Fjord4Fun

British Night on Fred

I was seriously considering a cruise on Balmoral next year but have just read about the cringe-worthy 'British Nights'. Do they still have them? P&O is bad enough with it's awful sailaway parties, but at least they are up on deck and can be avoided. If they are still held I'm afraid won't be joining them as I have no desire for such jingoistic behaviour that can only panders to the Brexit brigade.

You do not need to join in. You will see people dressed in the colours; some with t-shirts; hats and more and others who dress as every other evening.

There is usually a show in the theatre which has songs from British Isles etc. I can’t remember whether the ‘Last Night of the Proms’ music (which I quite like) is played or whether that was another occasion once. There are small plastic flags to wave if you wish.

As you say it is a bit toe curling if you do not enjoy that kind of ‘show’.

You can ignore it, dress in your own style and don’t go to the theatre. It is only one evening. The menu in the dining room also has a ‘British’ slant.

I wouldn’t let the planned evening deter me from the prospect of another wise enjoyable cruise.

Thank you Haywood. You are right, of course, but the thought of a cruise company that provides plastic flags to wave is at best 'nursing home' material and at worse vomit-inducing yuk!

The itinerary is interesting though so who knows...

Well, many people enjoy waving flags and wearing hats at the Albert Hall and I would say that is not seen as ‘nursing home’ atmosphere.

It was interesting to see the Norwegian flag waving on the quayside and from houses out on the hills as we left ports in the summer - strange that we don’t think of that as jingoism.

That was a very enjoyable Marella cruise.

As I said, it is only the theatre production which embraces British culture- English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish songs etc but thankfully there is no compulsion.

Perhaps my thoughts on this are tarnished by P&O flag waving, bingo knees up whenever leaving a port - playing Dambusters March whilst maneuvering past an Aida ship was not their finest hour.

The Last Night at the Albert Hall is a different kettle of fish as it's on British soil. In fact, I putting together a family trip to that very event next year. However, nationalistic displays of 'the little Englander' abroad are never in good taste and very embarrassing. If you are not embarrassed by such, then you probably should be.

Edited by Fjord4Fun

The most recent British night we saw was a little cheesy for my tastes but it is just one night after all and you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

They did something for each UK nation so highland dancing for Scotland, river dance for Ireland, pearly King & queens for England etc etc.

A lot of people wore red white and blue but as Heywood said kind of last night of proms vibe.

If it’s not your thing you can just give it a side step.

I have been - no flags from me - and will probably not go on my next trip in a couple of weeks.

I think the young dancers and singers try very hard to do the UK show as Eglesbrech says but I think the whole thing re flag waving has been somewhat tarnished - which is another story.

Your P and O story sounds inappropriate to me but I know others would probably really enjoy it.

Give it a miss if you don’t approve.

I can't mind if there was one on our most recent FO cruise this summer - it was from Rosyth so that might explain it !!!

There was on our first Fred the previous year and the plastic flags etc. was embarrasingly cringeworthy - we gave that aspect the big bodyswerve.

The singalong in the theatre is OK if you like that sort of thing.

I was in my early 30s the first time I ever went on Black Watch and I too thought British Night would be awful.

It is the best cruise i have ever been on and despite the majority of passengers being much older than me, I loved everyone and every minute, including British Night.

I loved it so much that when I got home, I immediately rebooked to join it on its next leg, which didnt have a British night.