NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

We are staying at the Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycpr-residence-inn-new-york-manhattan-central-park/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Here is our view of Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Too bad we are sailing out of Brooklyn. I wonder if that is the Carnival Horizon that crashed into the pier and caused the damage?

fd0d36e563c290d7764c44f1c7ebc737.jpg

The Residence Inn is amazing. There are many pubs and restaurants a few steps from the door and it is right across the street from Studio 54 with Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway. If I knew that I would have purchased tickets.

Our room is compact but beautiful. Floor-to-ceiling windows on two sides make it seem much bigger than it is. What is even more amazing are the beautiful public spaces. The entire 3rd Floor is a huge breakfast lounge with floor-to-very-high-ceiling windows and lovely decor. The 4th Floor is the Starbucks and a bar. It also has the high ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows. We arrive during Happy Hour. Two orders of chicken wings, nachos and guacamole, and two specialty drinks of the day. Total order with tip: Less than $45.00. And it was really good too!

We finish our wings and head over to the computers to print out our boarding passes and luggage tags. Alas, the printers are not working. The attendant calls for a tech and we head back to our room. I will print them tomorrow.

We get on the elevator and greet the lone person already inside. The alarm sounds. “This elevator is above capacity. Please exit to another elevator.” We all look at each other in amusement. The stranger comments that there is no WAY this elevator is overweight. Now I will admit to becoming a little fluffy in my advancing years, but not enough to get my own show or anything. I tell them I need to start that diet immediately. Like... right this second. Too bad I’m about to get on a cruise.

Not that it matters now, but the secret to Dial 7 is the advance booking + executive car + coupon from their website. Have a great trip!

Definitely a secret. I had it all lined up a few weeks ago and then ran into technical difficulties. I didn’t try again because I found out I could call when we landed. I won’t be making that mistake again!

Interesting that the view out your window is the ship that forced you to trek to Brooklyn.

Roy

Isn’t it? :')

We are acting on your suggestion, Roy, and taking the SB ferry to the terminal. I have just purchased the tickets through the app and will head that way in about an hour. It seems a much more pleasant way to arrive. So thank you!

Breakfast in the lounge was excellent. Afterwards I headed to the computers to print out our boarding passes and luggage tags. Alas, my booking has disappeared and I no longer have access. Luckily I have screen shots so that is how we will gain entrance. Will need to tip the porters extra to give us our luggage tags. Technology is grand.

Oh *Miss G*, you have me in stitches.

You are a great writer :)

I have ended up in the wrong restroom once in an airport. I was mortified. But, I was much younger LOL.

Thank heavens your plane got you there and you are heading off to your cruise.

You've had a hectic time between Florence worries and airplane snafus.

Tells me that the cruise will be fantastic (yn) and in you are in for well deserved good time :D

Yes! We are here!!

To finish off from yesterday... we land in the pouring rain. Fellow passengers rush to connecting flights. Or not. More than likely they are headed to Customer Service. Our Priority bags are the last ones down the conveyor. Having experienced my bags NOT coming down the conveyor I am happy.

I initially was going to use Dial7 Limo service. Their prices seemed reasonable and you can contact them upon arrival. I double-check their prices when we land and they have doubled. I dial Carmel Limo instead.

It is not a luxury car by any means, but the driver is courteous and professional and handles the vehicle like a pro. Which is really saying something in NYC traffic. He knows exactly where he’s going and which routes to take to get us there the fastest. Plus we got an excellent price. I highly recommend this company.

For those who need an idea of the price:

2ade9f651757decf4129a7d187497117.jpg

The tolls seem high. Did you get an explanation? Were there other add ons to get to that figure?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to add my own experiences(!) going into the men’s restroom instead of the Ladies’. Yes, it happened more than once. First was at the JC Penny at the local mall. For years and years, the Ladies’ was here and Men’s there. (I also worked at this particular store.) Guess it had been a while since I’d used the facility there. So I go strolling in and saw the back of a man, standing at a urinal! I backed out right away. They had switched rooms! The second time it happened at our Wegman’s Supermarket. There are restrooms on the first floor and in the “Cafe” seating area on the second floor. This is also where my book club meets once a month. Little did I realize that the rooms are on the opposite sides on each floor. I happened to be on floor one (by the registers), and I go into the women’s side (floor two). Not so fast...again, why is that man standing there??

I double check every time now...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think an upsell is when you are offered a higher category cabin but you pay the extra, so they might send an email for instance for $299.00 per person you can get upgraded from say oceanview to a veranda. The upgrade fairy is when you get a free upgrade we booked inside guarantee and got free upgrade to ocean view.

We book through our TA, if an upsell is available, does HAL contact us directly or our TA? We have never been offered one...:(

"Miss G" you have a great writing style! :D Really enjoying your adventures in the men's toilet, flying the "friendly skies", the hotel elevator, etc.

Enjoy the good ol' Zuidy and your voyage to Canuck land

Have a great time!

"Miss G" I agree completely with Copper10-8, In my few years of following CC, your writing style is delightful, and makes me smile at your humor. I'm looking forward to following your trip. We are on the Zuiderdam in November. ENJOY!

We book through our TA, if an upsell is available, does HAL contact us directly or our TA? We have never been offered one...:(

HAL will contact your TA who then, must contact you. Be sure to let your TA know you are interested in an upsell. Always helps :)

I have to add my own experiences(!) going into the men’s restroom instead of the Ladies’. Yes, it happened more than once. First was at the JC Penny at the local mall. For years and years, the Ladies’ was here and Men’s there. (I also worked at this particular store.) Guess it had been a while since I’d used the facility there. So I go strolling in and saw the back of a man, standing at a urinal! I backed out right away. They had switched rooms! The second time it happened at our Wegman’s Supermarket. There are restrooms on the first floor and in the “Cafe” seating area on the second floor. This is also where my book club meets once a month. Little did I realize that the rooms are on the opposite sides on each floor. I happened to be on floor one (by the registers), and I go into the women’s side (floor two). Not so fast...again, why is that man standing there??

I double check every time now...

I've accidentally walked into the wrong one a couple of times. If I see showers for midgets I realize my mistake immediately and just back out ;). Well, usually. Once I did it on purpose. Many years ago I was flying my plane from Dallas down to Harlingen. Stopped for fuel at the FBO in Kerrville. Gave my fuel order and headed back toward the facilities. Saw two doors -- one labelled "Pilots" and the other labelled "Stewardesses". I walked back to the desk and said "You see that Grumman out there being fueled? I own it and I flew it in. Now I'm going to use the facilities. Guard the door!". Wow! Talk about thread drift!

I've accidentally walked into the wrong one a couple of times. If I see showers for midgets I realize my mistake immediately and just back out ;). Well, usually. Once I did it on purpose. Many years ago I was flying my plane from Dallas down to Harlingen. Stopped for fuel at the FBO in Kerrville. Gave my fuel order and headed back toward the facilities. Saw two doors -- one labelled "Pilots" and the other labelled "Stewardesses". I walked back to the desk and said "You see that Grumman out there being fueled? I own it and I flew it in. Now I'm going to use the facilities. Guard the door!". Wow! Talk about thread drift!

Love it!

.............................I walked back to the desk and said "You see that Grumman out there being fueled? I own it and I flew it in. Now I'm going to use the facilities. Guard the door!". Wow! Talk about thread drift!

AA5, Cougar or Gulfstream? ;)

I would be very unhappy to learn at the last minute about cruise terminal change in New York.

Onboard we were informed several days ahead of time that due to damage at the Manhattan dock, we would be using the Brooklyn dock. The view was actually quite good, in fact, the Captain said that it was the best view he had ever had in many trips to NY.

Onboard we were informed several days ahead of time that due to damage at the Manhattan dock, we would be using the Brooklyn dock. The view was actually quite good, in fact, the Captain said that it was the best view he had ever had in many trips to NY.

I love Captain Vartjes, but I'm sorry, I think that was a little bit of spin he was doing yesterday morning when we docked in Brooklyn. ;p Yes, it's a nice view, but it cannot compare to a full sail in to, or sailaway from, Manhattan.

(The notice of the change in arrival terminals from Manhattan to Brooklyn, while we were at sea, really messed with our disembarkation arrangements. And having to rearrange things using the Zuiderdam's glacially slow internet was no picnic. Speaking only for myself, it was a bigger hassle to arrive in Brooklyn than Manhattan. I know that not everyone was affected the same way. Interestingly, the Carnival Horizon, which caused the damage to MCT Pier 90 in the first place, was docked at the MCT yesterday [Pier 88] while we were bumped to Brooklyn. I wonder if that was a decision by Carnival Corp or the local authorities.)

I love Captain Vartjes, but I'm sorry, I think that was a little bit of spin he was doing yesterday morning when we docked in Brooklyn. ;p Yes, it's a nice view, but it cannot compare to a full sail in to, or sailaway from, Manhattan.

(The notice of the change in arrival terminals from Manhattan to Brooklyn, while we were at sea, really messed with our disembarkation arrangements. And having to rearrange things using the Zuiderdam's glacially slow internet was no picnic. Speaking only for myself, it was a bigger hassle to arrive in Brooklyn than Manhattan. I know that not everyone was affected the same way. Interestingly, the Carnival Horizon, which caused the damage to MCT Pier 90 in the first place, was docked at the MCT yesterday [Pier 88] while we were bumped to Brooklyn. I wonder if that was a decision by Carnival Corp or the local authorities.)

It's Vaartjes and I don't quite get the "spin" part. Decisions like moving ships around because of a "b.o." pier are not made by the shipping lines, in this case cruise companies! They are made by the local port authority and you either accept them or skip the port call. Inconvenience for some pax? Yes, no doubt but what's a mother to do?