Any noise from BB King Club on Zuiderdam? - Booked in C1045

keywestbruce

Hello. I have until the end of the day to book my cruise to the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. This will be my second cruise. I was concerned about noise on the first, and was delightfully surprised and how quiet and almost soundproof the staterooms were. This time, I have a connecting stateroom. From the posts I have read, I feel confident that the rooms are still quiet, and there is not much to worry about. I see however, on the deck plan, that BB King's Blues Club is on Deck Two, and I am concerned about music drifting through at night, down to the deck I am on, Main Deck #1. Anybody have any experience or feedback on this. I am sensitive to noise in hotels etc.., and just thought I'd check this out before booking. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!:)

We were directly below the BB King showroom on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago. We could hear a little of drum beat in our cabin but nothing that would keep us awake. Loved the cabin space and location. Would book one of these room again if we are on this class of ship. My biggest concern when booking this class of ship is that they seem to have large groups or get chartered after we book and then we have to change our plans.

Hello. I have until the end of the day to book my cruise to the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. This will be my second cruise. I was concerned about noise on the first, and was delightfully surprised and how quiet and almost soundproof the staterooms were. This time, I have a connecting stateroom. From the posts I have read, I feel confident that the rooms are still quiet, and there is not much to worry about. I see however, on the deck plan, that BB King's Blues Club is on Deck Two, and I am concerned about music drifting through at night, down to the deck I am on, Main Deck #1. Anybody have any experience or feedback on this. I am sensitive to noise in hotels etc.., and just thought I'd check this out before booking. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!:)

Hi!

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We had a lovely large inside cabin but were directly below BB King's Blues Club. The noise did not bother my DH but bothered me at times as I am noise sensitive. I suggest wearing earplugs(which I forgot) or bring a sound machine to drown out the noise of the base and vocalist.

Hi!

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We had a lovely large inside cabin but were directly below BB King's Blues Club. The noise did not bother my DH but bothered me at times as I am noise sensitive. I suggest wearing earplugs(which I forgot) or bring a sound machine to drown out the noise of the base and vocalist.

Thank you so much for your reply. What I ultimately did is book a 10 day cruise to the Panama Canal, but on the Island Princess. It cost a little more, but I had more options with staterooms. Appreciate your feedback.

My DH and I are both sensitive to noises and would never consider a cabin under the BB Kings or the show lounge, etc.

Thank you for your reply. I booked a Panama Canal cruise with Princess on the Island Princess. It cost a little more, but I have more peace of mind. Very sensitive to noise. I must say, I just went on my first cruise in July, and was pleasantly surprised not to hear anything through the stateroom walls with the adjoining rooms. Maybe I just was lucky, but it seems the ships are very well built for sound.

Thank you for your reply. I booked a Panama Canal cruise with Princess on the Island Princess. It cost a little more, but I have more peace of mind. Very sensitive to noise. I must say, I just went on my first cruise in July, and was pleasantly surprised not to hear anything through the stateroom walls with the adjoining rooms. Maybe I just was lucky, but it seems the ships are very well built for sound.

I love the Island Princess and I’m sure you will have wonderful cruise on her. I took her through the canal and found all the decks very uncrowded in general & during the time we went through the locks. Deck 8 has an aft viewing area. I highly recommend the Sanctuary for at least one sea day. Interior spaces are also more than sufficient. Don’t listen to the naysayers on the Princess boards regarding this ship. My apologies for hijacking your HAL thread.

I love the Island Princess and I’m sure you will have wonderful cruise on her. I took her through the canal and found all the decks very uncrowded in general & during the time we went through the locks. Deck 8 has an aft viewing area. I highly recommend the Sanctuary for at least one sea day. Interior spaces are also more than sufficient. Don’t listen to the naysayers on the Princess boards regarding this ship. My apologies for hijacking your HAL thread.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the positive feedback, and am very excited about this cruise......only my second one!

Hi Bruce

My wife and I are currently on the Zuiderdam. Our original stateroom was 1060 just below B.B. Kings, the noise was very loud. My wife was unable to sleep. Lucky for us , the customer service folks were able to move us to a quieter location and all is well. The good part about 1060 is that it was a larger cabin with some extra room. Hope this helps you decide. Safe travels.

I am currently aboard the Zuiderdam in cabin 1042 and I have not heard anything from the deck above, including anything from B.B. King. I have heard a bit of bass coming through from above when I’ve been in the hallway outside the cabin, but absolutely nothing inside the cabin.

I am currently aboard the Zuiderdam in cabin 1042 and I have not heard anything from the deck above, including anything from B.B. King. I have heard a bit of bass coming through from above when I’ve been in the hallway outside the cabin, but absolutely nothing inside the cabin.

Thanks for posting as we'll be in cabin 1042 next Spring. Good know about the noise level.

As for cabin 1042 specifically, there is a non-cabin space just forward of the cabin from which we have heard a LOUD roaring sound twice that lasts maybe 15 seconds. Our guess is that is has to do with a charging system for the vacu-flush toilet system (actually my engineer husband's guess). We’ve only heard it twice and it lasted just seconds. Of course if it happened in the middle of the night it would be a bad thing, but I think they can control when it happens, maybe? It was nothing that would keep us from rebooking this same cabin, but wanted to clarify my statement of not hearing anything.

Although the entrance to the BB King Lounge is on starboard, the bandstand is more toward port side, therefore any noise that bleeds down is heard in the port side cabins, not on starboard. The inside cabins on port side are more likely to hear something than the outside cabins.

I have been in many starboard inside cabins along that area, and never heard a thing. Outsides on starboard are even further away from the bandstand, and should not hear a thing.

Thank you very much for responding. I booked on another line, but this is good to know if I book on this HAL ship another time. I really loved Holland America. It was my first and only other cruise.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, kscarpetta2 said:

RuthC- So do you think J1053 and 1069 would be okay? We are traveling 8-17-19 to Alaska. 1053 on Main would be me, and my 23 and 21 year old boys. 1069 on Main would be my 73 year old early-to-bed parents? Thanks!

I've been in 1053 on one ship or another, and didn't hear a thing. I may have been in 1069, but can't be sure. Since that is more toward mid-ship, it should be safe.

28 minutes ago, kscarpetta2 said:

We ended up booking J1069 and J1073 (connecting rooms on Main deck, NA) for the 8/10/19 Inside Passage cruise. Can't wait!

Great! Hope they work out well for you. Since they are connecting rooms, they should be one double and one quad. They will also have the beds arranged so that sitting up in bed you can see the door to the passageway. That makes the walkway from one side to the other a bit narrow, but one side of the bed will open to the closets, and have a lot of space. The connecting doors will be at the foot of the bed on the other side.
When the cabins are not connecting, the beds are tucked into the alcove such that there's a narrow passage on each side, but loads of room to walk at the foot of the bed.