Private Travel Into and Out of Canada

masterdrago

While looking at the sparse amounts of roads around Juneau and Skagway, we noticed that many cross into Canada. I'm wanting to know what experiences others have had while venturing into and out of the Yukon and British Columbia. Primarily, I'm asking about private tours not excursions. I know we need a passport and we'll be renting a jeep so just wanting your take. Most looking at Alaska 98 the Canada 2 from Skagway up to Carcross. Looks really nice. Or Alaska 7 into Canada highway 3 and eventually to Whitehorse. Are any dangers any different than on the U.S. side of the border. I've spent time driving into our southern border and have mostly felt somewhat apprehensive.

We rented a Jeep for a self-drive into Yukon from Skagway. The border crossing was easy in both directions. A few simple questions, including where have you been/where are you going and we were off again.

Wesley

While looking at the sparse amounts of roads around Juneau and Skagway, we noticed that many cross into Canada. I'm wanting to know what experiences others have had while venturing into and out of the Yukon and British Columbia. Primarily, I'm asking about private tours not excursions. I know we need a passport and we'll be renting a jeep so just wanting your take. Most looking at Alaska 98 the Canada 2 from Skagway up to Carcross. Looks really nice. Or Alaska 7 into Canada highway 3 and eventually to Whitehorse. Are any dangers any different than on the U.S. side of the border. I've spent time driving into our southern border and have mostly felt somewhat apprehensive.

There's no roads out of Juneau... Highway 7 is the Haines Highway and it goes into Canada, connecting to Haines Junction. (Alaskan's hardly ever refer to our roads by a number... most don't even know what highway is numbered what. We typically refer to the name of the road; Haines, Highway, Klondike Highway, Parks Highway, etc...)

It's that way in Texas also but there are road signs put up by the state and county - FM1314 = Porter Highway, FM1097 = Bentwater Dr., State 6 = Aggie Highway. Names are referred by locals, most maps use numbers, at least in Texas. When the road crosses a state line the number will change like I'm seeing on Mapquest and Google Earth where the roads cross into Canada. So other than a border check point, it looks the same, smells the same and folks don't talk funny? Try ordering a meal after you cross from Texas into Louisiana:rolleyes:

Metric speed limits in Canada, so check both sets of readings around the speedo dial unless you have a GPS (which you can change the units on to make life easy). Other than that, make sure that your car rental is allowed to cross the border (check Terms & Conditions before booking just in case!) plus double-check that EVERYONE in the vehicle has their appropriate WHTI-compliant IDS and no criminal record (many US misdemeanours = Canadian crimes = not admissible to Canada) - otherwise there's not much to worry about re: a cross-border road trip.