Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Formula280SS

ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Recommended Posts

They just put out the update that it will be a category 4 and not be hitting the coast until next weekend. So that is going to be putting you guys thru some really crummy weather

 

I would not trust NCL to not sail directly thru it to NY. Been there, done that with them.

 

Why would you trust NCL to not do that? They've literally done it twice in the last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They just put out the update that it will be a category 4 and not be hitting the coast until next weekend. So that is going to be putting you guys thru some really crummy weather

 

I would not trust NCL to not sail directly thru it to NY. Been there, done that with them.

 

At the end of the day their is nothing you can do. Two options.....bail from the cruise or come and enjoy yourself. Nothing you or NCL can do about the weather. By Friday it should be inland SC-NC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, it certainly has been an active pre-cruise week for everyone. Still we really don't know where Florence will go. IMO, not really certain NCL KNOWS WHERE ESCAPE WILL GO.

 

It has been noted that we've got to beat the system down the coast, then hope she moves up and out of the way before we return. Seems like a lot is STILL UP IN THE AIR.

 

The seas will not be ideal in the best of circumstances, especially as we must navigate South while the waves and surge ahead of the storm will likely not be met head on (ideal IMO); rather laterally. We prefer head versus the lateral movement. That's just us.

 

Bermuda schools and businesses are all open Monday (currently) and the models put Florence 500+ miles South of Bermuda at best. It would be in the 'not favorable Northeast quarter of the wind cyclone however, so will be windy and big surf. Not ideal for ESCAPE to be re-rerouted to Bermuda. We just don't know yet.

 

Bermuda weather reports are also calling for a lot of windy wet weather through the next weekend, so not ideal for excursions either. Again, just reading some of the reports and maps; not an expert by any means.

 

HOWEVER, after our EXPERIENCE on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS this past January, when the Captain was directed (on our return from the Southern Caribbean and following a 'noreaster) to CROSS THE FRONT as we had a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. It didn't make sense to RISK 5,000 passengers and 2,500 crew in our opinion. The short of it, WE DON'T REALLY TRUST CRUISE LINES 100% in some circumstances.

 

SO I MADE A DEAL WITH MY WIFE ~

 

If she is uncomfortable (anxiety) with the latest weather reports Sunday morning, and no change in NCL itinerary, WE WON'T GO. No refund is no problem, it's just not worth it. ALSO, if we do go and make it to Florida and the Bahamas, and FLORENCE isn't clearing fast and it is going to be a rough ride home,

 

OR IF ANOTHER SYSTEM makes speed behind it, WE'LL GET OFF AND FLY HOME.

 

Just our thoughts. I know everyone has their own opinions and certainly more expertise than we do in such regards. I find the LACK OF INFORMATION ON ALL OF THE CRUISE LINES WEBSITES quite disappointing.

 

GLTA

 

We'll, we're up at 5:45AM updating all the reports from various sources. Wife has decided we will head to port later this morning and probably board the ship with the understanding that she can change her mind up until the last chance to disembark.

 

I'm leaning towards it's going to be okay (under the circumstances) to beat the storm and the heavy wave surge on the fast planned route down. After that, it looks like a play it by ear scenario. We're just hoping that they lag behind the storm if it is still troublesome on the way back; or at least tell us so that we could get off the ship and settle down somewhere until a flight can be found.

 

Again, it's all up to my wife and her comfort level. Her trust of the cruise industry was 'rocked this past January on Anthem of the Seas return from 12N Southern Caribbean when trailing a 'noreaster and the Captain was instructed to abort the course of lagging behind it and make top speed for NY for medical emergency and WE CROSSED THE FRONT. Really tough sledding, but we're okay with motion; rather the DECISION was a very, very poor and risk/dangerous one.

 

We'll see.

 

Thanks for so much input from so many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We'll, we're up at 5:45AM updating all the reports from various sources. Wife has decided we will head to port later this morning and probably board the ship with the understanding that she can change her mind up until the last chance to disembark.

 

I'm leaning towards it's going to be okay (under the circumstances) to beat the storm and the heavy wave surge on the fast planned route down. After that, it looks like a play it by ear scenario. We're just hoping that they lag behind the storm if it is still troublesome on the way back; or at least tell us so that we could get off the ship and settle down somewhere until a flight can be found.

 

Again, it's all up to my wife and her comfort level. Her trust of the cruise industry was 'rocked this past January on Anthem of the Seas return from 12N Southern Caribbean when trailing a 'noreaster and the Captain was instructed to abort the course of lagging behind it and make top speed for NY for medical emergency and WE CROSSED THE FRONT. Really tough sledding, but we're okay with motion; rather the DECISION was a very, very poor and risk/dangerous one.

 

We'll see.

 

Thanks for so much input from so many.

 

 

Hope you do end up having a great vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
$100 of shipboard credit each. That's the reason I spent eighteen months going back and forth with their customer service department about.

 

Wow we were on RCL to Bermuda a few years ago for a 5 night cruise. Well there was a terrible hurricane and we had to go to St. John in Canada instead. As you could imagine we were upset but needed to be kept safe. We were notified the night before via automated phone call. I unpacked all my bathing suits and packed heavy clothing.

 

RCL left a note on our bed giving us an $800 refund . They based the refund by your cabin. I think inside got $500 or something like that. Anyway I thought that was very nice as they have nothing to do with the crazy weather.

 

BTW we just got off the Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda this Thursday. We really lucked out and had beautiful weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the latest update Florence is hitting the East coast late Thursday or Early Friday. The Escape will be in the Bahamas at least that is the plan. There is no way the ship can get back to NYC on Sunday without putting us through terrible weather. My plan is to board and then when we stop in Florida I will check on Florence. If it's the same or worse I will leave the ship and fly home to Newark. I have zero interest in that dangerous ride back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Based on the latest update Florence is hitting the East coast late Thursday or Early Friday. The Escape will be in the Bahamas at least that is the plan. There is no way the ship can get back to NYC on Sunday without putting us through terrible weather. My plan is to board and then when we stop in Florida I will check on Florence. If it's the same or worse I will leave the ship and fly home to Newark. I have zero interest in that dangerous ride back.

 

You need to rethink your plan. If you were to disembark in Florida, NCL will be assessed a large fine. Cruise ships are not allowed to transport passengers from one US port to another without a stop in a foreign country. NY to Florida doesn't cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We'll, we're up at 5:45AM updating all the reports from various sources. Wife has decided we will head to port later this morning and probably board the ship with the understanding that she can change her mind up until the last chance to disembark.

 

I'm leaning towards it's going to be okay (under the circumstances) to beat the storm and the heavy wave surge on the fast planned route down. After that, it looks like a play it by ear scenario. We're just hoping that they lag behind the storm if it is still troublesome on the way back; or at least tell us so that we could get off the ship and settle down somewhere until a flight can be found.

 

Again, it's all up to my wife and her comfort level. Her trust of the cruise industry was 'rocked this past January on Anthem of the Seas return from 12N Southern Caribbean when trailing a 'noreaster and the Captain was instructed to abort the course of lagging behind it and make top speed for NY for medical emergency and WE CROSSED THE FRONT. Really tough sledding, but we're okay with motion; rather the DECISION was a very, very poor and risk/dangerous one.

 

We'll see.

 

Thanks for so much input from so many.

 

Hope you have a safe and great cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You need to rethink your plan. If you were to disembark in Florida, NCL will be assessed a large fine. Cruise ships are not allowed to transport passengers from one US port to another without a stop in a foreign country. NY to Florida doesn't cut it.

 

 

 

Very good point!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very good point and I am sure they would pass that fine onto the passenger.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very good point!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

$762.00 per person, to be precise.

 

I had to make an emergency disembarkation once in Port Canaveral and learned this the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Based on the latest update Florence is hitting the East coast late Thursday or Early Friday. The Escape will be in the Bahamas at least that is the plan. There is no way the ship can get back to NYC on Sunday without putting us through terrible weather. My plan is to board and then when we stop in Florida I will check on Florence. If it's the same or worse I will leave the ship and fly home to Newark. I have zero interest in that dangerous ride back.

This would be a Jones Act violation. This would also involve Customs and Border Patrol as you are reentering the US. To just “leave” would also be a CBP violation (if they catch it quick enough, you may get detained at MCO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This would be a Jones Act violation. This would also involve Customs and Border Patrol as you are reentering the US. To just “leave” would also be a CBP violation (if they catch it quick enough, you may get detained at MCO).

 

This is nonsense....don't listen to this person. No American citizen would be detained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is nonsense....don't listen to this person. No American citizen would be detained.

Try walking past immigrations at an airport or port claiming that you are a American citizen and don’t find it necessary to talk to them,,, see what happens to you.

 

You will be detained at some point. More likely picked up from your home by immigrations.

Edited by BirdTravels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This would be a Jones Act violation. This would also involve Customs and Border Patrol as you are reentering the US. To just “leave” would also be a CBP violation (if they catch it quick enough, you may get detained at MCO).

 

It would be a Passenger Vessel Services Act violation. The Jones Act regulates the shipment of merchandise, not passengers. The cruise line would be fined $778 for each passenger disembarking in violation of the law, and NCL would then charge that $778 to the passenger's account.

 

They're not going to be detained by anyone. They would never have left the US, having boarded in NY and disembarked in FL with no foreign port calls. It would be no more a border violation than taking a ferry across the Hudson River from Weehawken, NJ to Manhattan would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Try walking past immigrations at an airport or port claiming that you are a US citizen and don’t find it necessary to talk to them,,, see what happens to you.

 

Try showing them your passport if they ask. See what happens to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What if PC is a port of call and you miss getting back on the ship? Will you be fined?

I imagine you would be fined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading some details on what is expected when Florence makes landfall. A ridge in the Ohio Valley is expected to stall the storm at the coast and slow it way down. So the coastal pounding will continue and the Escape will have to go out near Bermuda to get clear. And we'll have to see if that forces the storm to go up coast instead of inland. Still a lot of uncertainty.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine you will be fine.

 

What if PC is a port of call and you miss getting back on the ship? Will you be fined?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just came off the Escape this AM. Was a choppy last day at sea. Downright blustery. Could not use the pool or sundecks from Friday on. Not unsafe but things were rough on those prone to seasickness. Smooth sailing to all. At least she’s a beautiful ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, anytime we’ve sailed from NY, it has been super windy on the first two days and last day, and that is with no hurricane in sight. Based on the latest news I just looked at the storm will be long inland before Escape treks North, making landfall Thursday morning. Our last cruise on the Getaway this spring, we were skirting a tropical storm the whole way. People on the roll call became self pronounced meteorologists, even making their own predictions on the storms path. They were saying we would be diverted, miss ports, bad conditions, etc. Turned out to be a blast with beautiful weather, with light rain only in Cozumel. And we pulled into the port of Miami earlier than expected to avoid issues in the morning. NCL made all the right decisions for us. I hope all those on the cruise get on, start enjoying the UBP. I’m sort of jealous as I would actually like the adventure aspect of cruising this week. Obligations at work prevented me from taking any vacation time this fall, but this convinced me to book one for early next fall. We did sail last November on the Epic, and the cruise had long been changed from our original itinerary of eastern Carribean to western, so no adventure there. And the itinerary I originally booked was not what I got, but made the most of it and had a great time. If NCL offered refunds solely on when an itinerary changed, it would open up a can of worms since they change on a regular basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why would you trust NCL to not do that? They've literally done it twice in the last year.

 

Sailed through a hurricane or a storm? Big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...