Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

sddsddean

8 hours ago, All That Jazz said:

Hello Anne,

First, thank you for giving so much of your time and knowledge to this board. I have two questions:

1. Where do we go in Dubai to buy distilled water for a CPAP machine?

2. We will be there during Ramadan. How much of the tourist activities are cancelled?

I'm guessing my walking food tour will be out. Any special evening events to attend or avoid?

Can we purchase bottled water during the day?

thanks,

Linda

Linda,

In answer to your questions,:

1.  I really don't know, however I will endeavour to find out and post if I find the answer.  As it's for a piece of medical equipment I'll check with one of the main pharmacies and see if they can provide the answer...

2.  As far as I'm aware the food tours are usually conducted in the evenings - it's a bit too hot here for most of the year to do daytime walking tours!!! 😃

Dubai has relaxed many of the previous restrictions that used to be an integral part of Ramadan in the UAE so you may find little change from any other time of year.  Some outdoor licensed venues with live entertainment will be closed but other than that most hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions operate normally these days.    The one restriction we do all keep to is not eating, drinking, smoking, etc. etc. in public during fasting hours, and some smaller f&b outlets (cafes, coffee shop, food trucks, etc.) may stay closed throughout the day, only opening in the evenings.   Shops are open as normal during the daytime so you can purchase bottled water, just be discreet about drinking whilst you are 'out in the open' and don't drink or eat openly when out in public places..  Most hotels and many of the larger restaurants will hold daily Iftar dinner/buffet featuring many traditional dishes on their menus, you may like to try on of those, alternatively some also offer Suhoor, which was traditionally a meal taken before the fast begins but now seems to have morphed into an evening event for those who prefer to break their fast with something light early in the evening and then eat their main meal later in the evening.... Any other special events you should be able to find in Whats On, either online or in a hard copy at your hotel...

Anne...

On 10/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, Host Kat said:

Anne,

You are most welcome! emo3.gif 

Glad to be of service,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Host Kat,

Can we merge this thread with the other "Dubai questions for Jayayeff…" thread please (link below).  That one has fallen down the pages and if everyone starts using this one then all the info on the other one will sink into oblivion...

Many Thanks

Jayayeff (Anne)

On 11/18/2019 at 1:06 AM, Jayayeff said:

Linda,

In answer to your questions,:

1.  I really don't know, however I will endeavour to find out and post if I find the answer.  As it's for a piece of medical equipment I'll check with one of the main pharmacies and see if they can provide the answer...

2.  As far as I'm aware the food tours are usually conducted in the evenings - it's a bit too hot here for most of the year to do daytime walking tours!!! 😃

Dubai has relaxed many of the previous restrictions that used to be an integral part of Ramadan in the UAE so you may find little change from any other time of year.  Some outdoor licensed venues with live entertainment will be closed but other than that most hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions operate normally these days.    The one restriction we do all keep to is not eating, drinking, smoking, etc. etc. in public during fasting hours, and some smaller f&b outlets (cafes, coffee shop, food trucks, etc.) may stay closed throughout the day, only opening in the evenings.   Shops are open as normal during the daytime so you can purchase bottled water, just be discreet about drinking whilst you are 'out in the open' and don't drink or eat openly when out in public places..  Most hotels and many of the larger restaurants will hold daily Iftar dinner/buffet featuring many traditional dishes on their menus, you may like to try on of those, alternatively some also offer Suhoor, which was traditionally a meal taken before the fast begins but now seems to have morphed into an evening event for those who prefer to break their fast with something light early in the evening and then eat their main meal later in the evening.... Any other special events you should be able to find in Whats On, either online or in a hard copy at your hotel...

Anne...

Thank you so much. You are a great asset to this board!

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:08 AM, Jayayeff said:

Host Kat,

Can we merge this thread with the other "Dubai questions for Jayayeff…" thread please (link below).  That one has fallen down the pages and if everyone starts using this one then all the info on the other one will sink into oblivion...

Many Thanks

Jayayeff (Anne)

Howdy y'all! emo22.gif

The two threads have been merged into one thread. Per the Cruise Critic software for merged threads, all posts now appear in post date/time order on this thread. If you were not aware there were two threads, you need to read back through this newly merged thread to make sure you have seen all of the posts so far.

Those of you that bookmarked the URL or were following only one of the threads now need to bookmark this new URL or Follow this newly merged thread instead. For anyone needing help on how to Follow, please read How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) .

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have all of you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

6 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Just got back from Dubai.  What an amazing place! Thanks for all the help on this thread - it helped quiet a bit on our visit.

Jack

Welcome home! Do you have a trip report of Dubai? I would love to read it if you dont mind.

I will be on the cruise in May 2020, and Dubai will be the disembarkation port. We will be there 2 nights. We live in Los Angeles. In addition to your Dubai trip, please also share your experience of Dubai Intl Airport. Thank you in advance for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anne.  Once I check in to my cruise, I have a further 30 hours or so to visit Dubai.  I planned on visiting along the Creek. How walkable is the Cruise Terminal and is it feasible to walk to The Dubai Museum? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Hi Anne.  Once I check in to my cruise, I have a further 30 hours or so to visit Dubai.  I planned on visiting along the Creek. How walkable is the Cruise Terminal and is it feasible to walk to The Dubai Museum? Thanks.

The Creek is quite close to the cruise terminal however Port Rashid is a secure area and you are not allowed to walk in or out of it.  Plus, it is too far to walk you’ll need to get a taxi from the terminal to Al Fahidi St. in the Al Seef Heritage area where the Dubai Museum is located however, the whole Al Seef Heritage area beside the Creek is walkable once you get there.  

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff

30 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

The Creek is quite close to the cruise terminal however Port Rashid is a secure area and you are not allowed to walk in or out of it.  Plus, it is too far to walk you’ll need to get a taxi from the terminal to Al Fahidi St. in the Al Seef Heritage area where the Dubai Museum is located however, the whole Al Seef Heritage area beside the Creek is walkable once you get there.  

Anne...

Thanks for clarifying Anne.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Anne

thanks for taking all the time to help.  We will be visiting the expo for 3 days post cruise in November.  You advised cancruisers to stay along the red line in order to see the city and the expo.  We will only need access to the expo and were looking at the Marina area.  Can you advise?  

42 minutes ago, enewhere said:

Hi Anne

thanks for taking all the time to help.  We will be visiting the expo for 3 days post cruise in November.  You advised cancruisers to stay along the red line in order to see the city and the expo.  We will only need access to the expo and were looking at the Marina area.  Can you advise?  

That’s fine and whilst there is no Metro station within Dubai Marina there is a Red Line station easily accessible from there.... 

Anne...

2 hours ago, enewhere said:

Hi Anne

Try and get a hotel near a tram stop, then you can use the tram to access 2 of the metro stations on the red line. You can use a silver NOL card (which you can buy at any metro station including the airport) on both tram and metro. Really good efficient system in Dubai.

Simon

Hi Anne!  We will be ending a cruise in Dubai in May.  We have a long day to spend seeing things and a middle of the night air departure.  The Iftar dinners sound like a good way to end our day there.  Where is the best place to find information about which hotels etc and maybe some reviews? 

1 hour ago, tvmovielover said:

Hi Anne!  We will be ending a cruise in Dubai in May.  We have a long day to spend seeing things and a middle of the night air departure.  The Iftar dinners sound like a good way to end our day there.  Where is the best place to find information about which hotels etc and maybe some reviews? 

All hotels will serve Iftar dinners and as they are usually extensive buffets many just use their regular all day dining venue however, those with lots of space often set up special Iftar Tents for the duration of Ramadan.  It’s too early now to know what options will be available but a good source nearer the time would be online sites like WhatsOn or TimeOut or even a Google search for Iftar in Dubai should come up with a good selection.   

Anne...

Anne, I'd like to add my thanks for your many valuable contributions about Dubai. I just returned from my first visit, including some pre- and post-cruise time in your city. I took your advice and stayed at the Sheraton Dubai on the Creek--it was the perfect property for my needs. 

Hope your 2020 is off to a great start!

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Anne, I'd like to add my thanks for your many valuable contributions about Dubai. I just returned from my first visit, including some pre- and post-cruise time in your city. I took your advice and stayed at the Sheraton Dubai on the Creek--it was the perfect property for my needs. 

Hope your 2020 is off to a great start!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit and that the hotel was a good fit for you.  Whilst I'm the first to admit it isn't the newest, glitziest or upmarket property in Dubai it's location can't be bettered for a short stay and it's stood the test of time admirably...I find most of those Creekside properties get overlooked by leisure visitors these days in favour of the many 'new' Dubai choices...

Anne...

Agreed, it's not glitzy! But the room was very spacious and well-appointed, with a comfortable bed, great shower and all the amenities a traveler desires. More, the view of the creek boat traffic was priceless! And every member of the front desk staff was professional and friendly. I was a happy camper there--it's a very solid rec. Thanks, Anne. 

Hi Anne,We will be staying 3 nights pre cruise at The Hyatt Regency.All I know is that it is an older hotel but I don't know anything about the area it is in. Any pointers or help would be great. The only thing we have booked is afternoon tea in Burj Khalifa.

1 hour ago, UK Cruiser2 said:

Hi Anne,We will be staying 3 nights pre cruise at The Hyatt Regency.All I know is that it is an older hotel but I don't know anything about the area it is in. Any pointers or help would be great. The only thing we have booked is afternoon tea in Burj Khalifa.

It is one of the older hotels but still a popular one.  It is located across the mouth of the Creek from Port Rashid (and the Cruise Terminal).  It is quite close to the original gold souk and the spice souk however, there isn’t much more over that side of the Creek.  Taxis are easy to get and it’s only a short taxi ride either to Baniyas Street and the Creek, which is where the Sheraton Dubai Creek previously mentioned is, or to the nearest Metro station if you want to use public transport to get around.. I believe they also operate shuttle buses to various locations across Dubai, including Dubai Mall if you are visiting the Burj Khalifa... It’s also a short ride from the hotel through the Shindagha Tunnel over to the cruise terminal to join your cruise....

Anne...

Hello Anne, 

We will be disembarking a cruise ship in Dubai in early March.  We will be staying 2 nights in Dubai and then flying back to the USA on Royal Jordanian Airlines.  We will be in Abu Dhabi the day before we arrive in Dubai to disembark.  I understand that the cruise line (NCL) is handling visas for all of the ports on the cruise, and I just got to thinking that we might need a visa after we disembark in Dubai.  If so, how do we go about getting a visa?  And, is it free if we are staying such a short  time?  We will probably be in Dubai for less than 48 hours before we fly home.  I read something online about being able to get a visa on arrival.  Is this possible coming off of a cruise ship?  Thank you!!  Nancy

2 hours ago, MN Cruizin said:

Hello Anne, 

We will be disembarking a cruise ship in Dubai in early March.  We will be staying 2 nights in Dubai and then flying back to the USA on Royal Jordanian Airlines.  We will be in Abu Dhabi the day before we arrive in Dubai to disembark.  I understand that the cruise line (NCL) is handling visas for all of the ports on the cruise, and I just got to thinking that we might need a visa after we disembark in Dubai.  If so, how do we go about getting a visa?  And, is it free if we are staying such a short  time?  We will probably be in Dubai for less than 48 hours before we fly home.  I read something online about being able to get a visa on arrival.  Is this possible coming off of a cruise ship?  Thank you!!  Nancy

Nancy

If you are entering the UAE via the port of Abu Dhabi the day prior to embarkation in Dubai then you will already have received a short visit visa there that covers your stay right through until you exit the UAE via Dubai Airport for your return flight to the USA..... You need to do nothing further.....  

Anne...

Hi Anne

We have booked a cruise and stay package and the hotel before the cruise is the Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha. I understand it is close to the Mall of the Emirates and a Metro stop but seems to be quite a way from the Creek and the Fountains. It also seems to be quite far out on the Hop on Hop off map which we were thinking of using to get around. Should we bother?

Thanks

Anne (another one :))

30 minutes ago, Cyclospora said:

Hi Anne

We have booked a cruise and stay package and the hotel before the cruise is the Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha. I understand it is close to the Mall of the Emirates and a Metro stop but seems to be quite a way from the Creek and the Fountains. It also seems to be quite far out on the Hop on Hop off map which we were thinking of using to get around. Should we bother?

Thanks

Anne (another one :))

Anne,

If you scroll back through this thread you will find posts from Simon (sddsddean) who used the Holiday Inn Barsha as a base during his pre-cruise stay about a year ago and used both the Metro and the HoHo buses extensively to get around the city.  The Mall of the Emirates is on the HoHo route and is I believe a changeover stop between a couple of the different colour routes.  It is quite a way out from the Creek but it is only 3 or 4 stops on the Red Line from  MofE to Dubai Mall for the Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Fountains.   As for the hotel itself, hopefully Simon will see this and comment on that directly for you...

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff