Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Florence

Leaving out of Galveston on Sunday the 16th headed to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Isaac a concern? TIA, I've been reading this site daily

There’s a new disturbance in the gulf that NHC is watching 5 day forcast has it moving towards Texas with a 50% chance of development.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

Oh boy :( thank you for the update. We'll keep an eye out and hope we don't get cancelled :( We fly into Houston on Saturday from Boston, ship is supposed to leave on Sunday. I really really hope it doesn't get cancelled. I've never had that happen before and most of our cruises are Aug-Oct. Fingers crossed!!! Thank you!!!

Oh boy :( thank you for the update. We'll keep an eye out and hope we don't get cancelled :( We fly into Houston on Saturday from Boston, ship is supposed to leave on Sunday. I really really hope it doesn't get cancelled. I've never had that happen before and most of our cruises are Aug-Oct. Fingers crossed!!! Thank you!!!

We did one a couple years ago outta Galveston great time. The flight from Logan was a bit long but that’s the way it goes. Hope everything works out for you. :)

We have separate threads for Isaac, and developing storms.. .but briefly:

Keep an eye on the NHC "5 day outlook" on that disturbance heading toward the Texas coast. A good chance of a storm coming that way in about 5 days... give or take.

So for the cruise leaving Galveston Sunday... double concern for the disturbance and whatever Isaac does... sorry I can't see any more clearly. Texas is already dealing with a lot of water from the last system, hope it drains before the next. The cruise port was in the news as people waded through flooded streets to get to the ship! And I still remember the pictures of that port under water from some years ago.

Isaac:

The good news on Tuesday is Isaac has weakened, and is forecast to stay no worse than a Tropical Storm and keep moving west. That will keep it out of the way for the next 5 days. Could be a concern for Jamaica or points farther west but I will be surprised if it holds together that far. If it does, the models are being of no help. Perhaps it will start to turn and cross Jamaica and Cuba. Maybe not. Stay tuned.

Back to Florence. Thanks to all of you contributing news. Huge evacuation underway. I-26 one way all the way to Columbia SC!

The only changes from yesterday are:

- Back to 2am Friday landfall

- Storm strengthened from TS to Cat 4 in record time

- Possible Cat 5 but still forecast Cat 4 at landfall

- Path shifted slightly north so Wilmington and Lower Outer Banks in crosshairs

Still worried about the storm stalling once inland and dumping 2 feet of rain. Still very uncertain as to path after stalling. Models diverge wildly. New thinking suggests a W turn and over western NC and then NW perhaps. Very hard to say.

Raleigh, Durham, and Charlottsville could all see Tropical Storm force wind and rain.

Back to Florence. Thanks to all of you contributing news. Huge evacuation underway. I-26 one way all the way to Columbia SC!

The only changes from yesterday are:

- Back to 2am Friday landfall

- Storm strengthened from TS to Cat 4 in record time

- Possible Cat 5 but still forecast Cat 4 at landfall

- Path shifted slightly north so Wilmington and Lower Outer Banks in crosshairs

Still worried about the storm stalling once inland and dumping 2 feet of rain. Still very uncertain as to path after stalling. Models diverge wildly. New thinking suggests a W turn and over western NC and then NW perhaps. Very hard to say.

Raleigh, Durham, and Charlottsville could all see Tropical Storm force wind and rain.

In the event that you meant Charlotte, NC, rather than Charlottesville, VA, we are anticipating TS level wind and rain here.

day.

After landfall there is only speculation. The interference from the ridge in the Ohio Valley will interact with Florence, and there are two popular scenarios: One is to follow a Hazel-like path up into WV, Western PA or along the OH border, into Western NY and Toronto, then out the Canadian Maritimes. The other scenario is a sharper turn and back NE over VA, DE, NJ, NYC, CN, MA and out over Nova Scotia or to sea.

Please do report any further cruise itinerary impacts. Hoping for the best for those in the path.

I'm hoping for the latter as I am now planning on driving south west of the Appalachians. I may see some rain on my I75 route, but that isn't too unusual. I could divert as far west as Louisville/Nashville if needed. Hoping to drive as far as Valdosta Saturday.

I'm hoping for the latter as I am now planning on driving south west of the Appalachians. I may see some rain on my I75 route, but that isn't too unusual. I could divert as far west as Louisville/Nashville if needed. Hoping to drive as far as Valdosta Saturday.

The Appalachians often have a profound effect on the weather here in Charlotte. Storms from the West tend to hit them an slide NE towards VA. In this case they may well keep you safe staying on the west side.

So now the question of the day, given this is Cruise Critic - how and when is NCL Escape getting back to New York??

I'm currently onboard. No word yet from the captain.

We did one a couple years ago outta Galveston great time. The flight from Logan was a bit long but that’s the way it goes. Hope everything works out for you. :)

We left from Galveston last year too and loved it! And since we literally live next to the airport in Boston it's super convenient for us! Thanks! Fingers crossed!

So now the question of the day, given this is Cruise Critic - how and when is NCL Escape getting back to New York??

I'm currently onboard. No word yet from the captain.

Please keep us posted if you hear anything. I have friends getting on the 16th...hopefully.TIA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi there - We're scheduled to cruise this upcoming Saturday, September 15th out of Bayonne NJ on Anthem of the Seas with RC. I'm very nervous regarding the weather & rough seas. This is our first cruise, so I'm not well versed with the protocol, but I've heard it's very rare cruise lines cancel their itinerary entirely. Anyone particularly savvy with the track of this storm? In my mind, if it's hitting NC and SC on Thursday, then perhaps the waters will be a little more settled 2 days later? I really don't know much, and was hoping some seasoned cruisers could provide guidance :) Best case scenario is we re-route North, but I'm honestly not sure how Hurricane Florence will affect that as well!

Really rare to cancel a cruise. They may delay it a day or so... but cancel unlikely unless a direct hit. The biggest issue will be getting to the ship, particularly if flying. There could be delays.. If you are concerned about rough seas... consider getting the patch for sea sickness. Ask your doctor about this. Sometimes I think worrying about getting sick just makes it more likely that you will... so if you can put that behind you... one less thing to worry about. I always try to think of a backup plan... We currently are planning on flying to Florida on the 28th... a day before our cruise. My backup plan is that if air travel on the 27th has significant delays.. we may get up early on the 28th and drive to FLL instead of planning on flying. Travel insurance can help... but to be honest... I don't know if it covers you if your plan was to drive and you chose not to go. We had an issue after Irma... we were to cruise a few days after the storm... our plan was to drive... but I was concerned we would be driving south with millions of Floridians... so just before Irma hit.. I changed plans and we flew instead... got lucky because Delta's terminal was not damaged... American;s was and those flights were cancelled. Anyway... it worked out... but if I had flown American we still might have missed the cruise despite my efforts to make it.... 500 or so missed that cruise. Hang it there though... we have sailed many times during hurricane season and have never missed a cruise... a few ports on the itinerary but never the cruise

Hi there - We're scheduled to cruise this upcoming Saturday, September 15th out of Bayonne NJ on Anthem of the Seas with RC. I'm very nervous regarding the weather & rough seas. This is our first cruise, so I'm not well versed with the protocol, but I've heard it's very rare cruise lines cancel their itinerary entirely. Anyone particularly savvy with the track of this storm? In my mind, if it's hitting NC and SC on Thursday, then perhaps the waters will be a little more settled 2 days later? I really don't know much, and was hoping some seasoned cruisers could provide guidance :) Best case scenario is we re-route North, but I'm honestly not sure how Hurricane Florence will affect that as well!

You're on the 5 night to Bermuda and back? Florence is to make landfall Thu-Fri. Bermuda is about 650 miles out. As long as Florence didn't hit them I wouldn't expect a change.

Is it my imagination or is Florence getting bigger and faster?

Good question to lead off the update for Wednesday morning.

Yes, Florence has been growing and getting better organized. Speed is another thing. It was slow for a while, sped up the last 2 days, but will slow again. We knew it would stall soon, but thought it would be after landfall, but now it looks to stall just at or off the coast and begin shifting west and maybe a bit SW. That's why we want a wide path to be ready. South Carolina is now back in the heavily affected area. Landfall or close is still 2am Friday and it's looking to persist Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Speed is another thing. It was slow for a while, sped up the last 2 days, but will slow again. We knew it would stall soon, but thought it would be after landfall, but now it looks to stall just at or off the coast and begin shifting west and maybe a bit SW. That's why we want a wide path to be ready. South Carolina is now back in the heavily affected area. Landfall or close is still 2am Friday and it's looking to persist Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Sure is making my pre-cruise week interesting. I've already changed my drive that direction west by a couple hundred miles, now I might leave even earlier.

Really rare to cancel a cruise. They may delay it a day or so... but cancel unlikely unless a direct hit. The biggest issue will be getting to the ship, particularly if flying. There could be delays.. If you are concerned about rough seas... consider getting the patch for sea sickness. Ask your doctor about this. Sometimes I think worrying about getting sick just makes it more likely that you will... so if you can put that behind you... one less thing to worry about. I always try to think of a backup plan... We currently are planning on flying to Florida on the 28th... a day before our cruise. My backup plan is that if air travel on the 27th has significant delays.. we may get up early on the 28th and drive to FLL instead of planning on flying. Travel insurance can help... but to be honest... I don't know if it covers you if your plan was to drive and you chose not to go. We had an issue after Irma... we were to cruise a few days after the storm... our plan was to drive... but I was concerned we would be driving south with millions of Floridians... so just before Irma hit.. I changed plans and we flew instead... got lucky because Delta's terminal was not damaged... American;s was and those flights were cancelled. Anyway... it worked out... but if I had flown American we still might have missed the cruise despite my efforts to make it.... 500 or so missed that cruise. Hang it there though... we have sailed many times during hurricane season and have never missed a cruise... a few ports on the itinerary but never the cruise

Thank you for the reassurance!! We’re very fortunate to live close to the Bayonne port, so travel won’t be an issue. My biggest concern is the rough waters and knowing when/if to cancel. Of course family and friends are telling horror stories of traveling on choppy waters and being stuck inside all day. My boyfriend and I decided to wait until Friday to see if they re-route us up North. With trip insurance we get back 75% of what we paid if we choose to cancel- so could be an option if for some reason RC decides to sail to Bermuda still. Just seems like a waste of a trip if it’s going to be rough sailing out and rain the entire time we’re there. This all depends on how bad Florence turns out to be, so for now it’s a waiting game :)

You're on the 5 night to Bermuda and back? Florence is to make landfall Thu-Fri. Bermuda is about 650 miles out. As long as Florence didn't hit them I wouldn't expect a change.

Yes, 5 night cruise to Bermuda leaving this Saturday. Being it’s our first cruise, I wasn’t sure how seriously they took rough waters, and realistically how badly Florence would affect that travel path. I’m sure they’re very well skilled in handling these conditions - but of course hearing from the news how catastrophic this hurricane is, it has me worry about sailing out.

I think it's clear now that this weekend's New York Cruises are not going to be affected. The Florence remnants aren't heading that way soon, if at all, now that we see the blocking is so strong to keep it in the Carolinas. The surprise is that the north half of Georgia will now get a Tropical Depression.

We're looking at 3 days of buckets of rain per hour. And a beating for the coasts all along South and North Carolina.

I think it's clear now that this weekend's New York Cruises are not going to be affected. The Florence remnants aren't heading that way soon, if at all, now that we see the blocking is so strong to keep it in the Carolinas. The surprise is that the north half of Georgia will now get a Tropical Depression.

We're looking at 3 days of buckets of rain per hour. And a beating for the coasts all along South and North Carolina.

Ugh! Not just the coast. I live in the Piedmont section of NC, 200 miles inland and we're expecting up to 10 inches of rain and wind gusts up to 65 mph for 3 days. :(

Ugh! Not just the coast. I live in the Piedmont section of NC, 200 miles inland and we're expecting up to 10 inches of rain and wind gusts up to 65 mph for 3 days. :(

I'm in Charlotte, Jenn. From the reports I've seen we could get anything from what you said down to 30 MPH gusts and 3 - 5" inches of rain overall if Florence takes the southerly route. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I even have some golf buddies who think we'll still be playing Sunday - that's REALLY hoping for the best. :confused:

I'm in Charlotte, Jenn. From the reports I've seen we could get anything from what you said down to 30 MPH gusts and 3 - 5" inches of rain overall if Florence takes the southerly route. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I even have some golf buddies who think we'll still be playing Sunday - that's REALLY hoping for the best. :confused:

What are they saying for Charlotte now? I have a flight connecting there Saturday out of Roanoke, VA. It is supposed to leave for Fort Lauderdale at 11:40 from Charlotte

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay safe if you are in the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia... Glad the storm intensity is down, should reduce the storm surge certainly less wind. Expect travel to be disrupted all over. Looks like even I will see heavy rain next week here in Western NY.

Oh, and the landfall point is still Wilmington, NC after all that shifting around.

Edited by PelicanBill

Yes, 5 night cruise to Bermuda leaving this Saturday. Being it’s our first cruise, I wasn’t sure how seriously they took rough waters, and realistically how badly Florence would affect that travel path. I’m sure they’re very well skilled in handling these conditions - but of course hearing from the news how catastrophic this hurricane is, it has me worry about sailing out.

You have almost nothing to be worried about, Florence is nowhere near the path of your cruise. Sailing in the North Atlantic can be a bit rough at any time of year. Bring Bonine/meclazine tablets in case of nausea.

What are they saying for Charlotte now? I have a flight connecting there Saturday out of Roanoke, VA. It is supposed to leave for Fort Lauderdale at 11:40 from Charlotte

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's looking to be a rain/wind through the weekend. Not as severe as previously expected but still enough to cause some cancellations/delays at Charlotte-Douglas. Best keep up with your airline.

https://www.flightview.com/airport/CLT-Charlotte-NC/

It's looking to be a rain/wind through the weekend. Not as severe as previously expected but still enough to cause some cancellations/delays at Charlotte-Douglas. Best keep up with your airline.

https://www.flightview.com/airport/CLT-Charlotte-NC/

I keep checking my American Airlines app to see if the flights have changed and so far they have not... The weather doesn't look too bad on the weather.com hourly forecast as of now either so I might get lucky!