9-6-18 Thursday Weigh-In...Summer is Fading

Belle

Summer is over Fall soon to begin

Were the summer months a WIN for you?

A win can mean different thing to each of us because of what we did over the

SUMMER!

For some there was.... cruises, vacations, bbq's, summer foods, drinks, parties, company, kids, grandkids everyday at home. Some could of just worked, stayed home and said the HECK with it all!

Depends on how we dealt with all these things could depend what a WIN was for EACH OF US!

(1) You lost weight over the summer..To me that's a sure win

(2) Stayed the same over the summer didn't lose but didn't gain

(3) You gained a little but it could of been worse if you weren't trying most of the summer

So what was YOUR WIN? 1..2..3? How do you feel about it?

Now Fall will be here, then Winter and then the HOLIDAYS! Will YOU have a WIN on January 2nd counting

from now? Four Months.

WE all have to try to lose for the rest of 2018. RIGHT?

PS All these questions I'm giving you. Sounds like I'm a teacher, well the schools did start back.:D

Morning Belle! Thanks for the thought provoking questions:)

I lost the weight I'd gained last week, so back to the same weight from two weeks ago.

Normally I'd be thrilled with a 2.4 pound loss, but then I looked at my history and saw that I'm still up 2# from 6 months ago and 10# from 1 year ago. At least I'm still still down around 15# from when I started tracking 5 years ago.

I was feeling down about my lack of progress, so when you asked if this summer had been a win my first thought was NO:mad: After a little reflection though, I realize I can claim some wins:

-I'm becoming more proactive vs. reactive for my health

-even if the speed isn't there yet, I'm getting more consistent with my running (and can run now vs. only managing speed walking earlier)

-my hip and back pain is manageable and even seems to be improving

-survived 15X200 meter speed drills in last night's heat & humidity plus my shins/foot aren't any worse today:halo:

-clothes are starting to feel looser (except in the arms:() and energy levels are improving

How is everyone else winning?

I apparently have not had a good week as I seem to be up 2.2# .. it doesn't make sense, but my rings are very tight, so I truly believe that I'm retaining fluid.

We leave on a cruise tomorrow, where we are going is anyone's guess right now (should be Bermuda, perhaps) ... I will try to get my walking in.

Hope others had a better week ... Jan

PS great post Belle

Belle....great post! Thanks for getting to us all “think”!

Jan....have a great cruise “wherever”.

Down 1.6 this week. Was hoping for 2 as I really “focused”this week....but wasn’t “perfect”....so I will take the “down” and be happy about having something larger than a zero in front of the decimal.

Hope everyone else had a good week. Yes or no....it is another week so let’s “focus” as best we can.

Hello,

Jan, have a great cruise. Sorry you gained.

Siiergirl and pacruise, congrats on the losses.

I stayed the same. I thought I would lose but my birthday messed that up. Happy though that I managed not to gain.

Still happy with my 11 lbs. lost. Hopefully next week I will have one more loss. We leave on our 6 week cruise on the 9/17.

Diana

Well I stayed the same again. So for the summer I was a 2.

I just having a hard time getting the weight off. Glad not gaining but want loss's!

Especially with cruises coming up.

Jan..Bon Voyage! Is it because of weather not sure where your going?

pacruise..Yes there's different kinds of winning as you mention. Good Job!

Ski..Glad you had a loss but know we always want more.

Diana..Your a 1. Nice loss for the summer. Aren't we lucky we have longer cruises

coming up. I need to lose like you.

I'm glad I could get us all thinking. We all want to get thinner but we mainly need

this to get healthier and stay that way! So on to WEIGHT LOSS for the rest of the year!

Congrats on the losses this week!

I’ll leave it that I’m up this week.[emoji53] Back to old routine starting yesterday, so I trust it’ll be fixed soon.

Guess it’s too late to wish Jan a Bon Voyage. Hope her mystery trip is good.

When do you leave Belle? Do I need to start next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello all, Sounds like some ups, some downs, and some cruisin'!

2nd week in and finally hit ketosis. Down 2lbs to 215 this morning and feeling pretty good. Though I'm eating seemingly bad, calories are under 1600/day, less than 20g carbs, rest just fats and proteins. Getting more walking (and sweating) in at work - not voluntarily!

But I'd kill for a beer...

Hello all, Sounds like some ups, some downs, and some cruisin'!

2nd week in and finally hit ketosis. Down 2lbs to 215 this morning and feeling pretty good. Though I'm eating seemingly bad, calories are under 1600/day, less than 20g carbs, rest just fats and proteins. Getting more walking (and sweating) in at work - not voluntarily!

But I'd kill for a beer...

You an me both Shootr! But sadly no alcohol for me!

Down 1 pound. Movement, but still frustrated.

Congratulations to all who lost. Maybe me next week.

Back on the mill!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Belle - I'll get back the day you leave:D

Did my first (in a long time) 6.5 mile run Saturday evening in the rain. I was able to run more than walk;) and the joints seemed to survive. I am feeling a bit sinus-y though, so not sure how wise it was to run in the damp (but it did feel good).

Hope to be down again on Thursday, but we've been so busy that food choices haven't been the wisest.

Hello everyone. How are you doing this week. Tuesday already.

Sounds like everyone is trying hard to lose those pounds. It sure is hard work, isn't it?

Seems like it should be easier. Eat less lose weight. Doesn't always work. Why? That's the Questions!

We just keep at it. All we can do. Never give up.

Another Why.. What we use to do before and lost weight with, we try it now and it doesn't work.

Were the foods made different then? Did we cook different? Did we exercise more or less?

Wish I knew the answer. Do you?

Hope Jan is safe on her cruise. Hope no one here is in the path of everything. If you are.

Leave and be safe.

Oh how I've pondered these questions...

In reading Penn Gillette's book "Presto" (magician that lost a ton of weight in a radical manner - but the person guiding him had some sound theories) - one of them being that humans don't hibernate anymore. There are no lean seasons of less food, regular arduous living conditions (winter), and endless working at surviving. Every day is spring, every day an endless bounty, every day with everything done for us. Endless convenience to foods that have been focus-group'd to perfection to enhance their appeal.

Like most of us here, I've tried a lot of different paths and each one worked - some better than others - but for me at least there was still an ultimate trip-up: boredom (sometimes mixed with a little laziness...).

As I've gotten older, I don't have the motivation to ride religiously 5 times a week, 10 hours plus in the saddle. I can't eat the same exact things, and deny myself the things that bring me enjoyment, for years on end. So I try to read a lot, learn a lot, and try, try again.

Now it's the KETO "fad". Zeroing out carbohydrates and not worrying about good fats and proteins. Calorie count still matters - but now what I eat is satisfying to me, diverse, and fewer things I crave are there to trip me up. Once I get back to where I should be, then the occasional beer will be consumed, a burger with bun maybe.

But for all intents and purposes - I blame processed sugar and foods that contain them.

(OK, this killed a few minutes...where's my parmesan cheese crisp?)

This week sure is flying by:eek: Got laundry done yesterday and will get as much of the packing done today as we can. Praying everyone stays safe in the path of the storms.

I think that as we age we become more sedentary and our metabolisms slow down. Our "instant" society doesn't help either with high calorie, low nutrition convenience foods and so many physical short cuts that keep us from having to move.

I live in an area with a lot of Amish and generally they don't have weight issues despite having a diet that is totally wrong - high carb and high fat. They are much more active though than their "English" counterparts.

Portion sizes and frequency of "treats" seem to have increased in my lifetime too. Things that used to be only on special occasions are now most day occurrences, and even though fast food isn't "super sized" any more the medium and large containers are what I remember being the large and super size.

It doesn't help that dietary guidelines are based on 2000 calories but many of us need 1500 or less to maintain. That's an extra 500/day or 3500/week, which I think is the amount to gain a pound.

Oh how I've pondered these questions...

In reading Penn Gillette's book "Presto" (magician that lost a ton of weight in a radical manner - but the person guiding him had some sound theories) - one of them being that humans don't hibernate anymore. There are no lean seasons of less food, regular arduous living conditions (winter), and endless working at surviving. Every day is spring, every day an endless bounty, every day with everything done for us. Endless convenience to foods that have been focus-group'd to perfection to enhance their appeal.

Like most of us here, I've tried a lot of different paths and each one worked - some better than others - but for me at least there was still an ultimate trip-up: boredom (sometimes mixed with a little laziness...).

As I've gotten older, I don't have the motivation to ride religiously 5 times a week, 10 hours plus in the saddle. I can't eat the same exact things, and deny myself the things that bring me enjoyment, for years on end. So I try to read a lot, learn a lot, and try, try again.

Now it's the KETO "fad". Zeroing out carbohydrates and not worrying about good fats and proteins. Calorie count still matters - but now what I eat is satisfying to me, diverse, and fewer things I crave are there to trip me up. Once I get back to where I should be, then the occasional beer will be consumed, a burger with bun maybe.

But for all intents and purposes - I blame processed sugar and foods that contain them.

(OK, this killed a few minutes...where's my parmesan cheese crisp?)

Great points. I'm guilty of boredom and laziness too:o I need to keep reminding myself that I need to choose my hard - I can track everything now, eat right (with the occasional splurge), and exercise or I will likely follow much of my family in developing type 2 diabetes or other weight related health issues and have to track everything anyway, have joint pain from the excess weight, and not be able to physically do what I want.

On a lighter note - parmesan cheese crisp :D yum!

Good morning guys. Good points you all have. My problem is that I'm guilty of feeling like "I've come so far so I don't need to go so hard all the time." So I buckle down a few days and go down, then see that as an opportunity to relax a bit and right back up it goes. All in all, I've lost nothing and in fact on average am up a couple since March. When I look at it that way its quite disappointing. I mean, I lost over 50lbs in a year, so yay, but I had hoped for a little more that doesn't look like its going to come.

For me, this has all been mostly out of a desire to live a longer and healthier life. While I've never shared the details (and don't worry, won't trouble you with them today :)) Losing my Dad and best friend when he was only 58 nearly killed me. After surviving the nightmare years, my son and I developed a relationship that might even go beyond that I had with my Dad. And I definitely don't want to leave him early too. Anyway, all that is just to say, I've made great progress in being night and day healthier than I was even 2yrs ago. Is whats left just vanity? It kind of feels that way and probably why I don't really have the inspiration I did this time last year. Feeling good about yourself is of course always a huge benefit too. Cruises for me are the bookmarks of my life and cause for reflection and planning the next chapter. Boarding the Oasis of the Seas last November down 40lbs was indescribably rewarding.

Ok, sorry for the rambling. Back to work. See you in the morning.

Mike

Good morning guys. Good points you all have. My problem is that I'm guilty of feeling like "I've come so far so I don't need to go so hard all the time." So I buckle down a few days and go down, then see that as an opportunity to relax a bit and right back up it goes. All in all, I've lost nothing and in fact on average am up a couple since March. When I look at it that way its quite disappointing. I mean, I lost over 50lbs in a year, so yay, but I had hoped for a little more that doesn't look like its going to come.

For me, this has all been mostly out of a desire to live a longer and healthier life. While I've never shared the details (and don't worry, won't trouble you with them today :)) Losing my Dad and best friend when he was only 58 nearly killed me. After surviving the nightmare years, my son and I developed a relationship that might even go beyond that I had with my Dad. And I definitely don't want to leave him early too. Anyway, all that is just to say, I've made great progress in being night and day healthier than I was even 2yrs ago. Is whats left just vanity? It kind of feels that way and probably why I don't really have the inspiration I did this time last year. Feeling good about yourself is of course always a huge benefit too. Cruises for me are the bookmarks of my life and cause for reflection and planning the next chapter. Boarding the Oasis of the Seas last November down 40lbs was indescribably rewarding.

Mike

good job on your weight loss [emoji106] and what matters is how you feel about your self, sometimes people set them self up with this outrageous number that they just can’t come by...enjoy your cruise.

Mike

Hi Mike. I am in exactly the same boat. I didn't lose anyone(thank goodness) but I do also have health issues and have been doing this for health reasons. I am down 40 pounds, just living my life. But since adding exercise The scale has barely moved. I am told that it is because I am building muscle...whatever...it's frustrating!

I look at it like the little ant. Those little guys just keep plugging along and doing their job. This is one of my jobs. So I will keep doing whatever I can to keep my health.

"That little ant can't, move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes!"

Back on the mill! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Wow, just wanted to say I appreciate you guys sharing personal history and your struggles, it really helps motivate me.

So, I was packing today. I am a light packer. Carryon bag. Yep, even for 35 days. Of course will have laundry done on the ship. But, I was able to get an extra workout outfit in my suitcase. Yeah.

Hubby said he wants to do cardio and weight machines everyday. That's great but we'll see. Sometimes he ends up just wanting to go to the steam room while I do my cardio.

I've been working hard so hopefully have a loss for tomorrow.

Diana

Diana, you are an inspiration! I think I might pull off a carryon, but my wife, not so much (or even remotely close for that matter.) [emoji846]

BJ, I keep thinking the same about muscle weight. Its just been the past several months I’ve started doing pushups regularly. So we’ll just say thats factoring in significantly. [emoji6]