Cruise Critic Community
MaritimeR&R

Using the Royal App for boarding

I downloaded the new app and it shows my set sail pass for my next sailing on Adventure. Do I need to print out a copy as well or can I just let them scan my phone like a boarding pass at the airport?

I'd print a copy, just in case things are not quite ready fro prime time.

:D Have you no faith...lol (I probably will just in case)

I thought the same thing on my last cruise. Would of been nice not to print it out but knowing their IT department it’s best to have paper just in case. For EN recently I didn’t seen anyone using the app at the terminal and if I had used only that I think I would of had to give my phone over to the check in agent as they took my paper document from me.

As Bob mentioned not sure they are fully ready for it yet.

My son indicated yesterday to us that when they went on their December 2016 cruise, they used the Royal IQ app for texting each other on the ship. Does anyone know if that works? Wouldn't you need the Voom on your phone for that? I was planning to have the Voom on my ipad for emails, streaming, posting, etc., but I don't want to carry the ipad around with me. Help! Thanks in advance.

My son indicated yesterday to us that when they went on their December 2016 cruise, they used the Royal IQ app for texting each other on the ship. Does anyone know if that works? Wouldn't you need the Voom on your phone for that? I was planning to have the Voom on my ipad for emails, streaming, posting, etc., but I don't want to carry the ipad around with me. Help! Thanks in advance.

This thread is about the Royal App, not the Royal IQ App. Those are two different apps.

The Royal IQ App only works on Quantum class ships and Harmony.

I suspect that with the recent introduction the free chat feature on the Royal App, the Royal IQ App is not long for this world.

Does anyone know if that works? Wouldn't you need the Voom on your phone for that?

Yes, but only on 4 ships.

No, it's an in app purchase that works without VOOM.

The new RCI app, discussed here, works on 8 other ships, and very recently, the app includes texting, within the ship, free.

My set sail pass will not load on the app. I do have a printed out copy but would have liked to try out the digital version.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed on Serenade larding on September 16. Used the set sail pass on the Royal App at embarkation with no problem in Boston. I did have a paper copy in case but not needed.

Does the texting within the Royal app have notifications? I know Princess has allowed free texting for a long time now but you have to remember to go check your messages because it doesn't notify you when you have a new one.

Does the texting within the Royal app have notifications?

Follow the RCI app thread - all info should be posted there. The texting feature only started last week and is still in beta.