Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sddsddean

Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

Recommended Posts

On 10/17/2018 at 8:50 PM, sddsddean said:

 

Thanks Anne. I thought it must be something like that. Ah well, something to cross off the 'things to do' list!!

Simon

 

 

You can definitely cross that one off your list.  This was taken this morning by a colleague on a site visit to a project overlooking Bluewater Island and the Dubai Eye still has no pods on it...

 

Anne...

7F7FAC62-C1E4-464F-8A21-179F2D7D708C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne

 

Sorry to bother you again. Just looking at electric voltages etc and it would appear you use UK style square 3 pin plugs. I thought we were the only ones that had them! Is that correct? 

 

 

Much more commmon than you might think, in Middle East, parts of Africa and Asia - a relic of our imperial past 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anne...me again! Got everything more or less sorted except for our transfer from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. I have read reviews with people saying they paid around 350-400AED for the trip, but most of the car services I look at on line are much more than that. I was pondering the idea of asking the hotel concierge to sort us a car out when we get there, but I'm in two minds. What do you think? Should I wait or sort it before we go? Any recommendations?

 

Thanks

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anne, good morning.

We’re looking for a hotel in Dubai that will be easier to get around with using the metro or water taxi with food eateries close by, (elderly seniors) and have narrowed it down to two, the Millenium plaza hotel On Sheikh Zayed Rd, and grand millennium business bay, which is a new hotel.  I’m not sure if the water taxis are easily accessible by foot, no more than a 10 min walk from the last hotel.  If you have any info on these two places, can you please give some advice on them? Also which would be best for location for visiting sights?   Or maybe taxis would be better?

Alternatively, could you recommend a decent hotel, please?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne...me again! Got everything more or less sorted except for our transfer from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. I have read reviews with people saying they paid around 350-400AED for the trip, but most of the car services I look at on line are much more than that. I was pondering the idea of asking the hotel concierge to sort us a car out when we get there, but I'm in two minds. What do you think? Should I wait or sort it before we go? Any recommendations?

 

Thanks

 

Simon

 

Hi Simon,

 

From the side of Dubai you are staying to Abu Dhabi the Dhs.350 to Dhs.400 sounds about right to me and it is easy to arrange either an RTA taxi or an Uber or Careem (same as Uber but only operates in Middle East) once your’re here.   I just did a test booking on my Uber app and the fare estimate was Dhs.350 to Dhs.450, and I live over the other side of Dubai near the airport!!   Definitely no shortage of any of them so I’d leave it and book one when you are here....

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Northbay said:

Hi Anne, good morning.

We’re looking for a hotel in Dubai that will be easier to get around with using the metro or water taxi with food eateries close by, (elderly seniors) and have narrowed it down to two, the Millenium plaza hotel On Sheikh Zayed Rd, and grand millennium business bay, which is a new hotel.  I’m not sure if the water taxis are easily accessible by foot, no more than a 10 min walk from the last hotel.  If you have any info on these two places, can you please give some advice on them? Also which would be best for location for visiting sights?   Or maybe taxis would be better?

Alternatively, could you recommend a decent hotel, please?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

 

Hi Liz,

 

i know the location of the Millennium Plaza on SZR - it is very close to the Emirates Towers metro station so no problem getting around from that one.  There are also lots of other hotels along SZR so plenty of dining options plus more independent restaurants within DIFC (the financial district).  My only reservation is SZR is a main highway so it is a very busy traffic area not really the place for a leisurely stroll.  The Business Bay property is very new and in a quieter location right beside the water canal.  I don’t know how close it is to any of the water taxi stations but it certainly a nicer pedestrian area to walk around and there other hotels and restaurants in the area.   However, this one is not within easy walking distance to a metro station - the closest would be the Business Bay station which may be further than you would want to walk but you could easily get a local taxi to or from it... The Millennium Group hotels are a good choice  - we use one a little further out from those two and the one near the airport for business visitors regularly..

 

Anne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so very much Anne for your prompt response.

Which Millennium ones do you use for your visitors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Northbay said:

Thanks so very much Anne for your prompt response.

Which Millennium ones do you use for your visitors?

 

The Grand Millennium in Barsha Heights (formerly Tecom) and the Millennium Airport Hotel.....both are older properties than the two you are looking at but one is near to our offices and the other is handy for late arrivals or early departures...

 

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayayeff said:

 

Hi Simon,

 

From the side of Dubai you are staying to Abu Dhabi the Dhs.350 to Dhs.400 sounds about right to me and it is easy to arrange either an RTA taxi or an Uber or Careem (same as Uber but only operates in Middle East) once your’re here.   I just did a test booking on my Uber app and the fare estimate was Dhs.350 to Dhs.450, and I live over the other side of Dubai near the airport!!   Definitely no shortage of any of them so I’d leave it and book one when you are here....

 

Anne...

Thanks very much. Thats put my mind at rest a bit. I'll leave it until I get there then.

 

Thanks again

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last question, Anne.  Which area would you recommend getting a hotel in when in Dubai for a week and not renting a car, so basically relying on taxis or metro?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Northbay said:

One last question, Anne.  Which area would you recommend getting a hotel in when in Dubai for a week and not renting a car, so basically relying on taxis or metro?

 

 

 

 

The area you are already looking at is good as the Red metro line runs the length of Sheikh Zayed Road.  So anywhere between the World Trade Centre and the Mall of the Emirates and beyond, so either directly on SZR or in Downtown (Dubai Mall & Dubai Fountains & Dubai Opera House) or Business Bay or around the Mall of the Emirates... If you want to go over to ‘old’ Dubai then you can still use the Red line to go over to Deira side for a walk along The Creek or go to the Spice Souk or to take an abra (the original small water taxis) ride along The Creek... There are plenty of metered local taxis to get to anywhere you can’t get to by Metro...

 

Anne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Northbay said:

Thanks so very much Anne.  You have been extremely helpful.  Have a great weekend

 

 

Mine’s just about over as it’s already 9pm  - you need to adjust your week when you arrive here as the weekend is Friday & Saturday so it’s back to work in the morning!!!!  ☹️

 

Anne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Northbay said:

Hi Anne, good morning.

We’re looking for a hotel in Dubai that will be easier to get around with using the metro or water taxi with food eateries close by, (elderly seniors) and have narrowed it down to two, the Millenium plaza hotel On Sheikh Zayed Rd, and grand millennium business bay, which is a new hotel.  I’m not sure if the water taxis are easily accessible by foot, no more than a 10 min walk from the last hotel.  If you have any info on these two places, can you please give some advice on them? Also which would be best for location for visiting sights?   Or maybe taxis would be better?

Alternatively, could you recommend a decent hotel, please?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

I am not a Dubai guru like Anne but I have been to Dubai several times...adding my 2 cents.  

 

Of the 2 choices Millenium plaza hotel On Sheikh Zayed Rd, and grand millennium business bay I would pick Millenium plaza hotel.  Yes it is a little older hotel but all hotels in Dubai are relatively new.  There are some decent places to eat around the area.  Chances are you will be eating elsewhere vs. near the hotel.  The BIG advantage of this location is you are within 2 minutes walk to the Emirates Tower Metro station. It is very easy and fast to get around on the Metro in Dubai.  It does get very crowded especially on Friday / weekend.  You may want to consider going for the Metro's Gold Class if you want more comfort.

 

How many days are you planning to be in Dubai?  What sights are you planning to see?   Even with the metro please be prepared for a lot of walking to see sights in Dubai.  The Dubai Mall (Downtown Dubai) is only 2 metro stops from the Emirates Tower.   The walk way to the mall is about 15 to 20 minutes and the Mall is HUGE!  I think seeing Downtown Dubai / Dubai Mall is a must.  If you want to go up to Burj Khalifa you should book online ASAP to get the best time (before sunset).  However in the winter time there is a chance of fog.  As Anne suggested it is a short ride on the metro to get to the "Deira side (Gold Souk area) for a walk along The Creek or go to the Spice Souk or to take an Abra (the original small water taxis) ride along The Creek."  The original Abra ride is fun and cheap.  Deira is where you would find GREAT authentic restaurants at a fraction of the cost of downtown eateries.  If you are ok with some bumpy ride I HIGHLY recommend going for a dessert safari / sand dune / evening Arabian camp / BBQ dinner / dance show experience.  Your hotel consiege can help you book it. See on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dubai+desert+safari+

 

Laurence

 

image.thumb.png.01c4f9d6d548d16e32ae027670487ffa.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Laurence, for all of your suggestions.  Very much appreciated.  All the above are on our list plus a few others, but we’ll pass on the bumpy ride in the desert.  We have a week and have built in some r & r time in there too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anne, it’s me again.

 

Is the Dubai Canal around Business Bay definitely opened, and water taxis up and running in Business Bay?  I notice the Marissa transfer Station is only 3 minute walk from Business Bay Millennium H. 

 

Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Northbay said:

Hi Anne, it’s me again.

 

Is the Dubai Canal around Business Bay definitely opened, and water taxis up and running in Business Bay?  I notice the Marissa transfer Station is only 3 minute walk from Business Bay Millennium H. 

 

Liz

 

Liz,

 

Yes, the water taxi service is in operation.   The Water Canal was completed a while ago now the whole length of its course however, it doesn’t actually run around Business Bay, more throught it...  The link below will take you to the Water Taxi section of the RTA website...

 

https://www.rta.ae/links/marine/en/dubai-water-taxi.html

 

Anne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne, would you know if the water taxi stops on a regular basis at Marasi station, or would you have to prebook?   I do like being able to get around the sights by water rather than using the metro all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Anne, I have found the answer using the website.  You have been most helpful, and we truly appreciate the time you take to address our concerns as we plan our visit to your beautiful and innovative Dubai.   Can’t wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Northbay said:

Thanks, Anne, I have found the answer using the website.  You have been most helpful, and we truly appreciate the time you take to address our concerns as we plan our visit to your beautiful and innovative Dubai.   Can’t wait.

 

Liz,

 

You're very welcome - many people have very misguided ideas of what they will find here so always happy to help with 'reality'.   When will you be here??

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

 

Liz,

 

You're very welcome - many people have very misguided ideas of what they will find here so always happy to help with 'reality'.   When will you be here??

 

Anne...

In March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...