Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Kirk discussion

A new tropical storm formed quickly SW of the Cape Verde Islands. It is expected to intensify gradually and maintain at least tropical storm strength across the windward islands, a bit more south of the last one.

Way too early to talk about which islands may be impacted or what happens beyond. Will update once a day until we get closer and can really talk about where it’s going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kirk's forecast is unchanged today. It will march onward mostly westward with a little shifting north at times. Some strengthening but will encounter some hostile conditions and weaken in a couple days before it reaches the islands.

We should be able to see what islands will be impacted around Wednesday, with crossing the islands early hours of Friday. It is following a very similar path as Isacc and similar strength. Hopefully, it will be no more than a tropical storm and cause minimal damage.

Good news, Kirk has fallen apart and won't be tracked as a tropical system now. No more comments unless it reforms!

The remnants of Kirk have a 60% chance to reform over 5 days. So we are watching still. If it reforms, seems likely it will be weak and no worse than Isacc was. Stay tuned.

Kirk has reformed into a tropical storm and is again on a very similar track and strength as Isaac was. Like a twin, practically. So the good news is it won't be devastating, but the islands of Martinique, St. Lucia and Dominica (again!). Kirk is predicted to drop into a depression and fall apart south of Jamaica just as Isaac did. Let's hope for that scenario.

Hi, I have booked my first cruise leaving on the 30 out of new orleans. Supposed to hit Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I just heard about this storm and can anyone tell me what to expect? I know its difficult to really know the weather but if someone could just give me the full rundown that would be great. I booked excursions independently so changes would result in losing $$

Sharkbait, I doubt this storm will give you any trouble other than maybe a rainy day in Jaimaca.

Kirk is a moderately strong tropical storm as it head across the windward islands later today and tomorrow. It is pretty big, too, with tropical storm force winds extending outward up to 140 miles. So there are a lot of islands under Tropical Storm warnings now. I've see reports of preparations and most islands in the path have closed school and businesses today for preparations. It will bring bad weather as far north as the US and Britsh Virgin Islands. Even though it must not be taken lightly, hostile conditions await Kirk in the Caribbean and in 2 days weakening is fairly certain, and falling apart into a depression is still expected with a short number of days. The path continues to stay south of Jamaica and away from any other islands.

Kirk took a southwest jog at the last second and cross St. Lucia. Reports from the island include trees down, roofs off weaker buildings, and widespread power outages. But it's not a knockout punch and they will brush this off quickly. Just hoping nobody was hurt.

Kirk will most likely fall apart into a depression by tomorrow.Maybe even later today.

Bill .... Thanks for the update on St. Lucia.

Have you heard anything about damages to Dominica?

Yup. The move south means impact was very light there. Here's a quote:

"Tropical storm Kirk, luckily decided to go below us and we got some blows but really just rain and strong winds. Everyone is thanking the lord for sparing Dominica this morning on the radio which I am listening to now."

To add insult to injury, there was a noticeable earthquake this morning around 8am felt on many of the islands.

Yup. The move south means impact was very light there. Here's a quote:

"Tropical storm Kirk, luckily decided to go below us and we got some blows but really just rain and strong winds. Everyone is thanking the lord for sparing Dominica this morning on the radio which I am listening to now."

Thank goodness Dominica was spared this time around. They are just beginning to recover ....

Thank goodness Dominica was spared this time around. They are just beginning to recover ....

True, although this would not have hurt too much. Isaac was pretty close to this and just touched Dominica a little over a week ago. They did well.

Kirk is done! Not even a depression, it has fallen Apart all the way to post-tropical remnant in just 12 hours. No more updates unless something really weird happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums