MarkBearSF

How to properly eat a scone?

On 10/9/2018 at 7:08 AM, brian1 said:
fizzy1 said:
That is the right way to do it !! Fork in the left, knife in the right

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct,and I am lefthanded,but have always ate that way.

Same here.

Someone up-thread mentioned 'cream cheese' - which is an abomination and should never be eaten with sweet scones!

On 9/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, pepperrn said:

Cut the scone across horizontally to produce two discs.

Spread the cream thickly on both halves.

Using a spoon, add a large amount of jam on top of the cream on both halves (don't spread the jam, just place it).

This is the highly correct, or "Devon" way, and is a tradition that dates from soon after early man first stood upright (indeed he did so to better grasp a scone with one hand, and spread the cream with a primitive knife held in the other).

Accept no heathen, unnatural substitute.

Cream first, jam second was ordained by the gods.

For further, logical proof; one dairy product (butter) that many spread on a scone for an "ordinary tea", is replaced in the "cream tea" by another dairy product, cream.

Quite easy to remember, both dairy products, and as nature intended.

(Avoid any faux/wrong/mistaken cream tea ideas that suggest reversing the cream/jam placement, esp if it comes from a county that isn't really part of England, where they've yet to get electricity, and where until fairly recently you weren't allowed to get married unless it was within your own family (your immediate family) 😄 ).

Enjoy your (Devon) Cream Tea 🙂 😄 😉

You convinced me.  

On 9/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, Shuffleboard Dude said:

I do possess infallibility in all questions that concern the most blessed sacrament of afternoon tea. Therefore I rule once and for all time that the Devonians are heretics whose false and evil teachings shall not be followed. It is JAM before CREAM.The sacred name of the baked goods of the lord is pronounced SKON.

Selkie74 is probably right. If jam or cream first had been the question of the last referendum, there would have been a fourth English Civil War. Oh, and cut the scones with the knife, its more preactical and elegant (and no heresy in my view).

You may be right, but I find it hard to take seriously advice about scones from someone calling himself "dude."  Advice on California cuisine, no problem.    

I’ve been diligently practicing scone deconstruction for the past month.  Now I’m concerned that I won’t fit in my tux next week on the QM2!  

OK,here's the scientific explanation.Jam is squishy and cream is thick and gooey.You can't put thick and gooey on top of squishy,it displaces the squishy.Therefore the solution is,thick and gooey has to be the foundation.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:47 AM, brian1 said:

OK,here's the scientific explanation.Jam is squishy and cream is thick and gooey.You can't put thick and gooey on top of squishy,it displaces the squishy.Therefore the solution is,thick and gooey has to be the foundation.

I don’t put anything thick on mine. A smear of lemon curd - jam is FAR too sweet - and a scraping of cream. No need to ladle anything on!

The scone is the treat, not the stuff on top.

1 hour ago, cruiseluvva said:

I don’t put anything thick on mine. A smear of lemon curd - jam is FAR too sweet - and a scraping of cream. No need to ladle anything on!

The scone is the treat, not the stuff on top.

Yeah,but my facts come from Einsteins undiscovered theory of levitivity.

By way of Magdalene, the 1428 one, not the 1458 one, I "learned my way …. take scone, pull'twist apart/break in half, giving me a top and bottom … I take bottom first, apply jam, top with cream, bite …. small bite, possibly three per half. Then, do same with top. NEVER make it a "sandwich"! My "Cornish" method works for me! While I know many Devonians, some quite worth their salt, I just cannot see splattering jam over clotted cream, dirtying plates and fingers. Tea goes into cup first. Then milk. For that, I'll fight to the death! Pinky up, out, hidden? Depends upon the company. And the roof overhead. In The Queens Room I'd go full stop, just because so many do, so join the fun! In the Queen's room, so in awe of The Presence, one could only sit like a lump, no matter it is said she likes cream first, then jam. No matter, anywhere, on sea, ashore, in town or in the country, try not to drop the cup.

I want to know where butter fits into the picture.  In my family, everything tastes better with butter - the more the better. 

Mom's warm from the oven scones, broken in two discs, liberal applications of butter (but not too much to be slick), good sized dollops of cream (whipped, no clotted available), small topping of fresh made curd, or smaller topping of home made strawberry jam.  But always, the sweet layer last - my theory is the weight kept the good stuff (the cream) on the scone as there was a risk of it sliding off into lap otherwise.

Fast forward 40 years, and I hear my gluten free scone for QE tea will come prepackaged.  It will only be a vehicle to get the good stuff to taste buds.  Sequence will be the same but with more cream to replace the butter and conterbalance the (bound to be) dry 'scone'.

No butter as cream replaces it .  Always clotted cream  . If you are just having scones and jam then yes, butter always

Edited by fizzy1

Thank you to EVERYONE!!  I have chuckled my way through this thread!!  And, in pantomime, practiced each and every process mentioned!

At the end of April, I'll board on a voyage to NYC -- and I can't wait to have a Tea Time and just watch everyone!!!  I may not have time to eat...

Candid confession:  During the TA Eastbound crossing at the end of Oct, '18, I casually engaged a different group each day during Tea Time aboard the QM2 asking the very questions put forward in this thread.  By day three, the staff was fully on to my game and played along as perfect foils and masters and mistresses of. misdirection.  The debate each day was predictably  vigorous, with absolutely not a single person changing his or her mind.  No blows were struck, although one elderly very English gentleman from Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, did, on our last day at sea, call me a "Gxx dxxx colonial" for asking the questions. My thanks to Deereke for more than once bringing me a day-old scone that readily fell apart whether broken apart by hand or cut with a knife.