Cruise Critic Community
swimmingpool50

ideas for gifts for cabin stewards on Christmas cruise

This sounds like an extremely bad idea to me. Many of the ship staff have religious objections to alcohol and some of the others may just not to drink alcohol. With regard to maple syrup, what if they don't eat pancakes or anything else like pancakes. If you are from the south are you going to recommend a box of grits.

If you are from the Philadelphia area, what about some scrapple. For those of you not in the know, this is the definition of scrapple-

"Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit",[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. "

I used to live near Philadelphia and I would not eat the stuff.

Not to overly beat the dead horse but the only always appropriate gift is cash.

DON

"If you are from the south are you going to recommend a box of grits."

not only that, but also

RC Cola

Moon Pies

and Goo Goo Clusters !!;p

I have 2 friends who use on work on ships & they have told me they appreciate small tokens of appreciation - in particular edibles. I always bring nuts & chocolates & have very often been given gifts in return ie champagne, flowers, trinkets from their countries etc. Most celebrate Christmas even if only in a generic way. If they don't eat what you give them they trade. Don't worry about the flamers, just keep in mind that we can all be different & have different thoughts & opinions, & yours will be appreciated.

This sounds like an extremely bad idea to me. Many of the ship staff have religious objections to alcohol and some of the others may just not to drink alcohol. With regard to maple syrup, what if they don't eat pancakes or anything else like pancakes. If you are from the south are you going to recommend a box of grits.

I guess in my defense, my assistant waiter was sharing his wine preferences with me and mentioned some vineyards he recommended I visit if I ever make it to Serbia - so I knew he drank wine. I gifted him a bottle for (Serbian) Christmas along with an envelope with extra $ at the end of the cruise. He was at least polite enough to act appreciative, and I figure even if he didn't drink the wine I'm sure he had a buddy on board that would.

Not to cause trouble, but if you give cash would they need to report it as a tip?

Always cash. Can you imagine if even half their assigned cabins gave them something “special”? They have very limited space and cash is always the most appreciated form of appreciation.

Cash is king....

Although, if your cruise is a long one and you develop any kind of rapport with the staff, find out what they like.

We had a waiter many years ago that we love (Sutti). We cruised with him a few different times and got to know him well. It came up in conversation one night that he loved Fanta Orange Soda (no idea why) but was running low and had to work during the next day in port.

We picked him up a few bottles and gave it to him the following night at dinner. Along with cash at the end of the cruise hahah

-Andrew :):)

The crew doesn't need any liquor. Drinks are dirt cheap at the crew bar. Cash is king. The only reason you are giving a gift is to make yourself feel better. The crew are not your friends.

The crew doesn't need any liquor. Drinks are dirt cheap at the crew bar. Cash is king. The only reason you are giving a gift is to make yourself feel better. The crew are not your friends.

I agree! They get time ashore and have access to many of the things mentioned in this thread.

Give them CASH and let them decide. :rolleyes:

I understand that you want to give something at Christmas that is more personal than cash, just as a way to comommorate the season of giving. I would give cash PLUS a little personal gift like a small box of sweets or snacks that could be shared with the rest of the crew. It's the thought that counts, so if they don't care for it, they can set it out on the tables of the crew mess hall.

I do understand about giving cash, and we give extra cash in addition to the auto gratuities. But last cruise, we went to the Alaska Fudge Store in Juneau and bought way more fudge than would fit in our luggage ( or our stomachs). We asked the steward if we could leave some of the unopened fudge for him to share with the rest of the crew, and he seemed very appreciative. Crew members often cannot disembark at every port to go shopping. -- EBC

Give them whatever you want.

They will keep things they like and eliminate things they don't like or need.

Cash is great, a new car is great, candy is great, pictures of you and your spouse are great, Princess brand bar napkins are great.

Not to cause trouble, but if you give cash would they need to report it as a tip?

I think that is a very good question. Have not seen an answer to that.

By what I have read in other threads you would think they have to but then again if it is nicely wrapped up as a present, including the bow, who can tell;).

Theo

Cash, cash, cash.....

Crew other than officers have very little cabin space for anything material. If they are in need of phone cards, they know exactly what they need and where the best deals are. I let the steward decide what they need.

Because of horror stories I had read on these boards, ANY MONIES GIVEN TO CREW IS DONE SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE THE LAST DAY. If there is any policy on the ship where tips have to be turned in, it's up to the crew person to own up for money that could have already been wired home.

Not a cabin steward, but a young lady working in the jewelry store got to do a helicopter tour with us in Alaska. She didn't have a camera with her and had assumed there would be a ship videographer/photographer along she could get pics from.

I gifted her with an SD card of pictures of her from the tour (along with various scenery shots from the tour and Alaska in general) - she was super excited fwiw.

We are on a cruise out of Melbourne Australia for Christmas and New years this December

we always tip our cabin stewards at the end of our trip

but wanted to give some thing wraped up for Christmas as a thank you as well

ANY IDEAS?

Why would you treat them like a charity case. They are paid professionals. It's insulting. Do you gift wrap thank you presents for everyone you meet? If you give them cash it goes into the tip pool even if you leave the auto gratuity intact although some disagree about this point.

Certainly, if someone provides cheerful, exemplary, superior service to us for a week or longer and works to make our vacation go as smoothly as possible, then for Christmas I would feel appropriate in giving extra cash, along with a small gift of fine candy or a snack.

Crew members get some hours off sometimes, but it is not always on a port day. Sometimes, on a port day, crew members are assigned to work all day, and they cannot get off the ship and into port to go shopping. So it's fine to give a small personal gift for Christmas, plus extra cash.

We always leave the auto gratuities in place; and for exemplary service, we hand the crew members cash in one of the white envelopes from Guest Services. And we always fill out a comment card for outstanding service, as that gets the crew member a few extra hours off. The crew tells us that they have to hand in the envelope of cash, but if the passenger has kept the auto-gratuity in place, then the crew member is allowed to keep the cash.

So, it makes us happy to do that to thank the crew for their hard work in serving us.

You could look on YouTube for directions on how to fold the bills (once again CASH) into origami or some other clever folds. Then find a small collapsible box, a piece of ribbon, voila gift boxed CASH! Easy to carry doesn't take much room and you can fold before you leave home. We did this with $20 bills folded into origami cranes and left them for our cabin steward on the bed when we went to dinner. When we came back there was a little chicken made from a washcloth with a Thank You note from him. Worked well!

what a great idea

Why would you treat them like a charity case. They are paid professionals. It's insulting. Do you gift wrap thank you presents for everyone you meet? If you give them cash it goes into the tip pool even if you leave the auto gratuity intact although some disagree about this point.

we were given gifts of blocked chocolate from a cruise event planner with a hand written card on our last cruise earlier this year are we also a charity case

we were given gifts of blocked chocolate from a cruise event planner with a hand written card on our last cruise earlier this year are we also a charity case

Exactly! Someone here said "they're not your friends". That doesn't mean you can't be friendly & considerate. They appreciate it when someone treats them as more than a service person.

I'm saying this as someone who was in the service industry for more than 40 years. We loved it when people brought us goodies on holidays.

We're doing 38 days on the Caribbean Princess including the last cruise of our B2B2B which is over Christmas/New Years. Based on this thread, I've ordered some small gold organza drawstring bags, getting $200 in $5 bills. I'm going to put candy and money in each one and hand them out on Christmas day.

It satisfies my "need" to recognize my holiday (Christmas) by giving gifts (candy) and gives the staff something they want (cash).