Trippingpara's 'Legend'ary Alaskan Cruise Photographic Review

trippingpara

5 hours ago, jc4me said:

Hi Trip, thank you for the review!  We are sailing in May and I would love to know if there were USB ports added to the rooms when Legend was in dry dock. Thank you!!

Hi jc4me.  There were USB ports in our room.  I don't recall if there were any by the bed but we did have USB ports in the dressing room portion of our suite.

19 hours ago, trippingpara said:

Hi jc4me.  There were USB ports in our room.  I don't recall if there were any by the bed but we did have USB ports in the dressing room portion of our suite.

Thank you so much!  That's one less thing we have to pack.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Cruisegirl70 said:

Just read your review. Loved it and we are booked on Carnival in June 2020 with close to the same itinerary. Do you remember the name of the company you used for the Victoria Whale watch? 

Hey Cruisegirl70, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, I really appreciate it!  Glad you liked my review and you are going to have a blast on your cruise to Alaska.  It's pretty flippin' hard to NOT have a great time there!  We sailed with Eagle Wing Tours.  They have a large office right at Fisherman's Wharf, pretty hard to miss.  We sailed on their vessel, "Wild 4 Whales", it was a great boat that had both indoor and outdoor seating and you were even able to go up  to the helm and hang out with the captain.  We had an awesome time with them and highly recommend them!

On 9/27/2018 at 7:14 PM, trippingpara said:

Hi JC4ME, glad you're enjoying this review and thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it! If you are going to rent a car and do this drive then yes, you will need your passport as you will cross into Canada. In fact, you will cross into two different provinces of Canada (British Columbia and Yukon Territories). If you don't have your passport, then it is very important not to pass the U.S. Customs building that is only a couple miles outside of Skagway. If you do, you won't be able to get back into the U.S. even if you didn't cross into Canada. The 12 miles of the White Pass summit is essentially a no man's zone in-between the U.S. and Canadian custom buildings. If you go into that area without a passport, you're going to be there a long time before they are able to sort things out for you!

Hi Trip...our trip is getting closer (leaving May 6th) and I was wondering if you brought any Canadian money for this portion of the trip or if those along this route take US dollars...or if you used a credit card to make purchases?  Your review has been so helpful in our planning!  Thanks again 🙂

8 hours ago, jc4me said:

Hi Trip...our trip is getting closer (leaving May 6th) and I was wondering if you brought any Canadian money for this portion of the trip or if those along this route take US dollars...or if you used a credit card to make purchases?  Your review has been so helpful in our planning!  Thanks again 🙂

Hi JC4ME, we did not change over any money into Canadian.  I was planning on stopping at an ATM to pull some Canadian out put it turns out we didn't need to.  Many places will take USD but you will get CAD for change and the exchange rate won't be the greatest.  I used my Amex card which has favorable FX rates and minimal fees for the exchange so it worked out great for us.  I so glad to hear that my review has been helpful for you!  Have fun and enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for a great review! We'll be on the Legend in July. I was planning to do the train/bus combo with dog sled in Skagway but I think you have me convinced to rent a car and do a self-guided tour. Did you have a particular resource book or map or something that you used to guide you or did you just make stops along the way that looked interesting?  Also thinking about doing the Island Wings Fjords and Glacier combo in Ketchikan with the money we save going the self-guided route in Skagway!

13 hours ago, amypintx said:

Thanks for a great review! We'll be on the Legend in July. I was planning to do the train/bus combo with dog sled in Skagway but I think you have me convinced to rent a car and do a self-guided tour. Did you have a particular resource book or map or something that you used to guide you or did you just make stops along the way that looked interesting?  Also thinking about doing the Island Wings Fjords and Glacier combo in Ketchikan with the money we save going the self-guided route in Skagway!

Hey amypintx,

Thank you for the kind words!  We absolutely LOVED doing the Klondike drive ourselves.  Super easy to do and so much better seeing things on your terms not 80 other people's terms!  We used Murray's Guide to the South Klondike.  Very helpful and informative.  Just do a Google search for it.  I bought the paid version and downloaded it and took it with us.  You can do it without the guide but there is so much info in there and it's only a few bucks so I would highly recommend getting it.  Plus it gave us some places that are off the beaten path and wouldn't see from the road.  I would suggest booking the rental car soon as they do sell out when the cruise ships come in.  And using your savings to book with Island Wings in Ketchikan is GENIUS!!  Have fun and smooth sailings!

Cheers,

Trip

Great review trip!!! Just stayed up til 4am reading! Lol. We set sail April 29th from Vancouver with same stops (but not Victoria — but we live in Victoria so no loss there 😜) glad you found eagle wing for the whale watch they are great!! We went out with them last sept too and saw baby orcas. Btw there are harbour ferries (mini boats) that can take you from fisherman’s wharf to down town or to quite a few other stops around the harbour and up the gorge.(for others traveling here). Good to hear there will still be the “hairy chest competition” for me to bus-chuck my hubby into😜. Was wondering if there would be any activities like that. (My hubby won the last one he was in on our Caribbean cruise lol and he’s usually very shy so is great to see him cut loose lol) . Beautiful pictures - mind if I repost any? 

Thanks for for such a thorough review👍

On 4/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Auralee said:

Great review trip!!! Just stayed up til 4am reading! Lol. We set sail April 29th from Vancouver with same stops (but not Victoria — but we live in Victoria so no loss there 😜) glad you found eagle wing for the whale watch they are great!! We went out with them last sept too and saw baby orcas. Btw there are harbour ferries (mini boats) that can take you from fisherman’s wharf to down town or to quite a few other stops around the harbour and up the gorge.(for others traveling here). Good to hear there will still be the “hairy chest competition” for me to bus-chuck my hubby into😜. Was wondering if there would be any activities like that. (My hubby won the last one he was in on our Caribbean cruise lol and he’s usually very shy so is great to see him cut loose lol) . Beautiful pictures - mind if I repost any? 

Thanks for for such a thorough review👍

Hi Auralee,

Wow!  Now that's some dedication to reading!!  I hope a few margaritas were involved in that long session!  Thank you so much for the kind words on my review, I'm really glad you liked it.  We were so happy to have found Eagle Wings, they were truly a class act!  Most of the activities that go on during a regular Caribbean cruise still go on during an Alaskan cruise but they do tend be a bit more subdued if you will.  But the Hairy Chest Contest was still pretty rowdy (ended up having great weather that day too!).  You can certainly repost my photos provided you do not edit them or remove my signature from them.  Thank you for asking, I really do appreciate that!!

Cheers and smooth sailings!

Trip

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, amypintx said:

Hey Trip! One more question... did you have to make a reservation at the Tutshi Dog Kennels or can you just show up anytime? 

Thanks!

Amy

Hi Amy,

You don't need to reserve in advance.  We just showed up and asked for the sledding tour.  We stopped there in the morning on our way out instead of waiting for our return trip back to Skagway.  Some of the tour companies are now starting to send their tours there instead of to Caribou Crossing in Carcross.  We made plenty of photo stops on the way there but we wanted to get there fairly early (shortly after they opened).  You'll love it at Tutshi.  The dogs were awesome (tons of puppies, how can you not love that?!), the scenery is incredible and the folks working there and running the place were super nice and very informative.  We never felt like we were at a tourist stop.  It really felt exactly what it was: basically, we were dropping by and hanging out with the dogs and to learn and help out training a sledding team prepare for the winter racing season.  The whole car ride into the Klondike was the highlight of the trip for me.  Absolutely loved it and can't wait to do it again!

11 hours ago, trippingpara said:

You don't need to reserve in advance.  We just showed up and asked for the sledding tour.  

Perfect! Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'm super excited about this port day!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the third time I read your trip report and I love it.  It gave me ideas what to do for our upcoming Alaska cruise on August with my parents and hubby.  Thanks for the info about the Tutsi Dog Sled tour.  My mom loves dogs.  However, since they are on the older side (70's), they would probably sit out the dog sled part.  I promised my sister I would return them in one piece.

20 hours ago, Ak4n3 said:

This is the third time I read your trip report and I love it.  It gave me ideas what to do for our upcoming Alaska cruise on August with my parents and hubby.  Thanks for the info about the Tutsi Dog Sled tour.  My mom loves dogs.  However, since they are on the older side (70's), they would probably sit out the dog sled part.  I promised my sister I would return them in one piece.

LOL, yeah, bringing the parents back in one piece is a pretty solid plan!  I'm so glad to you enjoyed my review and have found it helpful.  The great thing with Tutshi, you don't have to take the dog sled tour to play with the pups.  But note, the dog sled tour is pretty easy going for the passengers.  It's not a wild ride or dangerous in any way.  If I remember correctly, you can sit or stand in the sled.  We choose to stand.  Sitting would be just fine for them.  Something to think about if you'd (or they) are interested.  Have fun and smooth sailings!

On 5/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, trippingpara said:

LOL, yeah, bringing the parents back in one piece is a pretty solid plan!  I'm so glad to you enjoyed my review and have found it helpful.  The great thing with Tutshi, you don't have to take the dog sled tour to play with the pups.  But note, the dog sled tour is pretty easy going for the passengers.  It's not a wild ride or dangerous in any way.  If I remember correctly, you can sit or stand in the sled.  We choose to stand.  Sitting would be just fine for them.  Something to think about if you'd (or they) are interested.  Have fun and smooth sailings!

Can we use  USD when  paying for the dog sled tour (or purchasing food along the highways in the Yukon) or should we bring CAD?

Pretty sure every Canadian would accept usd... just no guarantee on you receiving a good (or any) exchange rate. Usually if exchange is offered its 25cents per dollar ie if it’s 1$ can . You pay 1 usd. They may give you 25 cents Canadian as change. 

Edited by Auralee

16 hours ago, Ak4n3 said:

Can we use  USD when  paying for the dog sled tour (or purchasing food along the highways in the Yukon) or should we bring CAD?

Whenever I've been fairly close to the US border in Canada, I've never had a problem using USD, but like Auralee said, they will always give you change in CAD and the FX rate will not be favorable.  On this particular trip, we only used our credit card which had very favorable FX rates and does not change conversion fees.

Also, please note that there are very FEW places along the highway for food.  This is a very rural route that is extremely scenic but very lacking in amenities.  Your best bet for food is in Carcross.  We stopped at a little cafe there, just off the highway.  Excellent sandwiches!

We cruised Carnival Legend May 6-14, 2019 and LOVED this trip.  Thank you for your suggestions.  It was an amazing trip and the drive up the Klondike Highway was one of our favorite days.  You Rock!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jc4me said:

We cruised Carnival Legend May 6-14, 2019 and LOVED this trip.  Thank you for your suggestions.  It was an amazing trip and the drive up the Klondike Highway was one of our favorite days.  You Rock!

Hey jc4me,

I'm glad you had an awesome time on the cruise.  Isn't that drive up the Klondike Highway incredible?!  I'm still amazed that I never drove the car off the road gawking at all of the incredible scenery!  So happy my review was helpful for you.

Cheers,

Trip

On 5/18/2019 at 4:27 AM, trippingpara said:

Whenever I've been fairly close to the US border in Canada, I've never had a problem using USD, but like Auralee said, they will always give you change in CAD and the FX rate will not be favorable.  On this particular trip, we only used our credit card which had very favorable FX rates and does not change conversion fees.

Also, please note that there are very FEW places along the highway for food.  This is a very rural route that is extremely scenic but very lacking in amenities.  Your best bet for food is in Carcross.  We stopped at a little cafe there, just off the highway.  Excellent sandwiches!

Thank you for replying.  Now I feel more prepared about our trip.  We're so excited!  Three months to go....

20 hours ago, Clairescurtains said:

I have really enjoyed your review. We are doing the Legend to Alaska in July and really looking forward to it.

I plan on recommending your review to our travel friends, too.

Hi Clairescurtains,

I'm so glad you enjoyed my review and I appreciate you recommending it to others.  You are going to love this cruise!  We want to go back on it so bad.  Have a great time and happy sailings!

Cheers,

Trip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...