Cruise Critic Community
TheBandit

Oia - how to get there independently

I'm not sure if the boats to Oia will still be running at that point? They seem to go in the mornings, not afternoons.

The boats know when the cruise ships are in port... they were there when we arrived at 2:00 pm.    

Does anyone who has visited recently know if taxis are waiting at the top of the cable car? I read that someone hired one to drive them to Oia. Do you know if you can hire one to drive you around for the day, stopping at your chosen points of interest? Or, were there tour companies trying to get your business at the top of the cable car? Just wondering if this is an option.

22 hours ago, shipster60 said:

Does anyone who has visited recently know if taxis are waiting at the top of the cable car? I read that someone hired one to drive them to Oia. Do you know if you can hire one to drive you around for the day, stopping at your chosen points of interest? Or, were there tour companies trying to get your business at the top of the cable car? Just wondering if this is an option.

When we were there last month, the taxis were not waiting at the top of the cable car.  Rather they were waiting in a little lot by the bus station a few streets further into the main part of town in Fira.  We did not see any tour companies trying to garner our business.  Granted, it was early in the morning so not sure if that had anything to do with my previous two statements.  Should you wish to have the taxi drive you around for the day and make multiple stops, I presume that can be arranged directly with them.

On 8/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, shipster60 said:

If my memory serves me correctly, the top of the cable car empties into a pedestrian only area of Fira.  You wave to walk a couple blocks to get to an actual road.  The bus depot was probably a 10 minute walk away.  If you are just going to Oia, I would take the bus.  There's only one road there, so a taxi isn't really going to get you there any quicker and similar to Fira, it pretty much all pedestrian walkways to get around Oia.  So the taxi isn't going to get you any closer than the bus.  Now if you're doing a longer tour going to multiple areas of the island, then a taxi may be worth it for all day.

The cruise I'm looking at has Santorini from 2pm-10pm.

Can we take the bus at the bottom near the port all the way up to Oia?  Hang out there for a few hours, take the public bus back down as far as Fira, hang out there for a while, then take the cable car back down to port?

I'm getting a little confused with all of the various modes of transportation and how/where they take you to...

4 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

The cruise I'm looking at has Santorini from 2pm-10pm.

Can we take the bus at the bottom near the port all the way up to Oia?  Hang out there for a few hours, take the public bus back down as far as Fira, hang out there for a while, then take the cable car back down to port?

I'm getting a little confused with all of the various modes of transportation and how/where they take you to...

There is no bus up to Oia, unless you mean taking a ship's excursion, in which case they will take you by bus to Oia (at a cost) and then eventually drop you at Fira. As for hanging out for a couple of hours, you will be there are long as the ship's excursion dictates, unless you opt to make our own way back.

If you don't choose a ship's excursion you will be dropped at a different tender dock and from there you can get the cable car or walk up to Fira, or take the boat to Oia. The only thing about your arrival time is that the boats often don't run in the afternoons, only in the morning when most ships arrive.

7 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

@Bobal, so we essentially have to take the cable car up and back down from Fira...? I'm okay with that. Sounds like less hassle TBH.

Yes that's correct. Sometimes the lines for the cable cars can be very long but most ships arrive in the morning so that's the worst time. We had similar arrival and departure times (2-10) earlier this year and walked straight on to the cable car both up and down