Travel insurance yes or no

Tntt

So you've been lucky so far - while many thousands of others haven't.

In contrast...I guess health and safety do matter to at least some folks.

You misinterpreted the comment - many people have ended up being unfortunate without insurance only to have the need for medical, evacuation, and other circumstances requiring payment out of their pockets...whereas insurance would have covered those costs. There are literally hundreds and maybe thousands of online posts who "learned the hard way" just how important insurance can be to mitigate the risks of unanticipated expenses from illness, injury, disease, accidents, and other misfortunes.

It only takes one such bad experience to "learn the hard way".

Some folks are proactive and avoid those risks...by getting travel insurance.

Count me as one of those folks for whom health and safety matter!

Edited by time4u2go

we are sailing Symphony on a 4 day cruise in 2019, due to such a short cruise I am debating rather or not I need to purchase royal caribbeans cruise insurance or purchase travel insurance through 3rd party or just for go it since it is short cruise. Does anyone else buy travel insurance through royal or do you just travel with out it? Please give me your thoughts....

We never travel without insurance. Never any guarantees. I have found doing my own insurance through travel guard is for the most part a little cheaper. Totally depends. But recommend you compare travel guard and CSA, easy to do online.

Since we travel a lot we get an annual policy through GeoBlue that covers medical and evacuation. We rely on our credit card (Costco Visa) for trip interruption and cancellation. It usually does not cover 100% of what we paid for the trip but it is sufficient to take the sting out if we had to use it.

Just a quick caution here, for anyone that uses CostCo CitiCard for interruption and cancellation. Read the fine print and look for what is NOT there: they do not cover "financial insolvency of travel provider". I never noticed this, and probably would have thought it was a small thing, but that was before Sinorama Vacances had their license pulled by Quebec and British Columbia for fraud.

$9000 lesson in reading! Our Chase Sapphire card would have covered. CitiCard said "That's nice; we're not Chase Sapphire."

Edited by crystalspin

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, Tntt said:

we are sailing Symphony on a 4 day cruise in 2019, due to such a short cruise I am debating rather or not I need to purchase royal caribbeans cruise insurance or purchase travel insurance through 3rd party or just for go it since it is short cruise. Does anyone else buy travel insurance through royal or do you just travel with out it? Please give me your thoughts....

On 9/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, boatclub1 said:

Hello....I never travel without Travel Insurance, I buy the extra insuance with the cruise line. I just came off the Anthem of the Seas this past August 2018. There was 4 Medical Evac's on the ship that I know of. We watched one person being taken off the ship by a medical helicopter - rumor had it that medical helicopter ride was $36,000 !! Hope they had the extra travel insurance.

L~NY

Hello....I never travel without Travel Insurance, I buy the extra insuance with the cruise line. I just came off the Anthem of the Seas this past August 2018. There was 4 Medical Evac's on the ship that I know of. We watched one person being taken off the ship by a medical helicopter - rumor had it that medical helicopter ride was $36,000 !! Hope they had the extra travel insurance.

L~NY

L~NY

We never cruise without insurance.  Brother who lives in Colorado fell over a railing in January in Germany.  Broke leg, hip, shoulder,  hand. Did not have insurance. Cost over $90,000 when all was said and done.  Two surgeries and two months in a German rehab center.  Biggest expense was getting back to CO. 

Even  on a four day cruise one could have an accident right on the pier.   Our Chase MileagePlus card covers all th basic components of travel except for medical and evacuation.  We are going on a 12 night cruise to the med in four days.  Cost $175 for and unlimited policy for medical treatments and emergencies evacuation.   

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, fredflint said:

Read this article here 3 day cruise to the bahamas you can customize insurance to cover what you need.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/medical-emergency-leaves-couple-cruise-stranded-bahamas-hospital-bills-pile-185216471.html

Probably a good time for another insurance post. Lol. 

It's simple. Yes, you should always be insured against catastrophe. You shouldn't travel without a passport either. 

Travelers first need to review their health insurance as it may already cover international expenses, but probably not evac.  However, many travelers already have evac with certain credit cards, so review that, too.  In fact, some cards even offer trip cancelation. If you don't have evac but have health, then an evac specific policy can be purchased for like $79 to cover a whole family for a year. 

Comprehensive insurance with trip cancelation is designed for people who are bad at math.  But otherwise, never travel without evac and medical and be prepared with phone numbers and know what is required of you to file a claim. For example, must have paid for trip with specific credit card...