High end cruise

fishr

Which cruise line and/or itinerary would you recommend for an active healthy 60 year old couple looking for a high end cruise?

Here is a link for the Luxury Cruising section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444

A lot will depend upon what types of locales you want to visit, and also how long you wish to stay on the cruise.

And do you want something relaxing or some sort of expedition cruise, etc.

LOTS of choices, but you know what interests you.

GC

Depends how upscale you want and what kind of activity or adventures. Also on your interests. There are premium lines that are a step up from the mainstream ships and there are luxury lines. Generally the luxury lines are all inclusive (e.g. most alcoholic beverages are included) while the premium lines aren't.

If shows and lots of dining venues are important to you, then you would need to stay on the larger ships (near 1000 or more passengers). In that category, we enjoyed a cruise on Crystal.

If you want to go to unusual ports and even natural areas with no port at all, try the smaller ships (300 or fewer passengers). These ships often have water sports platforms or marinas built in and provide kayaks, snorkeling gear, etc. We have enjoyed cruises on Windstar.

Crystal is classed as luxury and Windstar as premium, but I enjoy sailing on Windstar as much or more. Service and food on both were extremely good.

I've got a cruise booked on Star Clipper, another small ship line; a bit less premium than Windstar but a bit more adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

Although classed as premium, I would check out Viking Ocean. They are 18+ only and with 930 pax have a good balance with reasonable entertainment options, excellent lectures and provide a comp excursion in each port

• Like 1

Oceania is another good Premium choice.  Great food, service and itineraries....4 small ships (684 passengers) and 2 larger ships (~1,200).  Not all inclusive but includes most things except alcohol.  Decent but minimal entertainment.   Most passengers are 50+ yrs old and few children on most cruises.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Mrs f. said:

Depends where you want to travel to. Our big retirement splurge is the Jan 2019   30 days cruise on Oceania.

I'm also taking an Oceania cruise (161 days) in January 2019 to celebrate retirement!!  Last day to work is January 2...the cruise starts January 30.  Can't wait!

30 days sounds AWESOME.:classic_biggrin:.....My sis and bil sailed for that many (might even have been closer to 45 days) back in April.

They flew to Singapore and started from there......I think they did 4 b2b cruises and didn't get back home till almost the end of May.

I wish you both well, with smooth seas and a wonderful retirement too.

14 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

That's a really long cruise. Where does it go to? Or may I should ask, where does it not go to?

It's Oceania's world cruise. Actually starts in NYC, goes to MIA to pick up more people then to LA to get the rest of us. If you start in NYC, it's 180 days long. Ours is 161 days long because we start in LA. If you go to oceaniacruises dot com and look for the 2019 world cruise,  you'll see the itinerary and map.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have to enter my vote here for Seabourn.    An all-inclusive, luxury line.   On Ovation/Encore, even the lowest priced rooms have balconies.   Specialty dining all included.   No tipping.   In-suite refrigerator set up with your choice of soft drinks, wine, spirits and replenished throughout the cruise.   All drinks at all venues on-board included:   specialty coffees, soft drinks, beer, mixed drinks and wine.   Double-sinks in the rooms, with separate tub and shower.   

Smaller-sized ships with 450 pax on the Three Sisters:   Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest, and 600 pax on the slightly larger Ovation/Encore.    All still considered "small" by cruise line standards today.

But I do agree with the other posters, it does depend somewhat on what is important to the individual.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, fishr said:

Which cruise line and/or itinerary would you recommend for an active healthy 60 year old couple looking for a high end cruise?

There are a lot of high end cruise lines to chose from but you state that you are "active".  My husband and I enjoy NCL(not high end) but we are in our late 60's and early 70's and we enjoy the wild water slides, the awesome rope course, rock walls, etc.  We want to do as many of the physical activities as long as our bodies will allow,. there is time latter in life for sitting around and playing checkers.  NCL usually has good entertainment, great speciality dinning restuarants.  If you are looking for more upscale check out the Haven suites.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed with Windstar and loved them.  You can be as active or slothlike as you choose.  We enjoyed the causal elegance and small ships (350 passengers and under) and no formal or semi-formal nights.  Between that an their laundry package you can pack very light.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...