Destination Venezuela

oldguysandgalls

Even way back in 1995 it wasn't all that safe.

We were on a ships tour in Caracas and were visiting some government compound when a riot broke out. The gates to the compound were shut, soldiers came running with bayonets on their rifles. I don't remember how long we were trapped inside but it was terrifying.

Very frightening.s it possible that Venezuela offers a steep discount on ship fuel these days.?

The Prinsendam is scheduled to visit Isla De Margarita on Mar 20, 2019. This appears to be the only cruise visiting there in 2019. HAL informed passengers that Americans will not need to obtain a visa.

Jim your mentiofuel at low price is likely correct. Ships did stop there for low cos t bunkering. I have no idea if Prinsendam is stopping th ere for that reason.

Edited by sail7seas

We also had port calls in Caracas in the late 90's and it was not really enjoyable. The ships docked across from a High hill covered with the poorest of shack homes and t he most awful smell. It felt so terrible to be on a luxury cruise ship and know that same as we looked up the hill to that profound povert y, they looked down t he hill at the ship. I was always happy when we sailed away. I don't remember feeling unsaf e or threatened.
Oddly, the thing I remember about these shanty towns was that so many of them had TV antennas.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app