ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

To the OP

Two thoughts to keep in mind before booking your next cruise.

Hurricane season in the Caribbean and the eastern coast of the US have historically disrupted many cruises. Ships’ captains are primarily concerned with passenger safety. Hence ,change of ports when the cruise is faced with serious weather conditions.

Every cruise contract covers the discretion of the cruise line to change itinerararies.

Also, cruising to the Caribbean during the Summer months,passengers will encounter high temperatures and extreme humidity.

Celebrity recently offered very good rates and four free perks for their 2019 Summer cruises to the Caribbean. This is obviously a plan to fill the ships for those months.

No thank you,I will visit the Caribbean during the winter for a break from cold weather.

Are your directing your post at me as the OP thread starter? If so, why?

Please - read and try to comprehend the posts. Where exactly did this person say or imply they wanted to go straight into the storm?

All the other affected cruise lines have done something to help make up for this unfortunate event, why is it so hard for the NCL pom-pom wavers to recognize that NCL has not handled this as well as other lines have?

And how is that at all relevant here?

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I agree the about the service on the Escape. Yes we booked in hurricane season and unfortunately Florence came and we were re routed. That being said when the service on the ship is aweful it makes for a very long week. My husband got very sick with a bacteria infection and dehydration. It all happen early Thursday morning. He was so sick I had to call the ships 911 number twice with no answer and the medical phycility twice with no answer. With Breathing I had to leave him in the room while I ran to guest services. There was only 1 women behind the desk. She was on the phone. I came up to her and she looked at me while I told her I had a medical emergency. She continued with her phone call which did not seem life threading to me for about 2 minutes. When she hung up I told her I had a medical emergency stat in my room. And gave her my room #. Also stated that no one answered the 911 line. Went back to room and not a medical personal showed up but the head of housekeeping. He asked my husband a few questions and step out of stateroom. Next the stateroom phone rang to which I answered. The nurse asked me a few questions and I then told her to please send a medical doctor. She then ask to speak to my husband on the phone. She asked him if he could walk down to the medical hospital. He then lost it and told them they better send a doctor or a wheel chair to get him. Few minutes later the nurse showed up and saw my husband was under duress. Took temp and it was 103.2. Took over 1/2 hour from the time I called the non answering 911 to the time he started treatment. Once treatment was started he had good care but the cost of 3134.50 for 2 hours. I went to guest relations to complain the next morning. Yes got a song and dance of the lines being down and they were sorry. Well sorry does not cut it and I demanded to talk to a supervisor. As I sat there crying to her she too just brushed it off like I was just going to forget about it. When hubby was up and feeling better he did take care of it and we got two claim numbers to go to corporate with. When it comes to your life in the middle of an ocean or anywhere for that matter, you want to know that someone will be there for you immmediatly. As far as the rest of the cruise I found the service in most areas lacking. Ship is beautiful and has plenty to do. I did enjoy almost every meal I had, but there too the service was lacking. Tender 4000 people off a ship is a joke. A ship that size should never have to tender. It too took us 21/2 hours from the start to the time we got to Island. Yes I agree nothing great about Stirrup Cay or Port Canaveral. As I heard the same thing about Captain knowing we were not going to Nassau before we even left NY to me that is just a plain old liar. Got my hopes up to swim with the dolphins in Nassau and that did not happen. The cruise was not what I signed up for and was definaltly not worth the price we paid and I too am very disgusted with with Norwegian and there lack of ignorance.

So long, more room for us on NCL, and less negative vibes

These comments are unfair to the travelers on these cruises. They paid for cruises to Bermuda and ended up with cruises to Canada and Florida. Both of which had they booked based on the destinations would have been much cheaper and they should be compensated the difference in cost. I don't think that is being negative at all!

These comments are unfair to the travelers on these cruises. They paid for cruises to Bermuda and ended up with cruises to Canada and Florida. Both of which had they booked based on the destinations would have been much cheaper and they should be compensated the difference in cost. I don't think that is being negative at all!
Very well said.

(But you obviously haven't read your cruise contract. NCL is under no obligation to take you anywhere. We all just need to be happy we're on the ship. SMH. :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

They chose to cruise during hurricane season. This is what insurance is all about. You cover your costs.

Are your directing your post at me as the OP thread starter? If so, why?

My apologies,Formula 280SS.

This is such a long thread 25 pages, that I mistakenly thought Wyoming 2010 was the OP.

I was responding to that poster’s comments about the choice of ports instead of Bermuda and that the poster came near to having heat stroke on the private island.

We were on the re-routed Dawn cruise and ended up in Canada. Speaking solely on that as a comparison, that itinerary is comparable price-wise which surprised me. As I said on my review thread, I would likely have felt cheated financially if we ended up in FL/Bahamas. So I do feel for folks in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We were on the re-routed Dawn cruise and ended up in Canada. Speaking solely on that as a comparison, that itinerary is comparable price-wise which surprised me. As I said on my review thread, I would likely have felt cheated financially if we ended up in FL/Bahamas. So I do feel for folks in that regard.

Thank you for pointing this out. I keep reading how the Bermuda cruise costs so much more ( mainly by the rerouted Escape folks) but it simply isn’t true. Compare two cruises next April, one goes to Cape Canaveral, GSC, and Nassau. The following week it goes to Bermuda. I priced out an aft balcony since that is what I book, and the difference is $50.

I was on this cruise and I agree completely with those who feel NCL has not provided good customer service. I also think that some here are misinterpreting what people are saying. No one is arguing we should have sailed into the hurricane or that NCL should have put anyone at risk. I'm also aware that they are under no legal obligation to do anything.

But lets look at this another way. For my girlfriend and I, this was our first cruise. We enjoyed the ship itself, but like a number of people have said here, we felt completely cheated ending up in Florida (and not a nice part of Florida), and then NCL's private island for about 2 hours (the tenders took forever) before heading home. My girlfriend and I are both young and will do a lot more cruising in the future, probably another 30 or 40 years ahead of us after this initial cruise. How many people in our situation do you think would continue to sail with NCL after they offered nothing beyond the text written in the contract, while we know other lines, like RCI, offered really nice customer-centric compensation to make up for the itineraries? For those arguing about this from a business standpoint, how can you possibly argue that's good business and good for customer retention? All it's good for is sending couples like my girlfriend and I to RCI or other competitors who will give you some form of compensation when the itinerary is jokingly bad.

Anyway, we've made the decision that we won't be sailing with NCL ever again if they don't decide to offer some remedy. Again, I realize they are under no obligation to do so, but they'll certainly be losing tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of dollars in LTV from my girlfriend and I if they don't.

Thank you for pointing this out. I keep reading how the Bermuda cruise costs so much more ( mainly by the rerouted Escape folks) but it simply isn’t true. Compare two cruises next April, one goes to Cape Canaveral, GSC, and Nassau. The following week it goes to Bermuda. I priced out an aft balcony since that is what I book, and the difference is $50.
I feel like people are comparing what they paid vs what rates are being offered *now* for those itineraries, IE super last minute deals, and that's not necessarily a fair comparison.

I would actually deliberately book the Canada itinerary again. It was lovely.

I was on this cruise and I agree completely with those who feel NCL has not provided good customer service. I also think that some here are misinterpreting what people are saying. No one is arguing we should have sailed into the hurricane or that NCL should have put anyone at risk. I'm also aware that they are under no legal obligation to do anything.

I do feel for people on your cruise because I've priced both Bermuda and FL/Bahamas cruises and the Bermuda cruises can be quite a bit more expensive -- the key word being "can," because some last-minute fares can be quite good on both itineraries. IMO, it would be a nice goodwill gesture on NCL's part to offer at least something, though the best that may happen, I think, will be something like a $100 future OBC.

Also, for any customers NCL looses because of their response to this cruise, there will be plenty more new cruisers who a.) will not know/care that something like that happened previously and b.) will sail with NCL because they price compare and can get the drinks/dining/shore excursion/WiFi included in their fare. Or there will be people like us who have cruised different lines and choose to return to NCL because of the enjoyable experiences we've had on previous cruises, and we understand the possibility of what may happen if we were to sail during hurricane season (which we'll be doing in a few weeks and have done in the past). We've had itinerary changes after final payment and had to roll with what was given, and in the end, we had a great time despite being disappointed that we couldn't change plans.

Last but not least, NCL is not RCCL or Carnival or Princess or any other company and can choose to have the policies they have. Will they lose customers because of those policies? Yes. They'll also gain customers because of those same policies. What's to say the same thing wouldn't happen on an RCCL cruise you're slated to be on and RCCL doesn't offer anything for that cruise despite offering something in the past? After all, they aren't obligated to either. It's up to you as the cruiser to figure out what works or doesn't work for you as far as which companies you're willing to give hard-earned money to. There are lots of cruise lines out there to check out in order to figure that out, so I hope you - and all the others who were disappointed with the itinerary change and saying they won't sail NCL again if something isn't offered - find one that works for you.

We were on this cruise and we had a great time. We had no complaints about the service, our cabin steward was just fantastic and all the other crew we interacted with were upbeat, cheerful and fun. The ship itself is great, and the food pretty good overall. We were very appreciative of the nice ride and sunny weather that captain provided. The entertainment was also terrific especially Choir of Men and Howl at the Moon. That said it was a disappointing to miss our 3 days in Bermuda which was the reason we chose this sailing.

I don't think anyone is asking for a refund but a little discount or OBC on a future booking would be nice. What strikes me as odd is NCL's attitude. A career in business has taught me the value of customer retention. It's a 10 to 1 ratio in the cost of luring a new customer vs. retaining a loyal one. So crossing their arms and telling us "good day sir" just seems like bad business.

I do feel for people on your cruise because I've priced both Bermuda and FL/Bahamas cruises and the Bermuda cruises can be quite a bit more expensive -- the key word being "can," because some last-minute fares can be quite good on both itineraries. IMO, it would be a nice goodwill gesture on NCL's part to offer at least something, though the best that may happen, I think, will be something like a $100 future OBC.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but the problem for me is Norwegian hasn't even come close to giving the $100 OBC. Or anything. I wasn't expecting any kind of crazy refund. Heck, they could have even turned it into an upsell opportunity, "sorry you didn't get to go to Bermuda, but here, take 25% off a future cruise!" just to acknowledge in some way that they were kind of interested in keeping us as customers. And sure, NCL has different benefits compared to other cruise lines, but it's difficult to imagine any other cruise line offering this level of lack of customer service in an event like this. They cancelled one out of the two excursions we had planned in GSC because "not enough people signed up for it." When that happened, they showed the same level of customer service to us. I don't even think the note included an apology. That's after we booked the excursion, had it confirmed, and we're planning our whole day around it. They told us less than 24 hours before. "Your excursion is cancelled, you'll get a refund." But just from my observation, this company seems to be more about immediate profit than long-term customer satisfaction. Possibly lose customer(s) instead of run a parasailing excursion at maybe a slight loss for the day? On a cruise with an already very weak itinerary? Seems extremely short sighted. If I was a shareholder stuff like this would concern me.

I don't think anyone is asking for a refund but a little discount or OBC on a future booking would be nice. What strikes me as odd is NCL's attitude. A career in business has taught me the value of customer retention. It's a 10 to 1 ratio in the cost of luring a new customer vs. retaining a loyal one. So crossing their arms and telling us "good day sir" just seems like bad business.

I'm in the exact same boat (pun intended haha). We enjoyed the cruise, but it just doesn't seem NCL values us as customers so I wouldn't feel right paying them my hard earned $ in the future. Like you said, it's so incredibly valuable for them to retain customers. There's absolutely no way it was a sound business decision to give nothing. Impossible. Like I said above, even as an upsell tool, "discount on a future cruise" or some kind of OBC would have even led to more profit. And now instead they are going to lose customers over it. The LTV of even an individual customer likely almost completely outweighs giving out some kind of OBC to everyone. All they had to do was offer something as a show of good faith to retain me, but they chose not to as of now, so it is what it is but I don't think we'll be back.

Edited by dfoxinator

If you go to an expensive restaurant and order the lobster, but they are out of it you order the steak instead. It's still a really nice meal and is comparable in price. If you go to the same expensive restaurant and are served a cheeseburger for the same price as lobster or steak it doesn't feel like you got your money's worth. You still enjoyed the meal and the people you were with, but feel you should at least be compensated for the difference in price.

My apologies,Formula 280SS.

This is such a long thread 25 pages, that I mistakenly thought Wyoming 2010 was the OP.

I was responding to that poster’s comments about the choice of ports instead of Bermuda and that the poster came near to having heat stroke on the private island.

MJS, ok, thanks.

With over 4,000 passengers there will different experiences on any cruise; as well as the same experiences but different opinions and perspectives.

So, given everyone has the absolute right to express such, not a problem at to read. My wife and I actually continue to follow the threads and we've written our review (still not posted by CC yet).

Some recent issues and our personal commentary ~

1. Bermuda ~ Told we should have know better for booking during hurricane season. Response ~ We should have purchased the top insurance package; our bad. Re: cruising during hurricane season, of note, the entire cruise industry is booked.

2. FL and GSC is not Bermuda ~ As told. Response ~ Yeah, not even close. Really, really wanted to go to Bermuda for our 2nd visit there. Almost cancelled with wife's anxiety about bad seas. Ultimately went and, after leaving the NY coast, had GREAT WEATHER, GREAT SEAS, GREAT FOOD, GREAT ENTERTAINMENT and GREAT SERVICE. All of such is our experience and our opinion and perspective; alternate ones' are certainly understandable.

3. NOW, RE: NCL "no credit" ~ As told. Actually, nNone at all. My wife believes THAT REQUEST or BEING UNHAPPY ABOUT IT, IS REASONABLE. It's not a big deal to us (and that is not a hit against anyone, but what we paid for a Spa Balcony less the value of 1 the Spa for the week, 2 the UBP for the week and 3 the Specialty Dining for almost the whole week, we almost paid nothing), but it is to A LOT OF PASSENGERS who are just beginning to cruise or don't cruise often and each cruise is of utmost importance, and similar factors. We are just so very fortunate to now cruise quite often (since 2008 in expanded signature below), after completing 3 sons' worth of College, Graduate School and 1 Law Schools :');p). But we totally support the general expectation that NCL should have done 'something, even if symbolic or token (PR alone worth it).

Again, thanks for all of the input.

Our biggest take (learned), buy the best cruise insurance that allows cancellation for hurricane season.

Will certainly continue to cruise NCL.

Our last cruise was the Bahamas route on the Gem, booked more than a year in advance. We were originally booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda, but I had concerns about the World Cup being going on, so switched, even though we’ve done the Bahamas itinerary four times already. There wasn’t a big price difference. New England/Canada is probably the priciest itinerary out of this area in the fall, if diverted there should passengers be charged more?

Regarding the comments about the comparative prices -- the Friday before we left, right after we received word that we were not going to Bermuda, I did a dummy reservation for that itinerary next month and compared it to what we paid for Bermuda -- there was a $160 difference each -- meaning we paid $320 more for our cruise and no refund of port fees for Nassau. That is for stateroom only. That does not count the difference in port fees, nor the fact we weren't reimbursed for the port fees in Nassau! If you add those fees, I'm guessing we paid closer to $400 or so more for this cruise than it was worth. :( It may not seem like a lot to others, but to us it equals another cruise deposit!

Edited by Wyoming2010

I’m actually surprised at not refunding the port fees, were they actually charged? Were Bermuda’s removed? I’ve never heard of port fees not being refunded.

I agree. I can't imagine the justification for not refunding the difference in port fees. I can accept the lack of OBC or future credit, but I think they are obligated to refund the port fees for missed ports. I am almost positive I remember reading that in the contract.

Interesting that you mentioned refunding port fees if missed, I don’t recall ever being refunded and we’ve missed several ports over the past few years. I guess I need to be more observant in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were your missed ports replaced with any others?

The first full day of the cruise, we received $30 each of refundable onboard credit. When I inquired, I was told it was for the Bermuda port fees. When they cancelled Nassau several days later and I inquired when we'd get port fees back, they flat out said we wouldn't!

Funny that I did speak with someone who specializes in cruise line law and he said (1) it is illegal if they don't return the fees and (2) NCL has the worst reputation in the cruise industry for coming through in situations like this and showing good customer care. So that explains a lot!

Interesting that you mentioned refunding port fees if missed, I don’t recall ever being refunded and we’ve missed several ports over the past few years. I guess I need to be more observant in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wouldnt the port fees be applied to the new ports?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I’m actually surprised at not refunding the port fees, were they actually charged? Were Bermuda’s removed? I’ve never heard of port fees not being refunded.

I was on this sailing and received a credit of $30 per person for the change in port fees for the altered itinerary.