Cruise Critic Community

We are cruising UK mid to late Sept and are prepared for rain. Should we be preparing for sprinkles or torrential floods? Any need for rain boots? Also, I'm thinking it will likely be around 18C or so. Any chance of a heat wave this time of year?

you could check the ports a week before you go & throw in any things you may need if the weather should turn nasty

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/london/ec4a-2/daily-weather-forecast/328328?day=6

I always pack a rain jacket with a hood & mitts

This year the weather is not normal conditions ..who would have thought Toronto would be 31 C in Sept

I never wear rain boots and occasionally there are torrential downpours but mainly we have rainy showers. The temperature will depend on where you are but in September think changeable. We can get good weather at this time of year. Yesterday we had drizzle all day long, today it's been warm (19) with blue skies and sunny spells

So, it sounds like UK weather is as unpredictable as Toronto! Will later and prepare for everything ...maybe even shorts? Will plan to check forecast for sure!

Anything is possible with UK weather, however late September is usually a good time of the year with pleasant temperatures around 15-18°C but rain is always possible. A good way to check is the BBC website on weather and check the ports to visit, this will give indication for 14 days in advance.

So, it sounds like UK weather is as unpredictable as Toronto! Will later and prepare for everything ...maybe even shorts? Will plan to check forecast for sure! ��

I walked my dog today in a short-sleeved top and cotton trousers. No shorts for me - but maybe further South you might

Should we be preparing for sprinkles or torrential floods? Any need for rain boots?
Sprinkles: only on days with a "y" in them.

Torrential floods necessitating rain boots: in all seriousness, not very likely at any time of the year. If you're in urban areas and the weather turns out to be unusually wet like this, then you'd just head for shelter, like the locals do.

Also, I'm thinking it will likely be around 18C or so. Any chance of a heat wave this time of year?
Yes, always. Although it partly depends on what you mean by "heat wave", but the phenomenon of an Indian summer in the second half of September is too frequent to be mere fluke. However, they won't be temperatures like we had in July and August this year.

A good way to check is the BBC website on weather and check the ports to visit, this will give indication for 14 days in advance.
However, bear in mind that forecasts for that far ahead tend to be very unreliable.

I was looking at the forecast for a particular day in August this year from as soon as it came onto the forecast horizon. A lot of different things were predicted for that day at various times, including heavy rain and baking heat. In the end, it was a pleasantly warm and partly cloudy day.

at least better than last bank holiday weekend end August with lots of steady rain
And this last weekend in London was very warm and sunny again with temperatures in the mid-20s.

You won’t need rain boots, but I do find lightweight trainer type walking shoes with Goretex or similar very useful. Comfortable for all the walking around, and doesn’t matter if you get caught out in a shower or too.

After our sweltering summer, it’s definitely getting cooler, especially early and later in the day. However I’ve been down to shirtsleeves at midday, and needed my lightweight down filled jacket first thing, so be prepared. I’ve given up on umbrellas, it can get windy on the coast, so rely on a lightweight foldable waterproof jacket which will keep both the wind and rain out, over whatever layers are comfortable.

You will likely find a difference between the north and south of the UK - it may be a small country but often can be subjected to different weather conditions. The north west tends to be wetter overall.

Shoes are fine in built up areas as the pavements are usually well drained - but make sure your shoes are waterproof. Personally I am usually still in sandals through much of September, unless rain is forecast.

We didn't need any heavy duty rain gear this past week. The weather was gorgeous. We had a couple of light showers and one heavier rain one night walking back to our hotel from dinner.