Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Florence

It’s looking like the Carolinas are going to be affected. So now I will prepare in Myrtle beach. Then hope we will get on the ship on Sunday the 16th. Then who knows where we will end up with the other storm looking like it will head to the eastern Caribbean which we are supposed to go to. So much uncertainty. Already have excursions booked. Might have to start looking into the western excursions just Incase.

As of now our itinerary is supposed to be:

Sunday the 16 Port Canaveral

Monday the 17 Nassau Bahamas

Tuesday the 18 sea day

Wednesday 19 st. Thomas

Thursday 20 st Maarten

Friday the 21st at sea

Saturday the 22 at sea

Monday the 23 Port Canaveral.

I am quite sure Florence will be well clear of Port Canaveral as of Sunday 9/16 and probably up in New England or farther. The Carolinas will be dealing with it Thursday-Friday - then further north Saturday-Sunday.

The bigger question is the developing two storms off the Cape Verde Islands right now. Development is expected, but they will encounter more hostile conditions in about 5 days. Their path looks to be further south than Florence which could be a Bahamas/Florida threat (or even Caribbean.) Much too soon to even predict.

As of 11am EDT Friday: Florence weakening has ended; Strengthening is now expected and a return to at least Category 3. The path is now well south of, and passing by, Bermuda. I fully believe Bermuda will have little impact now- wind and waves which may not even reach tropical depression level! Heavy surf, windy, and bands of rain.

The Carolinas, Mid-Atlantic, and even the Northeast need to start preparations...Thursday through Saturday next week.

Pelican,

We are scheduled to leave on a 5 night cruise to Bermuda tomorrow out of Baltimore. Although you said that Bermuda appears to be out of the direct strike from Florence, can you speculate to what the waves will be like and what will happen if hurricane does hit near the mid-Atlantic coast and we are prevented from getting back into the port. Thank you for your opinion and insight. Royal Caribbean has said nothing and when I call they reassure me that everything is fine and ask if I want to buy a drink package! 😳

It’s looking like the Carolinas are going to be affected. So now I will prepare in Myrtle beach. Then hope we will get on the ship on Sunday the 16th. Then who knows where we will end up with the other storm looking like it will head to the eastern Caribbean which we are supposed to go to. So much uncertainty. Already have excursions booked. Might have to start looking into the western excursions just Incase.

As of now our itinerary is supposed to be:

Sunday the 16 Port Canaveral

Monday the 17 Nassau Bahamas

Tuesday the 18 sea day

Wednesday 19 st. Thomas

Thursday 20 st Maarten

Friday the 21st at sea

Saturday the 22 at sea

Monday the 23 Port Canaveral.

Oh boy

HOPEFULLY it'll go as the models that Mr P Bill are providing show and y'all will have a great cruise!

I'm still sweating it on ours though with what looks to be following.

The additional problem seems to be what's supposed to happen here in SC.

I know I'm a big fat baby, but I honestly don't know if I've got ANOTHER flood left in me.

Boating in and out to see the water rising every day while more and more gets destroyed is crazy...

Although I guess it's best to always remember ICBW.

Again I'll reiterate that I'm most thankful for the info the OP provides here. It's truly a Blessing to have someone to show us what the oftentimes confusing weather models actually mean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Forums mobile app

Leaving from NJ on the Anthem to Bermuda Saturday the 15th... If this hurricane travels up the coast I'm worried it will be cancelled.

Leaving from NJ on the Anthem to Bermuda Saturday the 15th... If this hurricane travels up the coast I'm worried it will be cancelled.

Unless it is in NJ on Saturday... my bet would be the ship sails... but may head to New England instead of Bermuda. You might consider packing layers.... plus a hoodie... just in case you end up in a colder climate. After what happened to Anthem during a Feb cruise... they will likely want to avoid storm... I am assuming the storm will head north and not hit New England... but still a lot of time left... we are heading out of Florida Sept 28... so I am worried about the storms that follow. We sailed just after Irma hit... they did not cancel that cruise..... as many as 500 missed the sailing... we lucked out with a last minute flight...vs the 14 hour drive we had planned on.

I have been watching Florence with interest as we have a flight from DC to NYC, on Wednesday, to board a sailing up to Quebec City on Thursday. Hopefully we can stay ahead of it and not be impacted. Thanks for starting this thread PelicanBill!

Pelican,

We are scheduled to leave on a 5 night cruise to Bermuda tomorrow out of Baltimore. Although you said that Bermuda appears to be out of the direct strike from Florence, can you speculate to what the waves will be like and what will happen if hurricane does hit near the mid-Atlantic coast and we are prevented from getting back into the port. Thank you for your opinion and insight. Royal Caribbean has said nothing and when I call they reassure me that everything is fine and ask if I want to buy a drink package! 😳

The drink package will make it all better guaranteed! Well... I thought I read that the Baltimore sailing was going to be rerouted but had not yet announced where... please do report back if you hear something. I see two scenarios. You could go ahead to sea and try to get in to Bermuda, and there is a good chance that is possible now that the storm is so far south. You would circle back behind the storm. Or, you could sail south with plenty of time to reach the Bahamas, than return after the storm passes.

But I think Florence will be a problem for a Thursday return to Baltimore and you are very likely to get an extra day. Maybe two. 7 days for the price of 5? Pack extra clothes and meds and go for the drink package.

I have been watching Florence with interest as we have a flight from DC to NYC, on Wednesday, to board a sailing up to Quebec City on Thursday. Hopefully we can stay ahead of it and not be impacted. Thanks for starting this thread PelicanBill!

You're welcome! Quite sure your flight and cruise are good... possible you will get tropical depression rain and wind in Quebec or on the way!

The storm could be passing near NYC about that time... just as one was doing 2 years ago in October as I boarded NCL Breakaway. We ended up waiting one night in NYC before departing to let it pass. I think it is possible you will be in a similar situation. Storms usually travel very fast and get swept up to the Canadian Maritimes. I doubt they would need to cancel - and they try very hard not to cancel cruises.

Got our note from Carnival this afternoon that our Sunday sailing to Bermuda has been changed to the Caribbean. I'm a bit sad about it of course, as they are now going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. I just went there last year and was really looking forward to Bermuda. However, they are offering 25% off for our next cruise and not much I can do. I'm just glad we are still sailing.

Bill - any thoughts on the 11pm update? Looks like she's forecasting further south than previous updates.

(I'm on the 9/9 Escape to Bermuda which was changed to Florida/Bahamas, which I'm secretly hoping could be changed back to a Bermuda itinerary)

John

I wish the cruises would reconsider as Bermuda seems to be quite safe, although can't be 100% certain until Sunday.

Florence continues on track, although moving slowly now, faster later, so the path could change as it speeds up. But, The coast of SC needs to be very concerned and ready to evacuate as it is forecast to be Cat 3 and come in THURSDAY now. Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head - all in the potential impact area.

I think It would move inland and sweep up toward PA and western NY (me!) quickly afterward if the forecast holds. A LOT of rain inland Friday and Saturday. I think the coastal areas (NYC, New England) are less likely to see effects now. Hard to tell yet but that's my prediction.

Bermuda isn’t safe just not in direct line of the storm. Still expecting massive swells, rip currents etc that could endanger lives. I very much doubt ncl will reconsider. The only change I foresee for escape is them returning a day early from the Bahamas if Florence lingers for the return journey or potentially going north tomorrow - I doubt it though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Florence has become more cooperative with the forecasters and models the last few days so I have higher confidence in what we see. Slow speed has delayed landfall predictions to 2AM Friday, and the models are well aligned so the forecast is for landfall just north of the SC/NC border. As a Cat 3 or even 4 hurricane. Not good. Wilmington, NC is on that path, and all beaches north through Outer Banks are in extreme danger. Do not be surprised if the path continues to shift further north. That would spare Wilmingtom from the worst and increase dangers to Jacksonville NC and the Outer Banks.

Bermuda isn’t safe just not in direct line of the storm. Still expecting massive swells, rip currents etc that could endanger lives. I very much doubt ncl will reconsider. The only change I foresee for escape is them returning a day early from the Bahamas if Florence lingers for the return journey or potentially going north tomorrow - I doubt it though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will show you why I consider Bermuda safe, barring a truly odd sudden turn NW or N. Depression level winds, shown by the dark green outline, are so far south that wind and waves will not be a danger to Bermuda. They will have "high surf" warnings along their beaches. The port will be open, and the weather may have some rain bands, but it is going to be quite safe all around and on the sailing path between NYC and Bermuda for some time - perhaps with no interference to shipping if Florences moves inland.

AL062018lts.gif?637469419

Perhaps the reason for going to Bahamas instead of Bermuda isn't that one is safer than the other... but perhaps if Bermuda is hit with high surf, wind and rain.... makes for a lousy vacation.... not sure ferry would operate (at least not comfortably).. Also might impact snorkling, diving, boating and beach activites.... if you go out of influence of Florence you can still do these activities and have the sun. Not as nice a destination but perhaps a better alternative if the weather is significantly better... I guess the question is will it be better there

Although.... looking at Bermuda webcam.... looks like a fairly nice day there on Monday.

Monday morning after 11am NHC update. Florence is behaving reliably to models and forecasts until landfall, after that, we have a lot of speculation.

First landfall: Time to rush preparations for the coast. Tropical storm force winds can be expected from Savannah to the lower Outer Banks. Hurricane force winds any where from Charleston SC to Wilmington SC, and inland to Columbia! Effects to be felt all day Thursday starting at dawn through late Friday. If there is anything that keeps varying it is the landfall time, now predicted to be around 8pm Thursday.

After landfall there is only speculation. The interference from the ridge in the Ohio Valley will interact with Florence, and there are two popular scenarios: One is to follow a Hazel-like path up into WV, Western PA or along the OH border, into Western NY and Toronto, then out the Canadian Maritimes. The other scenario is a sharper turn and back NE over VA, DE, NJ, NYC, CN, MA and out over Nova Scotia or to sea.

Please do report any further cruise itinerary impacts. Hoping for the best for those in the path.

Looks like Florence will have an effect on my drive to Port Canaveral this weekend. I'm betting I'll be taking the western route.

netweekend.jpg

SC Governor has ordered mandatory coastal evacuations. Starting noon Tuesday the evacuation routes be in use, meaning 26, 501, 587 will be westbound only. Here in Charlotte expecting TS level wind/rain event. An alternative driving route to Fla might be I-77 to I-85 in Charlotte to I-75 in Atlanta south to Fla. In 2016 Matthew dumped a ton of rain that caused extensive flooding as far inland as Columbia. As I recall, sections of I-26, I-77 and even I-95 were closed for a time even after Matthew had passed.

Hi there - We're scheduled to cruise this upcoming Saturday, September 15th out of Bayonne NJ on Anthem of the Seas with RC. I'm very nervous regarding the weather & rough seas. This is our first cruise, so I'm not well versed with the protocol, but I've heard it's very rare cruise lines cancel their itinerary entirely. Anyone particularly savvy with the track of this storm? In my mind, if it's hitting NC and SC on Thursday, then perhaps the waters will be a little more settled 2 days later? I really don't know much, and was hoping some seasoned cruisers could provide guidance :) Best case scenario is we re-route North, but I'm honestly not sure how Hurricane Florence will affect that as well!

Try checking out National Hurricane center all the storms are listed there. Just looked at the 5 pm run Florence looks to make landfall Thursday evening somewhere in South Carolina or North Carolina. Nhc has it continuing inland. Right now New Jersey is outside the prediction cone. If I had to guess it looks like you’ll make your sailing where you’ll be going is anybody’s guess right now. There probably is someone on here that can read those maps better then me I’m sure they’ll chime in also. The cruise line will let you know if there is a change to your intenery. Good luck try not to stress to much.

Leaving out of Galveston on Sunday the 16th headed to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Isaac a concern? TIA, I've been reading this site daily for updates!