Princess Doesn't offer a break for singles ?

kittenjing

I'm looking to book on the Crown with a large group of friends in May, I'm the only single at this time and called Princess; can't afford the inside cabin at full price (for two) and Princess Rep. said they don't offer anything for singles. So disappointed - any suggestions? Has anyone else gotten the single price on Princess even at last minute booking? Thanks for your advice appreciate it.

It is rare to find either a single cabin (HAL Pinnacle class has a few) or a price break on a single cabin. We have booked a single inside for teen son with a suite opposite for us and his younger sister and we rarely get a break on the price of his cabin. Just like hotel rooms.

Might not help with this particular cruise, but sign up for the special offers e-mails from Princess. I got a notice for no single supplement cruises twice this year. ( both Caribbean ).

I got the offers after I sailed solo a couple times (New England and Alaska). My guess is that Princess keeps track of your preferences, as I had never received solo cruise offers in the past.

I'm looking to book on the Crown with a large group of friends in May, I'm the only single at this time and called Princess; can't afford the inside cabin at full price (for two) and Princess Rep. said they don't offer anything for singles. So disappointed - any suggestions? Has anyone else gotten the single price on Princess even at last minute booking? Thanks for your advice appreciate it.

Please share with us which cruise line you have received a "break" in the fare from for single occupancy of a two person stateroom.

Edited by fishywood

I’m surprised they don’t charge singles more.

If you look at financial statements fares pretty much get them to break even. Profit is from on board spending. Overheads are almost equal, same crew, same ship depreciation costs, same fuel. About $10 pp pd food.

So an entire ship sailing with one person per cabin profit is halved. (I know that’s an extreme example).

I got “breaks” on single accommodations from HAL, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and, yes, even Princess. It was never a full waiver of the single supplement, but I never paid more than 150% of stated fare. When I booked close to sailing date, I got as low as 125%.

Of course, no one likes paying the full price for a room - but you cannot blame the lines for wanting to get the full price for a two person room. When they do not get full price when only one person books a cabin - not only do they miss out not the full fare, they miss out on the on-board spending. The last thing they want is to market their product (double cabins) to singles at fares which will gut their revenues.

Kittenjing,

Even though Princess makes solos pay 200%, they do give you double credit in their loyalty program. Like Navy, I've gotten discounts on HAL cabins. It's usually been for Caribbean cruises, and limited to inside and outside cabins.

Roz

Roz: Even though Princess makes solos pay 200%, they do give you double credit in their loyalty program. Like Navy, I've gotten discounts on HAL cabins. It's usually been for Caribbean cruises, and limited to inside and outside cabins.

HAL charges me 200% for solo occupancy but I get Mariner day just for one person After sailing so many dozen and dozens of HAL cruises with Dh, I continue to book same cabins and get no discount.

Please share with us which cruise line you have received a "break" in the fare from for single occupancy of a two person stateroom.

I've gotten a "break" on Holland America on occasion, and regularly on more premium lines.

As mentioned, Princess does give double loyalty points to solos.

If you haven't noticed, the people who got deals booked close to sailing. And the deals were offered to get people to fill cabins.

But that means if the ship is near full or full, you will not get any deals. And it could be full, and you will not be able to book at all.

So if you are traveling with others, you will need to either book and pay the extra, or not go. And hope MAYBE something will open up at the last minute

If you haven't noticed, the people who got deals booked close to sailing. And the deals were offered to get people to fill cabins.

But that means if the ship is near full or full, you will not get any deals. And it could be full, and you will not be able to book at all.

So if you are traveling with others, you will need to either book and pay the extra, or not go. And hope MAYBE something will open up at the last minute

This is it in a nutshell. It is simply naive to state that lines “should be fair, and not charge singles so much”. No one in a business is going to cut their revenue just to be “fair” to people who want a double room for themselves.

An increasing number of cruise lines are offering single cabins, but Princess is not one of them, not even on their newest class.

As others have mentioned, discounts will normally only be available on cruises that aren't selling well, generally at the last minute.

A cabin on a ship is more than a hotel room as a hotel room is mostly used as a room with the odd meal included (unless its a resort type affair) where a cabin on a ship comes with a lot more.

I understand why cruise lines charge per person and why they charge similar rates for children.

However some lines are seeing the trends in solo travellers and creating cabins for this on their newer ships.

There are some last minute solo deals out there, but as already pointed out, they tend to be last minute offers. I work full time, plus I live inland, so getting permission to take annual leave and trying to book reasonable priced flights pretty much prohibit me from taking advantage of these offers.

Roz

It is rare to find either a single cabin (HAL Pinnacle class has a few) or a price break on a single cabin.

Not for a single cabin, but for a normal cabin occupied by just 1 person.......there are multiple ways to pay less than double the per-person price, albeit not typically for a specific cruise. Crystal is an exception, offering lower solo supplements (usually 30% to 50%) on virtually every cruise for most cabins on board, but it is capacity controlled. In addition, there are many solo sales, but the choice of cruises with those sales is obviously limited, so you have to choose what they want to offer. Check cruiseplum.com for some options, or talk to a travel agent. Solo cabins (small cabins, usually interior) are not always the best value or price, and sometimes you can actually sail solo in a regular cabin for cheaper than sailing in a solo cabin, so be sure to check.

I’m surprised they don’t charge singles more.

If you look at financial statements fares pretty much get them to break even. Profit is from on board spending.

True, but on a per-person basis, solo passengers spend more on board than those who are part of a couple or family group. They are more likely to buy photos, drinks, and activities.

However some lines are seeing the trends in solo travellers and creating cabins for this on their newer ships.

But if you look at the prices for those single rooms, they are not half the price of double rooms. They are closer to 75% or more. Less than paying for a double room, but not the bargain that people might think they should be.

But if you look at the prices for those single rooms, they are not half the price of double rooms. They are closer to 75% or more. Less than paying for a double room, but not the bargain that people might think they should be.

And not always less than paying for a double room! Be sure to do your research before booking!

This, of course, makes sense. A single cabin (including bath) is not much smaller than a double - 75% of the space sounds about right. Additionally, the on board spending factor must be considered.

Have your friends already booked? Would they be willing to help split the cost? A very fair and nice thing for a large group to do would be to take the total costs and split by the number of people, allowing you to go for not much more than a single.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL has their studio area on certain ships that is designed for solo travelers.

OP says that she/he is cruising with a large group of friends ? Is there not one more friend or friend of a friend

to recruit ? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They could all be couples except her -- that was what I thought the situation might be. I was wondering if everyone in the large group kicked in a little, they could help cover a portion of her supplement, taking some of the sting out of it for her. That's what I would suggest for my friends ;)

They could all be couples except her -- that was what I thought the situation might be. I was wondering if everyone in the large group kicked in a little, they could help cover a portion of her supplement, taking some of the sting out of it for her. That's what I would suggest for my friends ;)

Yes , could be friends are all couples . Only OP can answer that , but a large group of couples should have single friends ?

I’m just guessing that the OP has those options but may just insist on a cabin for their self ? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums