!!! HAL Amsterdam !!! To Alaska ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

The shuttle bus service can be bought aboard the cruise, and they are round trip tickets. They drop you off in the same place as the pickup is. It’s really close to the marina, like two blocks into downtown. We found out through one of the announcements that they make, but mom and I just bought the ticket once we got off the ship. I almost sure it was the same price
D'oh, I now remember reading your post about booking off the ship. ;pThanks for the information and your patience.

Gambee -

Thanks for taking us along with you and your Mother on your Alaskan Adventure! It is always interesting to "see things through your eyes", so to speak, as you always seem to have a very optimistic and positive outlook on things. Also being fairly new to cruising, and having sailed mostly on new Mega Ships, it was fascinating to read your thoughts and reactions to the Holland America experience, and to one of their smaller ships as comparison.

Looking forward to your next cruise and following along on that adventure, wherever it may be!

Gambee -

Thanks for taking us along with you and your Mother on your Alaskan Adventure! It is always interesting to "see things through your eyes", so to speak, as you always seem to have a very optimistic and positive outlook on things. Also being fairly new to cruising, and having sailed mostly on new Mega Ships, it was fascinating to read your thoughts and reactions to the Holland America experience, and to one of their smaller ships as comparison.

Looking forward to your next cruise and following along on that adventure, wherever it may be!

Thank you for following along. We loved the smaller ship. Actually, mom and I were talking yesterday and we are thinking of doing Patagonia in a even smaller ship. But we have to wait for that one =)

What a fun review! I could tell that you and your mother really enjoyed the cruise, and you've made me super excited for our cruise on the Amsterdam next summer.

Your pictures are wonderful. DH and I recently bought the same camera as yours--a great little camera.

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us.

I just wanted to add my thanks for all the comments and ideas you offered to us. I have never cruised on HAL, but seriously considering an Alaskan cruise on one. Then a land tour on our own. I also want to commend you on taking such good care of your mom while on this trip. You will never ever regret the time you spent with her enjoying the sights and sounds of Alaska.

Well that explains why the app was not working. Lol. What a shame it would be perfect there.

Thanks for following.

Loved all your pics, especially the ones you took early am on the ship, I hope that the 'boys' in Seattle realize that we need more of these size ships....

I hope that the 'boys' in Seattle realize that we need more of these size ships....

The 'suits' in Seattle have little to no say as to what size ships are ordered by Carnival Corp for the HAL brand. The Carnival Corp BOD have determined the future for HAL lies in the Pinnacle Class vessels, and presumably in future, even larger ships. The R-Class may soldier on for another 8/10 years or so, but the S-class will be gone in 4/5 years at most. Maasdam will reach 30 years old in 2023 and Rotterdam in 2027. Carnival Corp rarely operates ships much beyond this age.

Carnival corp has stayed away from "toys" such as ice skating, rock climbing, surf simulators, bumper cars, sky diving, ziplining, etc - even on the newest Carnival ships. So far only the Carnival ships have seen the addition of "toys" like waterslides. I think the chances of those "toys" appearing on a HAL or Princess ship anytime soon are pretty much zero - it's just not the market demographic Carnival Corp is aiming for with those brands

I had no idea that the Westerdam stopped in Sitka, interesting. Yeah, the Westerdam is definitely a larger ship, but still small when compared to newer ships. Like you I am not loyal, I really don't see the point of being loyal a cruise, well aside from your status going up and getting more perks. But I enjoy trying all the lines, and seeing what they have to offer. The next one should be Princess, but they don't have smaller ships, and I want to do Alaska again.

I am just starting to read your Alaskan adventure Gambee and loving it! We are trying to plan a May/June trip with friends from England next year and you are giving me lots of helpful tips. Talking about Princess and smaller ships, I believe "The Island" goes to Alaska and it is a small ship. We did the Panama Canal on her and loved the size. I don't like the huge ships and usually look at the smaller ones. Thanks again....got to get back to reading lol.

Just finished reading all of your review Gambee. So great and so complete! Loved it! I certainly read some great tips and I am thinking I might have to look at which sailings for next May/June the Amsterdam is doing. Thanks again and I look forward to your next review.

• 2 weeks later...