Cruise Critic Community
jmk22

Repositioning Cruises - Which way is best

Jet lag kicks my but, so if I'm planning to spend extra days vacationing in Europe I prefer to cruise US to Europe and arrive without jet lag relaxed and ready for my post-cruise touring. I fly home - better for me to experience jet lag at home than on vacation.

We have done Transatlantic both East and West quite a few times, and we really don't use the time changes as a consideration. Where we are going to, or coming back from is more important for us.

We did an eastbound on a ship with an enclosed solarium. This a great feature for any heavy sea day cruise, even Hawaii which we did twice. A US port stop of Boston. The 3 European ports were terrific, (Cork, Brugges, and Cherbonne), as well as the final port where we did a short tour on the way to a hotel. Others joined us for the tour and continued in the van to the airport for late afternoon flights. I can't even remember immigration, but something to consider. I'd ask someone who did this recently.

On our westbound, no enclosed solarium, so huddled under blankets in the corner near door for afternoon nap. The ports were Boston, N.Y. overnight and Cape Kennedy. For us this was transportation from a European cruise home and not much more expense than plane tickets. Immigration was horrendous for the 3,100 non US citizens who wanted to see Boston. Only maybe half an hour for us who were 2 of 350 US citizens. Even though I lived 65 years in NY/NJ there is nothing like sailing into Manhattan and being in Times Square in the evening.

To sum, take into consideration ship, ports, and the ports you will start out and end up in.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Forums mobile app

On 9/23/2018 at 7:23 PM, donaldsc said:

I think that this time zone change is hogwash as you your hourly change only occurs once every few days. My only parameter would be if I want to rest before my Europe land trip or after. That doesn't make any difference to me so I guess that in the end, whichever way is cheaper.

DON

Since Central European Time (CET) is 6 hours different from East Coast Time (EST), the time change actually occurs 6 times during a transatlantic cruise; sometimes 2 or even 3 days in a row.

Alan

On 9/25/2018 at 10:17 PM, Daytona_MAc said:

I've taken 3 TA cruises, all of them eastbound from the USA. Never had any issues with time changes, it didn't seem to be a big thing. Then again, I am not someone who pays close attention to a clock or tries to follow a fixed daily schedule. The first TA cruise was as part of a charter group to Europe and we took what was offered. The other two were chosen based on itinerary and price -- mostly the price for the flight needed to complete the journey. What worked for us in both of those just happened to be eastbound but we would have taken a westbound just as quickly if the schedule and airfares had been as good.

We were on a RCCL transatlantic once where the Captain decided to change the ship's clock at Noon rather than at 2 am. It provided one hour less during the day to do whatever activities you had in mind, but it did not take away an hour of sleep.

Alan

We love TAs and did 10 of them (5 WB, 5 EB) between 2009 and 2017.  Mostly on Princess, but last one was on HAL.  Obviously we love them!  They're a good deal price-wise and we've been to a variety of ports from Greenland/Iceland to Norway/Denmark and ports in between.  Only missed several ports (Shetland Islands twice due to weather) so we were lucky perhaps.  We've only done one from the Mediterranean (Venice to FLL), but enjoyed that one also.  The Cruise Critic groups are usually quite active on them, setting up small private excursions, which is a big plus IMHO.  The CC groups also usually plan a variety of onboard activities on sea days.

Much prefer a Westbound.    Getting an extra hour sleep every night on the crossing is so much better than  loosing an hour every day.    The crew also are much more relaxed as they also get the extra time to enjoy the crew bar.