Cruise Critic Community
Pappa Smurff

Cabin attendants

I believe most cabin stewards collect art. They are preferential to pictures of dead US presidents on greenish paper.

Is it normal to have gifts for the attendant who looks after the cabin ?

Thanks Bill

All they need/want or have any room for is cash.

They share rooming quarters with 2 to 4 people per cabin. There is no room for anything and who wants a bunch of knick knacks/candy/postcards from strangers.

Just cash :)

Is cash "expected" if we have already pre-paid gratuities?

No, it's entirely up to you and depends on how well you feel you've been treated.

There is no room for anything and who wants a bunch of knick knacks/candy/postcards from strangers

As little anecdote concerning the “no room for anything” comment: I was in Jacksonville, FL for work, staying at the Aloft that’s right across the street from Wal Mart. I went in there to buy a few things, and as I exited, I noticed several people outside, lined up with carts full of everything imaginable, from bags of potato chips and other comfort food items, to domestic appliances including flat screen TV’s. A bus pulled up to pick them up and that’s when I noticed that they were all wearing ID’s with Carnival lanyards. And that’s when it dawned on me that these were crewmembers doing a “little bit” of shopping while the ship was docked in Jacksonville.

I assumed that a lot of the things they were buying were items for them to take or send home, (which reinforces my belief that cash is the best gift as they can buy exactly what they want), but I did ask myself “where in the world are they goin to store ALL of that stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As little anecdote concerning the “no room for anything” comment: I was in Jacksonville, FL for work, staying at the Aloft that’s right across the street from Wal Mart. I went in there to buy a few things, and as I exited, I noticed several people outside, lined up with carts full of everything imaginable, from bags of potato chips and other comfort food items, to domestic appliances including flat screen TV’s. A bus pulled up to pick them up and that’s when I noticed that they were all wearing ID’s with Carnival lanyards. And that’s when it dawned on me that these were crewmembers doing a “little bit” of shopping while the ship was docked in Jacksonville.

I assumed that a lot of the things they were buying were items for them to take or send home, (which reinforces my belief that cash is the best gift as they can buy exactly what they want), but I did ask myself “where in the world are they goin to store ALL of that stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some of them sell to other high ranking crew and some take to friends in ports,

Is it normal to have gifts for the attendant who looks after the cabin ?

Thanks Bill

They want $$$.

I’ll ask if the need anything from port. On occasion they’ll ask for something if they’re not getting off.

Only other time I made our three stewards some hats/ear warmers for Alaska a few weeks ago. It was on the Alaska Journeys cruise and the only time the Splendor’s in Alaska. Otherwise the Splendor is in Mexico. Many of the crew were cold.

Gifts are not normal. We rarely tip over the auto-gratuities. We used to give additional tips regularly. These days the crew is so overwhelmed it's nearly impossible for them to go above and beyond the basic service. In the end, the tips they earn are more than the old days since they're doing more cabins.

We pre-pay the auto tips. Occasionally we have given some cash at the end of the cruise to our steward, head waiter, favorite bartender - but that is not every time. We do it if we feel someone has given outstanding service.

Do you work for gifts or cash? They would prefer cash...let them decide how to spend (or save) it!

Do you work for gifts or cash? They would prefer cash...let them decide how to spend (or save) it!

Nobody gives trinkets to waitstaff at land restaurants never understood why people would give trinkets to crewmembers.