Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
HOSKI

Please explain the Royal Caribbean apps to me

Recommended Posts

I decided to join this app thread because it seems relatively active and diverse compared to the other mostly single-issue posts about the app(s).

 

The app is everything I expected it to be after all the IT misfires I continue to experience with our upcoming February Oasis cruise. When I first loaded it, it couldn't find any reservations for me. Possibly I was a day or two before the 90-day limit. Then later, it showed what appeared to be a cruise compass for every day of the sailing. None of the items could be flagged or added to my calendar, but they were there.

 

After checking in on the website, the app continues to ask me why I don't use it to check in. Only there's no check-in option. The button to "get a jump on those check-in forms" takes me to my already completed profile and nothing more. There are no SetSail passes available on the app, although they are viewable on the web page.

 

As of today, the cruise calendar is completely empty. No reservations of any kind are displayed (dining, entertainment, shore excursions), and the daily planner is blank. When I swipe the "My Calendar" page to see if any reservations are shown there, the window shrinks to one row at the top of the page that's too small to read anything.

 

While proofreading this opus, I scrolled around again. Now the daily activities are showing, and some of our reservations appear. It has Chef's Table on the right day, but no FNDR or Bottomless Galley Brunch. The shore excursion tab is still blank, and some of the entertainment reservations are missing.

 

I could better understand if the info was either all there or all gone, but for it to periodically appear and disappear is not very reassuring. I will be sure to have paper copies of everything since clearly we can't count on the app to do anything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ted&Elle said:

I could better understand if the info was either all there or all gone, but for it to periodically appear and disappear is not very reassuring. 

If you read the countless number of RCI IT related threads, you would realize this is the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

If you read the countless number of RCI IT related threads, you would realize this is the norm.

I have read many of them and I do, just adding my frustration to the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 7:34 AM, Biker19 said:

No, though RCI app should be coming soon to Liberty.

RCI doesn't do that, you need a VOOM package.

Not without a VOOM package.

Just so I am clear...

We are on Oasis OTS this January...

If we wanted to download and use the Royal App, that is free to use but...

If I wanted to use the text others that are ALSO using the APP, I would need to have a Voom package of some sort...Correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bgoff60 said:

If I wanted to use the text others that are ALSO using the APP, I would need to have a Voom package of some sort...Correct?

Yes, unless the free chat function within the app is added by that time - Allure only for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

Just so I am clear...

We are on Oasis OTS this January...

If we wanted to download and use the Royal App, that is free to use but...

If I wanted to use the text others that are ALSO using the APP, I would need to have a Voom package of some sort...Correct?

No.  You do not need an internet package to text using the app as long as the app supports texting.  Currently I’m only aware of Allure supporting texting with the Roysl app.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the app have a social media only internet option or do you have to pay the $15 a day to check fb? Carnival has $5 a day social media only, curious if RCI does too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trinam2 said:

Does the app have a social media only internet option or do you have to pay the $15 a day to check fb? Carnival has $5 a day social media only, curious if RCI does too.

 

Royal has no social media option.  You would need a VOOM package for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is too bad...I can’t see spending $15 because I wouldn’t use it other than to check for messages from the kids.I know I can check in with them while in port, so I’ll stick with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The royal app also has our personal information with  set sail passes  for both DH and I, Crown and anchor information. along with all dining information.I believe the shows we chose will also be on the calendar.   As we are  getting closer, more information should be added to the app.  

Edited by Missymo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Missymo said:

The royal app also has our personal information with  set sail passes  for both DH and I, Crown and anchor information. along with all dining information.I believe the shows we chose will also be on the calendar.   As we are  getting closer, more information should be added to the app.  

When did your set sail passes and dining info show up in the app? We sail 3 weeks after you and we don't have that yet.  Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

When did your set sail passes and dining info show up in the app? We sail 3 weeks after you and we don't have that yet.  Thanks for your help!

Showed up last time I looked about 2 weeks ago   There are 3 icons at top of home page,  a ship, homepage calendar , and a. person.  Look under person.  gives all your dining reservations,which dining room , any tours you are taking thru the ship  and now showing all the shows we  signed up for,   then click  to  the view set, sail passes.  Pretty much everything.  Have a great trip.  

Edited by Missymo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Missymo said:

Showed up last time I looked about 2 weeks ago   There are 3 icons at top of home page,  a ship, homepage calendar , and a. person.  Look under person.  gives all your dining reservations,which dining room , any tours you are taking thru the ship  and now showing all the shows we  signed up for,   then click  to  the view set, sail passes.  Pretty much everything.  Have a great trip.  

When I click on the person all I get is my crown and anchor number and the dates of our cruise. Hopefully the other stuff will show up soon. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The paper Compass overrides the Royal Caribbean app.

Hubby and I were on Serenade of the Seas 12/10 to 12/21. I noticed that the online Compass and paper Compass more often than not did not match. Also, the app seemed to overcompensate for time changes, so that the times listed for activities were wrong.

 

Use caution when relying on the app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mikary said:

The paper Compass overrides the Royal Caribbean app.

Hubby and I were on Serenade of the Seas 12/10 to 12/21. I noticed that the online Compass and paper Compass more often than not did not match. Also, the app seemed to overcompensate for time changes, so that the times listed for activities were wrong.

 

Use caution when relying on the app.

App is totally useless activities and timing are not tied to the reality.... it is totally fake information! 🙄🥴👎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going on Harmony in february and both apps are supposed to work with Harmony. I wonder how that will play out.. Do I need both for various features, or should I just stick to one of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HaraldOslo said:

We are going on Harmony in february and both apps are supposed to work with Harmony.

I'm pretty sure the Royal IQ app was disabled on Harmony when they started using the RCI app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I'm pretty sure the Royal IQ app was disabled on Harmony when they started using the RCI app.

 

Great, thanks. We'll stick with the new app then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HaraldOslo said:

We are going on Harmony in february and both apps are supposed to work with Harmony. I wonder how that will play out.. Do I need both for various features, or should I just stick to one of them?

 

Where did you see that both apps are supposed to work on Harmony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Host Clarea said:

 

Where did you see that both apps are supposed to work on Harmony?

well the Royal IQ used to work, and then they added support in the Royal App. But it never said something about stopping support for Royal IQ 🙂

I see now on the Royal IQ app page that is says: 

Please note, Royal iQ only works onboard Quantum, Anthem and Ovation

 

So only the new app it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HaraldOslo said:

well the Royal IQ used to work, and then they added support in the Royal App. But it never said something about stopping support for Royal IQ 🙂

I see now on the Royal IQ app page that is says: 

Please note, Royal iQ only works onboard Quantum, Anthem and Ovation

 

So only the new app it is

 

Thanks for the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do not give the app permission to your location, what functionality or features, if any, will you lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, c breeze said:

If you do not give the app permission to your location, what functionality or features, if any, will you lose?

None that I know of - GPS doesn't work well inside anyway.

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, HaraldOslo said:

Please note, Royal iQ only works onboard Quantum, Anthem and Ovation

 

 

As of earlier this week, Anthem has switched over to the new app instead of Royal IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...