Norwegian Getaway 9/9 through 9/16

GA Dave

Since my wife is a smoker, she was really in need of a "smoke break" at this point. Since I had virtually memorized the deck plans in my compulsive planning for this cruise, I was easily able to navigate her directly to the smoking area on deck 17 on the Haven sundeck. While she de-stressed, I explored deck 17 and all it offered.

IMG_1150_zpsxslhr5d8.jpg

The smoking area is at the far end of the noted deck area, separated from the rest by large plexiglass walls.

IMG_1151_zpsyb9cvvnj.jpg

The door visible in this picture is a crew entrance to Vibe.

IMG_1152_zpsapxxovzr.jpg

The sun deck area directly surrounding the cutout above the pool deck.

IMG_1153_zpsykuqnpvl.jpg

A view down to the deck 16 pool and hot tub area, as well as the outdoor lounge, where they serve breakfast and lunch.

IMG_1156_zps1nyfzq72.jpg

During his welcome, Anoop mentioned that we could access our rooms to drop off our luggage. By the time we had returned from deck 17, our room was ready!

IMG_1413_zpsaa0as5eg.jpg

We were in a starboard side Haven Courtyard Penthouse with balcony. It was definitely bigger than our OV on the Sea!

IMG_1159_zpsfp5oke2x.jpg

We had received two bottles of sparkling wine. One from Latitudes and one for celebrating our anniversary on the cruise.

IMG_1160_zpsbsuhsloy.jpg

IMG_1161_zpsxghjxlfk.jpg

IMG_1164_zpssbotbvga.jpg

We had reserved this cabin for multiple reasons: It is directly below the aft area of the Haven sundeck, so it has virtually no traffic/noise, the stairs to deck 17 are directly across the hall from our cabin, and there is also a door out to the deck 16 pool area across the hall as well. There was only one time the entire week that we actually heard someone move a lounger on the deck above us, and it was mid-afternoon. The other reason was that this cabin had a balcony approximately 4-5 feet longer (one extra glass panel section) than the other CPH cabins on the starboard side.

IMG_1165_zpsnw0ohaa9.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsmtibhu49.jpg

The safe in the room. We were able to keep quite a few items in there: two I-pad minis, our money envelope, passports, etc. I do not think it would be big enough for even the smallest laptop.

IMG_1167_zps514ne7h4.jpg

The restroom was a good size. Definitely a step up from our previous experience.

IMG_1169_zpsunuqmenc.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsghyydsqc.jpg

IMG_1171_zpskp9ubuji.jpg

Another nice feature of the rom was two areas to hang clothes, one on each side of the "hall" leading to the restroom, as well as provided robes, slippers and an umbrella. And many, many hangars.

IMG_1168_zpsguxfihyk.jpg

IMG_1540_zpsx8029uhh.jpg

IMG_1541_zpsu6mievqq.jpg

A view of Miami from our balcony

IMG_1172_zps26d3cgds.jpg

Another view from the balcony, looking forward. You can see the new terminal's footprint on the right side. It appeared that most of the footings had been drilled and concreted in place. You can also see our location in relation to the bridge of the ship.

IMG_1174_zps4t1hj1ue.jpg

Next came lunch in the Haven restaurant. Everything we had was excellent! This was the theme through the whole week. I had the lobster bisque, which had large chunks of lobster meat, the scallops, and the carrot cake. My DW had the French Dip. Sorry I missed pics of the main courses. Too hungry!

IMG_1177_zpsla41m21i.jpg

IMG_1176_zpsej9vtjs9.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsmcivyjpz.jpg

IMG_1179_zpshbdydori.jpg

IMG_1180_zpsubin19ge.jpg

Hello,

Did Anoop say how long he would be on Getaway? He’s a great guy and hope he’ll still be on in November. Loving your review....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately he did not say. He was awesome for us, as was our Room Steward Emmanuel and our Butler, Rodelio.

Just caught up with your post. Looking forward to the rest of it, you weren't lying when you said you took a lot of photos :D:D:D:D

It was great meeting you both

Jane from England!

Work has really bogged me down, but I hope to finish by the weekend. Still many pictures to upload! Including a great one of two very stylish ladies from the 80s party!! 😁

My DW, 55, and myself, 59, have not cruised for 16 years. Our last cruise was on the Norwegian Sea in 2002 in an OV. We had spent the last 16 years taking our kids to Orlando for vacations, getting them through college, and hosting our daughter’s wedding last summer in Michigan. Last September, we finally decided it was time for some “us time”, so we booked a MS w/ large balcony on the Getaway to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We booked last year on 9/23 and started the long wait.

Early in May, I began to explore the internet for information on cruising and, thankfully, found CC. The information found here made our cruise so much better! Reading reviews from BirdTravels and TheDougOut really helped us understand the ships in the Breakaway class and all they offer. The biggest break came when I discovered the “bidding” thread. We looked into all the posts about bidding on The Haven and decided to take a shot. We bid $700pp on a Haven Courtyard Penthouse and the same on a Fwd Facing Penthouse. I then starting checking the prices of both cabins three times a day, as nothing seemed to be selling.

During my morning check on July 4th, I noticed that the CY PH cabins still had 15 available, and only a few FF PH cabins had sold. That evening, I noted that the CY PH price had dropped $500/person. Adding in the additional perks we would receive, the total cost of a direct upgrade would be only $740!! I called NCL at 8AM the next morning and cabin 16710 was ours!!

Thanks for the reminder about checking the prices close to the date of departure. We would love to upgrade to a Haven spa room but it is out of our trip budget.

FINALLY all caught up with work, mowing lawns, unpacking, etc. Sorry for the delays to all cruising soon. I was able to scan in all the dailies, handouts, etc., so I will post them this weekend for your future information. I will add limited comments in between, then add our overall impressions, plusses and minuses, etc. for the end.

Enjoy the pictures and information.

CruiseNext%201_Page_1_zpskxlhtjs3.jpg

CruiseNext%201_Page_2_zpswrgy1v6d.jpg

CruiseNext%201_Page_3_zpsobqxbken.jpg

CruiseNext%201_Page_4_zpsr3694mxp.jpg

CruiseNext%201_Page_5_zpsk2lqymwa.jpg