seniorladycruiser

Do you buy wine package on board?

Hello. I was reading about the 2 wine packages you can buy, silver or gold. Do you buy this on the ship?

Yes...we purchase it from our MDR waitstaff who deliver our wine to us & they receive some benefits for selling it such as extra time off in ports.

Hello. I was reading about the 2 wine packages you can buy, silver or gold. Do you buy this on the ship?[/quote]

Where did you see info about these wine packages? I did not find them on the Princess website.

Thanks!

Where did you see info about these wine packages? I did not find them on the Princess website.

Thanks!

Unfortunately they are nowhere on the Princess website.

They’ve told me that’s because it’s not available on every cruise & even when it meets their 10+ day cruise requirement availability is subject to having sufficient inventory to offer it.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

do the unused punches for wine carry over to future cruises?:confused::evilsmile::cool:

do the unused punches for wine carry over to future cruises?:confused::evilsmile::cool:

No...once we got a couple of remaining bottles to take home.

Princess does not advertise this plan. At least in part because it is not offered on cruises shorter than 10 days (I think). Also sometimes they are low on wine and don't off it.

If you are on a b2b, you can continue to use a card purchased on the first leg thru the second leg.

We did it on a 21 day Med cruise and it worked well. Not offered on short cruises. I generally try to find a wine store in port and bring extra wine on board. Even with corkage for the bottles I take to the MDR I usually come out ahead and have advantage of a broader selection.

We were on the Pacific for June and most of July. Three cruises and the wine package was available on all. We knew several people who had it. We were fortunate and had the Sip & Sail.

On our last cruise, 19 day Panama, we got the 10 bottle silver and it worked absolutely perfectly. One bottle usually lasts us 2 nights UNLESS we do not stop them from pouring ;p

Have used the gold and it worked well. Problem I have is the wine selection is poor and the cost has gone up dramatically. Going to buty wine at shop in Southampton and having it sent to the Holiday Inn at the Port where we will be for a while.Sooner or later they willprobably raise the corkage fee to a level like other cruise lines, $20-25 Per bottle, then I will have to rethink the whole thing. French Champagne selection is poor on Princess.Bordeux poor and Calif wines not great. Mostly 3 times retail, used to be two.

Hello. I was reading about the 2 wine packages you can buy, silver or gold. Do you buy this on the ship?

You purchase it the first day you board. You can purchase it on Lido at the buffet. There's always someone walking around selling wine tasting or the wine package. We always purchase the one with the more expensive wine. There's also a table located in front of the elevators where the wine package can be purchased as well. We've always been able to purchase the wine on 10+ day cruises.

The problem is all wines listed may not be available. :(

Sorry that you’ve had that problem which thankfully we haven’t experienced.

Anytime it’s available we buy the gold package. Generally we have to ask for the package from our waiter in the dining room. Once we have the package we are often hounded about attending a wine tasting. We’ve finally figured out that we just need to say we already have tickets. We often choose a wine more expensive than $45 and pay the difference. Several times our choice has not been available. We don’t bring our own wine as we travel too far to bring our own and don’t want to bother lugging it to the ship.

We've always purchased the gold package (paid extra for some bottles) and it worked well for us. But we did a transatlantic last fall and the ship ran out of our favorite wine in the first couple days. They ran out of our 2nd choice just a couple days after that. We were frustrated and disappointed.

On our upcoming cruise, I'd like to bring a case on board and just pay corkage.

Quick question. When you purchase a Silver Pkg. does that mean you can only havethe wine at dinner but not in your cabin ? Are you given the bottles up front ?

Quick question. When you purchase a Silver Pkg. does that mean you can only havethe wine at dinner but not in your cabin ? Are you given the bottles up front ?

With any wine package you can only get wine from any dining room. You can drink it in the dining room or take a bottle to your cabin. You can get as many bottles at one time as you desire.

If you had wine at dinner you can take that unfinished bottle to drink it anywhere on the ship or they’ll store it for another time.

can you go to the dining room, select a bottle of wine from the list, then take the bottle to either vines, crooners, or even a specialty restaurant?...:confused:

can you go to the dining room, select a bottle of wine from the list, then take the bottle to either vines, crooners, or even a specialty restaurant?...[emoji782]

I haven tried it but you’re supposed to be able to drink it anywhere.

One flyer said that besides using it in any dining room (MDR/specialty) the wine package could be used in the buffet. Haven’t done it but as I recall have read posts from those who did it. My guess is that would take even longer than in a dining room to get the wine.

You have to go to the MDR with your wine card and your SS card. You can only get your wine when the MDR is open. We bring a bag with us and usually get 2 bottles at lunch so it's chilling for wine on the balcony in the evening. If you eat in the MDR, tell the waiter that you want to take a bottle or two back to your cabin and he'll get it for you before you leave. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE WINE BEFORE YOU TAKE IT! We ended up with 2 bottles we didn't ask for! Our mistake for not checking, now we do before we leave the MDR.

Sorry that you’ve had that problem which thankfully we haven’t experienced.

Same for us. We have never found a wine we want was unavailable.

We were on Royal in the Med a year ago and 25% of the wines on the wine list weren't available. We usually had to pick wines that were above the $45 limit on the Gold package. However it still worked out good value for money.

can you go to the dining room, select a bottle of wine from the list, then take the bottle to either vines, crooners, or even a specialty restaurant?...:confused:

We used the package in the speciality restaurants.

We've purchased the Gold package since our very first Princess Cruise. We try to have lunch in the MDR on embarkation and buy it straight away. We take the half bottle back to our cabin to enjoy on our balcony during sailaway. You can leave the bottle in the MDR and the waiters will produce it at dinner. This isn't always a fast service and we have had bottles go missing. You can also get the wine sent from the MDR to a speciality restaurant or vice versa. You can take these bottles with you anywhere on the ship but you may be asked by a vigilant waiter where it was purchased.

You can buy from the package at some bars, the buffet and specialty restaurants as well as the MDR. If you choose the silver package you can upgrade to the gold within the first few days of the cruise if there's nothing on the cheaper list that appeals to you. If you get the gold or silver you can pay the difference to upgrade individual bottles if that suits you better.

As someone already said, they frequently run out of the best wines, then the second best, before the end of the cruise. We often buy in advance and have the bottles put away or take them to our cabin. It's funny but the cheaper ones on the list are always still available.

Does anyone have a list of the wines available on each of the packages or does it vary by ship? We are sailing on a 10 day Canada/NE cruise on the Royal later this month. Sounds like a reasonable offer and with our share holders credit even better! TIA :D(y):wine-glass:

Does anyone have a list of the wines available on each of the packages or does it vary by ship? We are sailing on a 10 day Canada/NE cruise on the Royal later this month. Sounds like a reasonable offer and with our share holders credit even better! TIA :D(y):wine-glass:

Here’s a link to the helpful wine list created by ‘Steelers36’...Silver up to $31; Gold up to $45. If wanting wine that exceeds these limits you’ll pay the extra cost.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

Princess is promoting changes to drink options (wine & cocktails) that are to be implemented fleetwide this Fall so there will be some changes.

There are not specific wines available with the package. You can get any bottle that meets the price rules of your package.

Will you be on the Royal 9/25 sailing? see you there.

Here’s a link to the helpful wine list created by ‘Steelers36’...Silver up to $31; Gold up to $45. If wanting wine that exceeds these limits you’ll pay the extra cost.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

Princess is promoting changes to drink options (wine & cocktails) that are to be implemented fleetwide this Fall so there will be some changes.

Thank you much appreciated

There are not specific wines available with the package. You can get any bottle that meets the price rules of your package.

Will you be on the Royal 9/25 sailing? see you there.

Yes Royal 9/25. Not long now. :D See you on board

Thank you much appreciated

You’re welcome & have a great cruise on the Royal which we’ve enjoyed several times & looking forward to sailing again in the Spring from LA with only a drive to the port. :)

UPDATE:

Just off the Coral yesterday, the 7 day "Wine Country" itinerary (i.e. repositioning cruise from Alaska).

We were able to order a wine package on the first day, in the MDR.

On one of the days at sea, we were able to get a bottle of wine at lunch in Alfredo's (i.e. Sabatini's).

Took a few minutes but staff was happy to accommodate us. Asked them to hold the remainder for dinner in

the Bordeaux dining room. Had no issues retrieving it.

They were out of 2 different wines when ordered but were not surprised, as the Coral was moving down from Alaska.

I'm sure they are well stocked for the 60 day, occurring right now.

crawford...thanks for the update.

Did you notice any new wines like they’re promoting fleetwide this Fall?

We’re booked on the Royal’s Spring 2019 & 2020 Pacific Wine Country cruises to Vancouver & hope to have the wine packages available.