Cruise Critic Community
susannahclair

NCAA Basketball Tournament Onboard?

HAL and cruising newbie here! Our family (with two middle-school-aged kids) is considering a HAL Caribbean cruise for Spring Break this year. We like the idea of quieter clientele and don't feel like our kids need water slides and a hundred screens to be entertained.

Our biggest concern: Spring Break is during the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and we hail from college sports land in North Carolina. My husband would be heartbroken to miss three rounds of the tournament while onboard. Any chance the games will be shown on TV or in a bar somewhere on the Nieuw Statendam?? I've done some googling of past forums and can't seem to get a clear answer.

Thanks for any info!

I would suggest not booking during the tournament if you want to watch many games. In the past HAL gets very few channels that the tournament is shown on.

You might see some games here and there if the ship version of ESPN carries them, but you certainly will not see the full range of games.

We were on the Koningsdam trans-Atlantic during the 2016 Cubs-Indians World Series and could see none of the games. I asked the CD before Game 7 if there was anything he could do to get just that game on TV, and he said no. The previous year, in Australia on the Volendam, we were able to see the entire 2015 Mets-Royals series.

In South America last winter I saw more than enough cricket and soccer to last a lifetime.

The ESPN that HAL receives is the Caribbean version. Last year on Koningsdam some of the NCAA games where shown on the stateroom tv's, but I cannot remember which channel showed them. They were also showing Ladies College Softball.

I know the March Madness Live App allows streaming if you log in with your provider. I am not sure if the IP would be restricted or not, it seems there was a discussion about this with other streaming apps recently. There has also been some discussion about the quality of the stream using the ship’s internet plan.

Happy Sailing!:)

Edited by syesmar
spacing

ESPN International which Holland America carries televised the NCAA Finals last year via their own direct feed from Dickie V and Jay Bilas as we were sailing south out of Key West to Honduras (aboard the Rotterdam).  Made the finals feel more like a regular season game - you won't get "One Shining Moment" at the end - but it sounded like they also carried the Final Four. 

Unfortunately, the NCAA has moved the tournament schedule back by a week this year, such that a week long spring break cruise in 2019 during the first week of April will mean taking chances with missing the regional finals now (Sat. Mar 30 and Sun Mar 31) which I don't think are carried by ESPN Int'l . . .    

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, bldvl89 said:

ESPN International which Holland America carries televised the NCAA Finals last year via their own direct feed from Dickie V and Jay Bilas as we were sailing south out of Key West to Honduras (aboard the Rotterdam).  Made the finals feel more like a regular season game - you won't get "One Shining Moment" at the end - but it sounded like they also carried the Final Four. 

Unfortunately, the NCAA has moved the tournament schedule back by a week this year, such that a week long spring break cruise in 2019 during the first week of April will mean taking chances with missing the regional finals now (Sat. Mar 30 and Sun Mar 31) which I don't think are carried by ESPN Int'l . . .    

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year for the Final Four and the National Championship game (just my luck that Loyola...one of my local teams...was in the Final Four).  For me, it did not feel right.  It felt like a glorified ESPN broadcast that I would see on a non-descript Monday night.  At least I DVR'd the CBS/TBS feed.  Since it looks like you are in the Caribbean during the time, I am sure ESPN Caribbean will have it, probably with the CBS/TBS feed.

Edited by saturn93