in the link above (aegeantraveller).   

For those interested.

The last boat leaves Fira to Oia at approx. 3:00 pm

The last bus leaving Oia to Fira runs at 7:00 pm

On 10/9/2018 at 6:10 AM, TheBandit said:

Hi,

came back from our cruise and just wanted to give you some feedback about our experience.

The shore excursion we booked worked out perfectly (on the ShoreBee website). Did cost us 15 Euros each. Departure on time at 8.30am with a boat directly from the port to the Oia port. From there a quick bus ride up to Oia. Arriving at around 9.45am. Then we had time to explore the town completely on our own. Buses back were at 11am, 12noon, 1pm and 2pm. No reservations needed, just show up about 15' before time. They have enough seats and busses ready for the transport to Fira (about 20'). From Fira back to the port you are on your own though (cable car or walking). We walked....took about only 30' and there weren't many donkeys around - it's end of season soon I guess. Great experience all around, well organised and on time. And for that price a real steal.

Was the boat and bus that transported you to and from Oia independently operated by ShoreBee? 

Public bus was so easy. We took the cable car up and asked locals to point us in the direction of the bus depot. However, we were the only ship in port in October, so it made things a lot easier.  

Solent Richard do you have any other tips and hints of places to visit. I looked at your profile page for links but there doesn't seem to be any. 

We will be visiting on the Nieuw Statendam in October.  We are planning to hike the trail between Oia and Fira and are trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it.  Ideally we would like to take the cable car up to Fira and hike to Oia, then either bus or cab back.  But there are 5 ships calling that day and 1 of them (Celebrity Edge) arrives an hour earlier than the others.  So I am concerned that we will be out of luck as far as the line at the cable car goes and I'm not thrilled about climbing up the donkey path before starting a 7 mile hike!  So that leaves the boat over to Oia and then hiking back to Fira.  But from what I've read on these posts it seems like you could waste a lot of time waiting for them decide when, or if, they're leaving.  I am guessing that with 5 ships arriving, there should be enough people that the boat won't be a problem.  What am I missing???  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I am resurrecting this thread as I just got back from the Greek Isles and did the Santorini ferry to Oia.      We purchased the tickets from Aegean Traveller to take us from the port in Fira to Oia, a bus up the hill to Oia and a return bus back to Fira.

A few things to note.      It is VERY misleading that the bus will take you up the hill to Oia.   IT DOES NOT.   You have to walk up a very steep, long hill to get to the top.  The bus will then take you to the depot.     The hill is the hardest part and if you have medical issues or a hard time walking, it will be a very difficult climb.     We were told to look for a bus when we got off the boat that said NST.    We did find one at the bottom of the hill, but the driver kept yelling at us to walk to the top to look for a big white bus.    

Also what they don't tell you is that there is one dock for the boats and catamarans .... so there was a long line of boats to dock and let people off / on the boats.    

On a positive note, the lineup for the Cable Car at the end of the day took about 15 minutes.

Also to add to this after just returning from Santorini...  our ship docked in port at 7AM and we were off on the first tender out to ensure we would avoid the potential crowds and lines to get to Oia.  Our original intent was to purchase the ferry tickets as discussed but the ferry operators were not yet open at that time.  We thus took the cable car up with no wait and proceed to the bus terminal.  Unfortunately, again at that early hour the buses weren't running frequently and the next one wasn't for another 45 minutes.  We instead grabbed a cab and for 30Euros, the driver took us straight into Oia. 

On the way back, we did take the local bus from Oia to Fira which was cheap, comfortable and convenient.  However despite being only one cruise ship in port that day, there was an extremely long line for the cable car down so we opted to take the walk back. 

Guess bottom line is to do the research and ensure you're aware of the different options because if one plan doesn't pan out, you have a back-up to fall back on!

I included a copy of the bus schedule between Oia and Fira in hopes that it can help others plan their day on the island.

IMG_1787.JPG

Ah the advice about the taxi has helped me with plan B.  We are in port 2 pm - 10 pm and there are other ships already in port.  My first choice would be to take the water taxi to Oia and then the public bus back.  I was thinking of getting off the bus before we get to Fira and walking back (Mid September) the last 40- minutes.  That would depend on how we are doing for time.  

It is good to know the taxi options - because even the worst case scenario - having a return taxi between Fira and Oia, will cost less than a ship tour, and restrict us to a Ship tour which we do not really enjoy.  

Still thinking about sunset.  This will take place before we sail away. Now I think sunset in Santorini may be a little bit over-hyped.  I visited Santorini 40 years ago.  Same island, same sun.  We enjoyed the beaches, we enjoyed the iced coffee and I am sure we enjoyed the ouzo.  No recollection of sunset as a ‘thing’ to do.  

So I think we may well be back on board for sunset and then go to the MDR for dinner.   

We were in port from 2:00 - 10:00 (in July 2019), and there were 3 other ships in port.    Luckily the other ships all left by 8:00 so the cable car back down wasn't an issue.   But we were back on board for sunset.   But it was still spectacular.