lemonjelly

Itinerary lies !

I really think that when a cruise company puts a certain city/town on the itinerary then docks miles away they should have a duty to at least transport passengers to the city/town centre they advertised in the itinerary and not expect people to pay a transfer fee over and above the cruise fare !

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

You can always walk if you don't want to pay. It's free and may even be good for your body.

Lots of the advertised towns are inland. I would guess most cruisers are aware that Rome isn’t right on the water, for example. Other ports are a bit trickier. A small ship can dock close to town in Bangkok, but a big ship will end up in the commercial port miles away. I think in those cases the cruise line does make passengers aware that they aren’t going to be right in town. If they don’t, they should!

You can always walk if you don't want to pay. It's free and may even be good for your body.
Always love a walk into the centre but not when its a 20 min taxi/bus journey away

My point is if they advertise a place you should expect to be taken there or at least not charged for the transfer also not everyone is able to walk transfers to the town used to be complimentary in most cases but it seems they have become another money earning ploy !

OP,

It would be helpful for you to be more specific as to the port/city pairs of which you speak.

For your own country, some cruise itineraries indicate a port of call of London when in fact the ship docks at Dover or Southampton. (Can one imagine QM2 docking in London?)

Do your homework before you book a cruise.

Laura

This.

One should know that many famous cities and areas are inland...that is a logistical certainty. This is especially true in Europe.

Cruise companies do not lie they simple put something like Athens (Piraeus) which is simple.

A promise to provide transport to inland means cruise companies will jack up the cruise price and some passengers may want to stay in port or even on the ship. It also goes without saying companies like you close to the ship or touring with them.

I don't know of many people expecting to sail into Rome/Berlin etc. :D

I really think that when a cruise company puts a certain city/town on the itinerary then docks miles away they should have a duty to at least transport passengers to the city/town centre they advertised in the itinerary and not expect people to pay a transfer fee over and above the cruise fare !

I've been on some cruises where there was transportation provided to town and many where there wasn't. This is where research helps, as you can research where the ships dock and how far it is into town and make your own transportation needs.

If the ships were to provide transportation for free, then they would probably increase the price of the cruises and I would bet that setting up one's own transportation would cost less than what the cruise lines would charge,

There is also the case of where they actually dock in the town listed yet it is industrial or a bit remote so most need a shuttle there as well. Would that need to be disclosed? I think you have to study each port and decide what you want to do in each one. I don't think you can ever assume that you can just walk off a ship to the site you want to see.

But I agree that the port of call should always be listed. And on my actual cruise docs it is, it is just the glossy marketing info that omits that fact.

I'm with you op. Twice we cruised to St. Thomas and docked on the far side of the island because of current, to get to Charlotte Amalie, where the ship should have docked, we had to take a cab at $50 to meet our tour. Cruise line should have provided shuttles.

Cruise companies do not lie they simple put something like Athens (Piraeus) which is simple.

It would be less misleading if they printed Piraeus (Athens) instead. I agree with the OP, cruise lines ought to be clearer. Holland America did bus us 18 km to the advertised town of Huelva from a dock well outside town at no extra charge. Of course, Huelva was advertised as Seville (Huelva), although Seville is a 94 km drive from Huelva.

Left to their own devices the cruise lines will someday advertise ports as Palm Springs (Long Beach) or Cuzco (Lima).

I'm with you op. Twice we cruised to St. Thomas and docked on the far side of the island because of current, to get to Charlotte Amalie, where the ship should have docked, we had to take a cab at $50 to meet our tour. Cruise line should have provided shuttles.

I am guessing that you docked at Crown Bay which is about a 20 minute walk from downtown. The other dock, Havensight is also about a 20 minute walk from downtown. Neither is on the other side of the island they are across the harbor from each other.