Cruise Critic Community
Luv my furbaby

Safe St Thomas beach

hi all, I will be in St Thomas in a few weeks and am looking for a safe beach for a 60+ age woman to travel to solo.

I’ve been on the beaches in St John, but really don’t want to travel that far.

Thanks

I would recommend Sapphire or Coki beach. Sapphire tends to be a little less crowded. I haven't been to any of the beaches on St Thomas where I wouldn't feel safe as a woman of 63

Sapphire would be my recommendation, just because we consider it beautiful. It is home to 3 condo properties and very safe.

Secret Harbour is also a nice property (at least it used to be, haven't checked after the hurricane). Not a big beach area, with a bar/restaurant right next to the beach. Not as crowded as Coki, at least on our last trip.

We went to Sapphire based on everyone's recommendations and we were harassed by a drunk local. It was very crowded and I was not super impressed with the scenery. We are trying to find a new beach to go to. If you got to Sapphire they do have a bar/food options there and snorkeling gear for rent. 

6 hours ago, njrover0216 said:

We went to Sapphire based on everyone's recommendations and we were harassed by a drunk local. It was very crowded and I was not super impressed with the scenery. We are trying to find a new beach to go to. If you got to Sapphire they do have a bar/food options there and snorkeling gear for rent. 

Wow...very strange to read of that experience at Sapphire (harassed by a drunk local)! What was the nature of the harassment? Wondering if this was a condo renter perhaps? Locals are not normally on this beach. This is more typical of Coki...

I know more and more day visitors (cruisers) are going to Sapphire, for good reason, but there are areas to get away from the main “huddle” on busy days.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, blue_water said:

Wow...very strange to read of that experience at Sapphire (harassed by a drunk local)! What was the nature of the harassment? Wondering if this was a condo renter perhaps? Locals are not normally on this beach. This is more typical of Coki...

I know more and more day visitors (cruisers) are going to Sapphire, for good reason, but there are areas to get away from the main “huddle” on busy days.

She actually worked there. She was off that day and hanging out. When I complained to one of the workers they had said she worked there and they would have her removed. They eventually removed her. She was wasted, and just yelling out for us tourists to go back where we came from, calling people fat a$$es...on and on. We ended up going to Megan's Bay this time...very crowded...still not loving St. Thomas. 

14 minutes ago, njrover0216 said:

She actually worked there. She was off that day and hanging out. When I complained to one of the workers they had said she worked there and they would have her removed. They eventually removed her. She was wasted, and just yelling out for us tourists to go back where we came from, calling people fat a$$es...on and on. We ended up going to Megan's Bay this time...very crowded...still not loving St. Thomas. 

Thanks for the details. Strange indeed...Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties and that type of behavior just doesn’t happen there, I’m surprised she was even served or allowed to stay.

I would always recommend Sapphire, but there are also a couple less touristy beaches with food & drink and restrooms but no lounges if you want that. But STT is a busier island, and Magens and Coki are very busy.  Another great option there, if interested next visit,  is a daysail away from the crowds...